Stampede First Pork Butt

shaywave

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
IMG_0591.jpg
Image from iOS (3).jpg
Image from iOS (4).jpg

First pork butt on the new smoker. It took 18hrs. I used this recipe: https://howtobbqright.com/2021/03/13/pulled-pork-on-a-pellet-grill/

One thing i noticed was the back half was much warmer then the front half. I'm not sure if it was because of the bone, or the door. Next time i think i'll rotate it when its got like 1-2 hours left to try and balance it out.

shay - looks great - I have my first one one right now. 5 hours in. This is my third cook on the new grill.

good to see a fellow Minnesotan cooking when its cool outside. Do you wrap your grill in a welding blanket?
I am still waiting for my grill but cant wait to start trying some recipes.
Agreed on winter cooking! Unfortunately, my grill plans were foiled by 19” of snow this last weekend 🥶.

I'm looking forward to my first one on the 700. I had a GM for a while, it worked well but frankly it never did shoulders the same as my WSM. I did 6 on the WSM once (yes 6!) and they came out perfect, black as coal bark. The GM never got that much color.

I'm interested to see how the new smoker does.

good to see a fellow Minnesotan cooking when its cool outside. Do you wrap your grill in a welding blanket?
I am still waiting for my grill but cant wait to start trying some recipes.
So, i did get a welding blanket and i put it on for my first cook, but the first time i lifted it up to open the cover i saw a few loose fibers on the grill. This freaked me out and i removed the cover.

I've only done a few other cooks, but so far I have had no issues with maintaining a temp in this MN cold. It hasn't been super cold when i was cooking either though, but i'm hoping i'll be fine. I am going to add a seal to the lid, just waiting for it to arrive, which i'm sure will help in the bitter cold.

If I do an overnight again when its super cold, i'll probably use the blanket. Its cooks where i have to spray the meat that i won't use the cover for, too much of a pain looking for loose fibers before opening.

So what kind of blanket? I've been thinking about one but it's the Panoxidized Felt type, which I thought i had read was better?

So, i did get a welding blanket and i put it on for my first cook, but the first time i lifted it up to open the cover i saw a few loose fibers on the grill. This freaked me out and i removed the cover.

I use a insulated cover for low and slow cooks when it's cold. It has a smooth outer shell so no fibers. Takes under a minute to put on or take off and has magnets to hold it in place.
IMG_3400.JPG

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A link to the cover would have been better than the video
The video shows testing with and without the cover so I thought it was useful to post it. Louisiana Grills is clearly displayed on the blanket but here's the link to their web site so you don't need to find it on your own Louisiana Grills 🙄

The video shows testing with and without the cover so I thought it was useful to post it. Louisiana Grills is clearly displayed on the blanket but here's the link to their web site so you don't need to find it on your own Louisiana Grills 🙄
Did that fit without modification? Cause if so, I’m for sure getting one! Thanks for sharing!

And which one did you get? They have a few different models.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back