Bull Question about Boston butt cook time

Welcome to the Forum Finsup
May have taken a bit longer than you'd hope, but the finished product looks GREAT

As usual, I'm going to throw my $0.02 in
Here's my Cheat Sheet on Pork Butts:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Pork Butt10hrs@Lo + 2-4hrs@25012 - 14 hours190 - 200Garlic, Onion, Pepper and Salt for 24 hrsRest for 30 mins

Haven't added that I slather them with Smoked Lard in a Foil Wrap for the last 2-4+hours
We buy them from Costco, so they come cut and de-boned
I cut them more to "Butterfly" them .... more surface area, more Smoke and Bark:

Easter Butts 1.jpeg

Easter Butts 2.jpeg

Easter Butts 3.jpeg
Easter Butts 4.jpeg
Easter Butts 6.jpeg
Easter Butts 7.jpeg

Two butts ~18.5 lb. Mustard slather with HGH Sweet rub then on the smoker (~225) @ 9:00 pm. Temped and probed done @7:00 am. Turned smoker down to low (180) and left butts in. 10:00 am placed butts in foil pan, covered with tin foil and placed in 170 oven. %:30 pm, pulled and made sandwiches using HGH Apple Jalapeno sauce. Killer combination. Learned that meat just wants to get done sooner sometimes. Usually the other way around, but I’ll take it. Vacuum sealed and froze the remainder in meal sized portions. 15 great meals for two old coots.

15 great meals for two old coots.
I'm imagining totes in the freezer, like a frozen file cabinet. Thumbing your way through, looking for dinner.
Ooh, bonus points if you have a dry erase inventory stuck on the front!

I've got the opposite system. Stuffed to bursting - just a slight clue as to what may be in there.

I've got the opposite system. Stuffed to bursting - just a slight clue as to what may be in there.
Guilty of both!

I'm imagining totes in the freezer, like a frozen file cabinet. Thumbing your way through, looking for dinner.

Like the idea. Will have to try.

I’m calling it a Boston butt because that is what was on the label from Sam’s. I guess it’s the same as a pork shoulder or pork butt, but my question is I just did my first pork cook on the RT 700 Saturday night into Sunday.

I put it on at midnight, intending to do a no wrap cook straight through started at 200 for eight hours, which is a little low but I saw a recipe for that on meet churches website. They call for you to crank it up to 275 to finish it off And get it to that 200° temp but for some reason this 7 pound Boston butt took 17 hours. After the first eight hours at 200 I cranked it up to 225 and started ramping it up from there and even to 275 for the last four hours. One of my experience buddies came over and made me wrap it in butcher paper lol . I figured that was a good idea cause it might speed it up.

My question is why did it take so long? Everyone kind of seem baffled because even at 90 minutes a pound that would only be like 10 1/2 hours whereas this one legit did not come off until 17 hours later. Make no mistake it was amazingly delicious and some of my more experienced buddies who have been smoking meat for a while. We’re very impressed. It was not dry at all and had great flavor and smoke. I’m just curious why it took so long.

Edit: Please don't judge me for the traeger liner under the butt haha

View attachment 18544

View attachment 18545

View attachment 18546
Next time fillet the butt in half and smoke at 275. 9lbs takes me 4 hrs and you’ll have twice the bark.

I smoked an 8 pound butt a couple weeks ago. I believe I posted pictures here similar to yours, from beginning to shredded state. It’s pretty good. I had wanted to respond to one or two items that you brought up.

But then I realized, I don’t really remember what I did. So I can go back and find my post end that will give me most of the answers I imagine.

But what I really take away from your threat here is that I need to begin to document my cooks so I can duplicate the good ones and avoid the bad ones, although in all honesty, I have not yet had a truly bad one. A couple didn’t work out exactly as planned, but nothing to prevent them from being good tasting meat.
I agree. I am horrible about recording what I have done. I am going to make a late resolution to start a journal about cooks, meats, quality and time. It can't hurt to record my successes or failures.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back