Costco Pork Butt Rant.

BigDog

Ok this is the second time now I have purchased a Costco pork butt two pack and the were both cut oddly with a major slice about halfway down the middle. I make them work by tying them up with butcher string but why does this happen? It just seems odd to me.

20240114_152558.jpg

Those boneless I assume?
That's how they become boneless. I just use it as an opportunity to season even more meat, and kinda bundle it onto the grill grates, no strings. You're not exactly tying them up into a tight roll (according to the pic) so I don't know how much that's helping anything. Take temps and it won't matter in the end. Not picking on your knot work, just unsure what the string is accomplishing. If you made a roll (using your pic) from left to right - it would make sense and it would take WAY longer to cook. Unsure of the benefit though.

Not odd, Costco cuts the bone out and packs them two to a pack. Now there is two ways to look at this-take the bone(s) out and you are not paying for them, and( if it’s going to be pulled pork anyway, what does it matter? Plus, you can season the internal part of the pork so better flavor. The Blade bone of any protein adds zero flavor because it has no marrow, so no loss because of that. Season them, truss them, cook and enjoy. However, some enjoy pulling that blade bone out, and some want to do something other than pulled pork with the final product, so go with what you like. Plus, some want the ‘money muscle” (best part of the pork butt) intact, and pulling out the bone usually butchers that.

@SmokeOCD beat me to the response, but I posted my thoughts anyway.

Last edited:
I truss them so tightly they look like the string is going to cut them into pieces. I have experimented with both versions and didn’t notice a significant difference. I also like to season anywhere I can to boost the flavor profile. We have Restaurant Depots near my house when I want Smithfield Bone-In Butts.

IMG_9179.jpeg

I cook a lot of the Costco Boneless (a lot is relative I guess). It will make good pulled pork if I truss it. I do use it flat if I am making carnitas or something Cuban. Except for the Cuban pork or Carnitas,

I would always prefer to work with the bone in. Less prep work (no trussing) and there are no (few) surprises .

I will do 100 -150 pounds of butts at a time for pulled pork.

I truss boneless butts because:
1, I can't give up the real estate used by the flat meat.
2. I can't time the untied (flat) pork butts.
3. I am not sure how they would pull.

Just my 2 cents.
v/r r

I am not ready to single out COSTCO for selling me stinky meat. I won't say it hasn't happened, but Costco is a Good Supplier of Good meats.

That said, I have opened meat packages from purveyors and found them to smell really ripe. I set these aside with the wrapping in a sealed container and put them back into the refrigerator.

I will take the stinky meat back to any supplier who sold it to me and ask them to call the meat manager. I do not ask for refunds, but I do want them to smell their own product. I then ask them to dispose of it. Generally I will end up with a store credit.

Makes me feel better. :)

I will say, that it is uncommon to run into something so bad I cannot rinse it off and use it. More times with commercial packaged ribs then pork butts. All in all, the USDA seems to have a handle on meat quality.

v/r r

Last edited:
Just making sure I wasn’t alone, I stopped buying their butts and ribs a while back but was hoping things had changed.

Same here 👆. Costco refunded me and did not require me to bring back the smelly meat. The last ribs I bought there smelled so bad when I opened them you could smell it through the entire house. Rinsing them off did not help at all. I had to run out to Stop and Shop when they opened to buy some, I got the last three racks they had out. I have never had any problem with ribs or butts from S&S.

Costco’s the only place I’ve gotten smelly pork, for the small quantity I do it’s not worth the hassle, unlike rhouser’s dozen at a time.

Reactions: PRC
Are all of the the SmithField line? I got some rank smelling ribs of that line (brand) from Costco and have never bought them again. Just my experience, so it could have been a one off. Just not taking the chance. Sams, Kroger, Publix have never been rank.

Edit: Sams is 1.2 miles vs Costco 8 miles from home.

I do not recall the brand that our Costco carried, been too long. For me it’s been ribs and butts. rhouser has more experience , maybe he can guess at how often he runs into it.

I do not recall the brand that our Costco carried, been too long. For me it’s been ribs and butts. rhouser has more experience , maybe he can guess at how often he runs into it.
Around here (western warshington), it seems to be the "Swift" brand.

Just adding to the rant: I can't hand my Costco card to my son (same household) to go get me some stinky pork. They're actually really bad about it - checking the pictures on the back of the card. Sam's has no picture on the card, and no stinky pork.

Just adding to the rant: I can't hand my Costco card to my son (same household) to go get me some stinky pork. They're actually really bad about it - checking the pictures on the back of the card. Sam's has no picture on the card, and no stinky pork.
I understand why you would want to share an account but that’s what the Executive Membership is for as it can include up to 6 members for $60 each. If Costco doesn't put some reigns on admissions, it will soon look like a zoo. I hate paying for membership, getting into the fast checkout line and having to wait because several non member “poachers” have to get kicked out because they want the benefits but won’t pay the admission fee. It is especially irritating when they don’t even live in the same household (i.e., sister, brother, in-laws, etc.). That’s the definition of a freeloader in my books. They cost me time because they clog up the aisles wandering and grazing on the samples like they have never had a meal before, take away my time because they shouldn’t be in the checkout which means I have to wait longer, then have the nerve to buy the hot dogs and other hot concession foods for a discounted rate knowing they don’t deserve it/them (and again I have to wait). I hate to rant but I have been a full paying member since 1988 back in the Price Club days, and I hope they continue to limit access so we (the paying, honest, customers) can get what we pay for. I also have kids and when they turned 18, I got them their own memberships so they can appreciate the “cost of admission” for not only Costco, but as a lesson in life that not everyone gets everything for free by association. Just my twisted thoughts.

I have been a full paying member since 1988 back in the Price Club days, and I hope they continue to limit access so we (the paying, honest, customers) can get what we pay for.
I agree. We were among Costco’s first members and—for the most part—have been quite satisfied with the membership benefits. We also own a significant amount of Costco stock, so appreciate that the company is taking appropriate steps to maintain its business model.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back