First go at a flat only!

If one of you two try it, let me know if it ends up as greasy as it sounds.

I don’t collect pork butt drippings either, tried it once but when I saw the 1/2” of melted fat in the pan I couldn’t use it.

I really think it all starts with the quality of the meat and that one looks outstanding. I am still learning I did a 4.75 lb. flat and it took 12 hours can you tell us the length of yours?

Thanks

And, this doesn’t make the finished product greasy? That’s one of the main attractions for brisket for me; it isn’t greasy.

Just asking; you guys have the experience in this area that I don’t.

No, never "seems" to be / taste greasy to us
The Tallows tends to cook into the Meat during the wrapped / higher Temp faze of the Cook, giving it a moist, tender richness
Think of the difference between a Sirloin Steak and a Rib Eye cooked the same
13 Nov Brisket Flat.JPG

13 Nov Brisket Flat 1.JPG

13 Nov Brisket 3.JPG

But that's just my opinion
I have been wrong .... ONCE .... just ask my Wife .... it's been documented :rolleyes:

We've never tried Injection
I can see injecting the Broth after the "Smoking" (not before) and before the wrap / cooking
Might have to look into trying that ;)

OK, I must admit that I’ve never made or used beef tallow on brisket. Guess I need to start making better use of the fat I trim off the brisket cap.

So, can someone provide some tips on using beef tallow on brisket? Do you brush it on? Pour it on? How much do you use per application? I’m pretty old school with my cooking, but I am capable of learning new things. ;)
Hey Jim, sorry for the delay, busy weekend. I agree with everyone on how they use it. I like to slather it on at the wrap or inject back in to keep flat from drying out. As for the greasiness, I think the richness of the flavor far outweighs the greasiness. As all cooks know, fat is flavor so you're returning the rich beef flavor and moisture that has cooked off, without the actual fat itself. That said, I am pretty generous with how I slather over the outside at the wrap but when I drizzle over it after carving, I'm very light with the hand. Just like a good burger should grease the wrapper but not soak the whole bag. Brisket or beef fat is a free resource if you currently are just tossing it anyways, the pot is paid for, so just throw it on heat for about 4 hours and try it! You're too young to die just yet, so may as well play with your food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back