First go at a flat only!

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
Costco had a packer that apparently needed to be sectioned off for some reason so caught this Prime cut that resembled a flat only. Little different to do but easier than the full packer. Turned out pretty nice...

72EBA07F-93A1-48B0-8C21-5FD1BCE12F57.jpeg

AC66E342-3F48-4DF0-A78A-80F9F8D79625.jpeg

6E786862-EBDF-4DA2-913A-BE98B9551FDF.jpeg

0E0A5ED8-27BE-4E95-A153-5D0E698988F1.jpeg

Wow; that looks great! Why don’t I find these kinds of deals at Costco?
30.00 for a 6.88lb prime piece, It just stared at me until I took it home
I'd say it worked. Fine work for the middle of the week! What did you end up doing for prep and the cook?
So, I was a little worried about the lack of fat on top from their trim and that it didn't have a true point so I injected with Butchers BBQ Original Brisket injection. Rubbed with AP Brisket Rub from Academy. wrapped in plastic wrap and into fridge for about 36 hrs. Normally I don't leave it more than 24 hrs but I started the smoker yesterday, ran it for 2 hours and got busy and forgot to put brisket on haha. 225 for 4.5 hours untouched, wrapped tight in peach paper until 202, then into a thick styrofoam cooler for 2 full hour rest, then 20 min rest on cutting board before slicing.

Room temperature in a sealed container it can last up to a year. Longer in the fridge. Make sure you filter it (I use a coffee filter).

How long will that tallow last in the fridge?
Look in the upper right corner, you'll see my "Mason Jar" full of Smoked Tallow
1674225996330.png

After I use some, I'll put a Lid on it and as it cools, it seals it self
It'll last for months in the Pantry

We also do the same thing with the Lard I use for Pork Cooks

Last edited:
Good stuff
We use both their Tallow (when we're not using our own rendered) and their Lard
Hey Dean, do you render the lard from pork trimmings the same as tallow from beef fat? I have never made the lard myself. Here in KY they just issue everyone the old bucket of Field lard that goes under the sink at birth.

OK, I must admit that I’ve never made or used beef tallow on brisket. Guess I need to start making better use of the fat I trim off the brisket cap.

So, can someone provide some tips on using beef tallow on brisket? Do you brush it on? Pour it on? How much do you use per application? I’m pretty old school with my cooking, but I am capable of learning new things. ;)

@Jim6820 I usually spread a some on my butcher paper and a little on top of the brisket before I wrap. The paper absorbs the some of the tallow so it doesn’t suck it out of the brisket. Then I wrap it up and put it back on to finish. When I unwrap to slice I pour whats left in the paper over the brisket.I usually pour it over before I slice but have done it after and it coated the flat slices nicely.

I‘ve also used the smoked brisket tallow on chuck roasts that I cook like brisket. It adds to the flavor as well as adds moisture.

Hey Dean, do you render the lard from pork trimmings the same as tallow from beef fat? I have never made the lard myself. Here in KY they just issue everyone the old bucket of Field lard that goes under the sink at birth.

No, never have tried to render our own Lard
Never get enough clean Pork Fat to make it worth the time
We just buy it on-line from South Chicago Packing

So, can someone provide some tips on using beef tallow on brisket? Do you brush it on? Pour it on? How much do you use per application? I’m pretty old school with my cooking, but I am capable of learning new things. ;)

Hey Jim, like Waterboy, I drizzle enough on the Butcher Paper to cover an area large enough for the Meat to lay in
Then drizzle enough on the Meat to cover IT, then wrap it up tight
And the Dripping go on the finished product
I've started using Tallow on a lot of our Beef cooks
Gives an amazing "richness" to an already nice Ribeye

I usually spread a some on my butcher paper and a little on top of the brisket before I wrap. The paper absorbs the some of the tallow so it doesn’t suck it out of the brisket. Then I wrap it up and put it back on to finish. When I unwrap to slice I pour whats left in the paper over the brisket.
…like Waterboy, I drizzle enough on the Butcher Paper to cover an area large enough for the Meat to lay in. Then drizzle enough on the Meat to cover IT, then wrap it up tight
And the Dripping go on the finished product
And, this doesn’t make the finished product greasy? That’s one of the main attractions for brisket for me; it isn’t greasy.

Just asking; you guys have the experience in this area that I don’t.

That’s one of the main attractions for brisket for me; it isn’t greasy.
I know a lot of people that do the tallow route and I will likely try it, just because.

I'm with you though @Jim6820, I have injected with beef broth and been very happy with the results. I'm a little shy of slathering the brisket in a fat bath even though I know it's a proven technique.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back