Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Griddle Grill

azray007

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I've been in the market for about 6 months for a Flat Top griddle. Blackstone has some nice ones, but then you see images where the frame rusts or is not super sturdy. I looked at Pitt Boss, and Razor and both seem to have plus's and minuses. The Pitt Boss seems like a winner until you see several reviews of the cooking surface warping and poor customer service. (This is all from reviews, so might not be true...).

A few days ago an image of a flat top grill passed by on my computer. It looked nice, so I had to track down what it was. Traeger & Weber have now entered the flat top market. After looking at both, the Traeger was the winner in my opinion. Before I pulled the trigger, I had two last things to do.

1. Contact RecTeq customer service to see if they have one in the works. (Task complete, the rep wasn't aware of RecTeq designing one.)
2. Post on this forum to hopefully get some attention to RecTeq.

I'm a loyal customer and even if I had to pay more, I would rather sport another ReqTec in my grilling area than to have a Traeger sitting next to it. Please RecTeq, make us a griddle!

Side note, I have an RT-340 and have put a skillet plate on it. The space is just too tight to use a cast iron griddle. I even tried putting a cast iron griddle on my Napoleon grill, but the frame of the grill just kinda gets in the way.

1677331785034.png

Walmart has a Blackstone 36inch with top on sale for $279. You can get three of those for less than the price of that one Traeger. The Traeger does look nice. I got my 28inch Blackstone for $200 awhile back and it looks just fine to me.
I have the RT-340 as well. I like it just fine, but not sure I would buy a Recteq griddle if they made one just because of the name.
I also have the Pitboss Sierra griddle but don’t like it because of the ceramic griddle surface that you can’t use regular griddle tools on. Used the Pitboss once…thinking about selling it.

I love my 36" 4 burner Blackstone.
I like the extra griddle space on the 36, but got a real good deal on the 28 and it is just the two of us so the 28 will be fine. Going to try some hashbrown omelettes on it soon. Several youtube videos for hashbrown omelettes.

I’ve watched a couple of videos that Matt Pitman put out on the Traeger griddle-it looks well designed and is indeed pricy. The U-shaped burners and steel plates that set up true heat zones look like a winner.

I had a 36” stainless steel frame Blackstone for 3-4 years and never cared for it. Just too flimsy for my liking. I gave it to my son-in-law after I bought a Pit Boss Serra last year. Like @epcotisbest mentioned, it’s a pain that you can’t use regular tools on the PB ceramic top, but otherwise it’s a fine griddle, well designed and built. Priced right at $297 when I bought it, but features and build quality should factor heavily into your decision. I’d give the Traeger a serious look if I were in the market for a new griddle.

I’ve watched a couple of videos that Matt Pitman put out on the Traeger griddle-it looks well designed and is indeed pricy. The U-shaped burners and steel plates that set up true heat zones look like a winner.

I had a 36” stainless steel frame Blackstone for 3-4 years and never cared for it. Just too flimsy for my liking. I gave it to my son-in-law after I bought a Pit Boss Serra last year. Like @epcotisbest mentioned, it’s a pain that you can’t use regular tools on the PB ceramic top, but otherwise it’s a fine griddle, well designed and built. Priced right at $297 when I bought it, but features and build quality should factor heavily into your decision. I’d give the Traeger a serious look if I were in the market for a new griddle.

I have only just read about and seen the Traeger Flat Rock in pictures. Seeing it in person might make me think the price is justified if the build quality and construction is heavy duty.
If the Pitboss had a steel top like the Blackstone, I think I would prefer it.

Serious question-why not just use the Pit Boss as if it did have a top like the Blackstone?

I have this sickness where I buy things I don’t need. I already had a Blackstone when I bought the Pitboss. Actually, now I have two Blackstones. I simply prefer the steel top. So, with three griddles, I just don’t care much for the ceramic top. If it was my only option, I suppose I would use it and learn to love it. I do have silicone and plastic tools to use with the PitBoss.
I have three gassers, three kamados, three griddles and a couple of regular charcoal grills and portables for camping too.
No excuse for so many, like I said, a sickness.

I like the extra griddle space on the 36, but got a real good deal on the 28 and it is just the two of us so the 28 will be fine. Going to try some hashbrown omelettes on it soon. Several youtube videos for hashbrown omelettes.
I recently saw one of those videos from Meat Church. Never had one, but after seeing it, I feel I might just need a hash brown omelet in my life!

That looks like a nice grill too. Thanks for sharing! Do you have one of these?
I wish - no different BBQ board they started discussing this very topic, maybe 2-3 weeks ago which is why I remembered it so easily. Someone there did have it and was thrilled with the ability to have 1/3 searing station and 2/3 flat top.
Common theme with any flattop is - use it or lose it... as in rust, unless you're keeping it in the garage.
Some guys claimed they spent more time de-rusting it than grilling on it. (not specifically grilla - just in general)

Not sure that anyone from recteq monitors this forum. But you're getting good info from several who have gone the flat top route. Good luck.

Before I pulled the trigger, I had two last things to do.

1. Contact RecTeq customer service to see if they have one in the works. (Task complete, the rep wasn't aware of RecTeq designing one.)
2. Post on this forum to hopefully get some attention to RecTeq.

View attachment 18662

I was looking at that one too. I’ve seen it in person and it appears well built.

Still kicking myself for not grabbing one at the end of last year when they were on clearance for like $199 I believe. My Blackstone was not that old at the time and was a gift but already rusting. Had a hard time justifying it but it is what it is. Good luck with your decision. I think unless they are kept indoors all will experience the environment at some point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back