Favorite bbq sauce?

I like a number of sauces.
For pork sammies I think nothing is better than homemade Shack Sauce. It's the BBQ taste of my youth.
For glazing pork ribs I like original thickness Bone Suckin' Sauce.
For doctoring baked beans I like SBR's or Kansas City style sauces.
Then there's Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Stubbs, Head Country, and various French's Cattlemen's sauces as the mood strikes me.

We bootleg BBQ sauce from Fayetteville, GA to Seattle, WA. Little BBQ joint called "Speedy Pig" in Fayetteville.

I'm from that area and got hooked on Speedy Pig many years ago.

Not fond of sweet sauces..

Big John's Ole West, Franklin's pork BBQ sauce, Stubbs. All the SBR fans I recommend you try Big John's -much better but not as easy to find.

Homemade ketchup base for pork and chicken; homemade vinegar for basting and topping off a sandwich. Still working on a molasses base for brisket. Not there yet so still mix up a few store bought for burnt ends. I figure if I’m going to the trouble of trimming rubbing and cooking why put store bought on it? Not that there’s anything wrong with it. Love some sticky fingers Memphis style on a breakfast casserole with texas Pete’s or crystals.

Just curious what your go to bbq sauce is? I like sauce on all my bbq. I know some don't but I'm a Midwest KC type of guy. Thanks!
I’m in CHS. Mustard-based sauce is our go-to for pulled pork. Bessinger’s or Melvin’s are our preference. They’re brothers so they’re pretty much the same product. (Germans settling in the Midlands of SC brought the mustard to our state’s food culture…along with a focus on pork and sausages. African-Americans gave us the gift of slow roasting over wood/smoke as well as the use of all the pieces parts. That said, there are variations of that all around the country.)

For pork ribs, I typically glaze with SBR. I have melted some peach preserves into some SBR for ribs. I’ve had success melting some raspberry jam and a little sauce from a small can of chipotles in adobo sauce to put a different spin on ribs. I have to be careful as my bride doesn’t like spicy.

I do have a bbq sauce I developed that I like and have had some positive comments on. It has sautéed onions and bell pepper in it. You do get a bit of that bell pepper flavor and that may not be everyone’s cup of tea. It is more to the sweet side with a good hint of the vinegar with the sautéed veggies providing good support.

Pappy's White Lightning and Kentucky Straight Bourbon Bacon BBQ sauces. My wife picked these up in Florida and a girls vacation. Really good sauces.

Something I tried last rib cook, adding rub to the SBR's I put on for the last 30 min. Best I've made so far.

Best I've had is one by President's Choice (house brand at grocery store in Canada) called Beer and Chipotle. Especially after you crack it and let sit a couple weeks. Gets a nice bite. We'd buy 6+ bottles every trip up. And ask any family to make sure to bring me one of they visit. Have recently discovered that Buc-ees house BBQ tastes almost exactly the same. Buc-ees is slightly sweeter and thinner. I'm also a huge fan of Kroger's Moonshine Mop Sauce when in the mood for more Carolina style.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back