Favorite Wines with your BBQ

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I thought I'd start a thread for the wine lovers here. For beer and liquor lets please start another thread.

My wife has been a staunch Cabernet Sav fan for quite a few years. I've always been open to everything from whites to the big reds, depending on how I feel and what I'm eating.
While I enjoy a great Cab, I've been drinking a lot of Pinot Noir/Burgundy lately. Most of it from California or Oregon. It seems to hold up to the strong flavors of BBQ and still is bright enough to drink alone or with a little snack. I'm starting to really get into seeking out great, but daily affordable Pinot Noir. I think my wife is starting to warm up to it as well. Although I did make a point out of finding an outstanding 10 year old Cab Sav in our cellar, for our (her) 30th anniversary dinner a couple weeks back.

I've had some particularly good Pinot Noir from northern Cal and the Willamette Valley of Oregon. But this 4th, we had a block party and I wanted to find a cheap and good Pinot Noir. I discovered the Kirkland (Costco) Caneros for $9.99 a week or so ago. First I bought a couple bottles, then returned for 6 more. Then, I went back for another 6 bottles. Great stuff for $10. I highly recommend for anyone looking for a good Pinot at a modest price. It drinks like a $25-35 wine.

What wines are you drinking with your BBQ?

Have to love Costco. Good quality and good pricing. We are headed to the Santa Ynez Valley next week. We may not find lots of $10 bottles, but the central CA coast is one of our favorite places. Hard to keep us UCSB Gauchos away from our old stomping grounds.

Have to love Costco. Good quality and good pricing. We are headed to the Santa Ynez Valley next week. We may not find lots of $10 bottles, but the central CA coast is one of our favorite places. Hard to keep us UCSB Gauchos away from our old stomping grounds.
Enjoy the trip. Santa Rita Hills AVA is a popular AVA for Pinot Noir lately. I prefer pinot from colder regions, but a Santa Rita pinot will work now and again.

But seriously I have yet to find a wine that appeals to me. Any suggestions for a guy who knows nothing about wine would be appreciated. The one thing I do know is I really don’t like the sweet stuff.

Black Box Cabernet is surprisingly very good.

BTW I just finished Aaron Franklin's Franklin Barbecue book. There's a short chapter on what to drink with barbecue... It was all about the various beers.

Any wine that does not suck. Bad wines are bad. The bourbon barrel wines are all usually pretty good but pricey. I think wine snobs would scoff at that notion but I like them. But I drink it all. Depends on the meal. I like to pair things up properly.

But seriously I have yet to find a wine that appeals to me. Any suggestions for a guy who knows nothing about wine would be appreciated. The one thing I do know is I really don’t like the sweet stuff.

Probably ought to download the Vivino app and poke around in there. Heavy, dry reds and light, dry whites may appeal to you. Wines are acidic and food is often craved when drinking wine.

I will say that wine beginners often buy very inexpensive wine and say that they wouldn't know the difference between good wine and bad wine anyway. I really believe everyone can taste the difference, even first timers. If I were to give a first time beer drinker the cheapest beer available and ask it he liked it, I'm pretty sure the answer would be negative. Same for wine. Better to try a great wine right off the bat and try to seek similar pleasure in cheaper wines in the years to come.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back