Bull First Boston Butt on the Bull!

Eleuthros1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Before tonight, every BB I've done has been on my medium Big Green Egg. So I'm going 225, water pan and smoke tube for the first 5 hours. No wrap and no temp change until I.T. of 203.... Just like the egg. It'll be a great comparison between the egg and the Bull. I can already report that the Bull is MUCH EASIER to get started and stabilize. This 8lb butt went in at 10:30pm est. So here we go!
20200619_223610.jpg

This BB was prepped for smoke using Frank's Red Hot as a binder and dry rubbing RT Competition Rub and Everglades BBQ Rub.

Everything sounds great but you don't need to use a water pan on these grills, if you still want to I would put it on the right side of the grill away from the RTD probe.

Everything sounds great but you don't need to use a water pan on these grills, if you still want to I would put it on the right side of the grill away from the RTD probe.
So move the pan to the right side of the grate? I was just trying to replicate what I did with the BGE.

I have an BGE and always used a water pan. Not sure why, but on the bull its just not needed. Doesn't make any difference. I did love how easy the Bull is to get and keep temp. No surprise in the morning! Send pics when done. Keep us drooling. ??

Very interested in your experience as I'm doing two butts (similar size) for tomorrow. Based on what you're reporting so far, I think I'll start mine about same time.

It hit 203 I.T. at 4:30pm. So 18 hours total. It literally fell apart coming off the grill. It's now wrapped in foil and a towel in the microwave. We're about to pull it soon.

Attachments

• 20200620_162419.jpg
    20200620_162419.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 80
  • 20200620_162611.jpg
    20200620_162611.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 72
Wow.... Not disappointed at all! The smoke has a different flavor from the BGE but it's really GOOD!

Attachments

• 20200620_190417.jpg
    20200620_190417.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
Just put two butts on based on your timeline ?

Which was easier...BGE or The Bull?
The BULL by far! My BGE is a medium and 18 hours is the limit of a 225 degree smoke. This bull could keep on going forever and refiling fuel is a snap!

I also noticed you had a smoke tub on the left next to the RTD sensor inside. I would move that to the right side as well. That could also affect the temperature of the RTD sensor.

Good point! I didn't think about the temp sensor being on that side of the grill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back