Ever have buyers regret?

So I have the 700 and have a similar feeling when it comes to cleaning the drip tray. I tend to be using one side, so I modified a sheet pan and hammered one side into a lip to allow the falling into the drip tray. Now I just need to wrap the whole drip tray occasionally and all i have to do regularly is pull up one grate and refoil the pan and then slide it back under the grates. This doesnt help when it comes time to vacuum the fire pot, but will save you from removing multiple grates and the entire drip tray every single time.
You are right. Where it becomes the biggest problem is the clean up. Having to take everything out and foiling, vacuum out pot, putting everything back in. It’s much harder than I thought. The 340 was perfect weight with a table beside me and clean up wasn’t to bad. I will take what everyone has said and try it out. Thanks and much appreciated

So you got it before the price hike I assume? You could probably sell it for close to what you paid and put it toward the 340 if you really wanted to but I think you are in a good place having the "in between" with the 590 since you already have it.

I know about back issues trust me.. no fun. Went through physical therapy a few months back and did nothing so I live with it for now since that was a large out of pocket cost to me. Please take care of yourself.
Doctor told me that the only option I had was to live carefully each day not to fall and to accept one day I probably will lose my legs. I’ve accepted that and my family has as well. The back is a part of the body you really start to appreciate when it’s hurting. Yeah if someone offered somewhere around 750 ish I might would sell. My wife put me a front shelf on to try and help. She can hardly lift the drip pan but she wants me to at least enjoy what I love. I hope your back gets to feeling better as well and you take care of yourself to. I’ll keep you in prayer. Thanks so much

For most people, bigger is definitely better. For my condition, smaller and lighter is better but that’s the stupid choice I made 😂
Don't be so hard on yourself. You tried it, and it didn't work. It's called live and learn. Some really good suggestions, aluminum foil pans / roaster pans sounds like a possible solution.

I really appreciate the tips and that might be something I try out. I wish I could trade ya but I spent right at a 1000 and the wife says it would be selling and probably just getting a cheap small pellet smoker since I don’t cook very often anymore. I really appreciate the kindness. Looks like you have kept your 340 very clean. How long have you had it? Thanks again.

I had said about a year now but I looked and I got it in mid-November of 2020, so a year and three months.
It could be cleaner, as there is a lot of smoke staining on the outside of the lid and some on the hopper from heat coming out of the side probe hole.
I hope you find the right grill for you. I really like mine and use it often, along with multiple other grills. Here is a photo of the setup. Since the first photo, I modified the prep cart from the first photo and got a Kamado Joe Jr. to add to the collection, something that blew my wife's mind, another grill. There is a Blackstone griddle, another Weber gasser and an Akorn Kamado up in the shed too, but they don't get used much.
It is an obsession I suppose.

grills.jpg
grills2.jpg
cart3.jpg

Just want to say thank you to everyone that has taken the time to give tips and even positive words. I really appreciate everyone. Just have to say thanks. Good group of folks on here.

Good luck to you and I hope all turns out well. I can't imagine being as strong about it as you seem to be. I whine about my back all the time. My wife has a kidney disease and her kidney's are currently failing and she is on the wait list for a transplant, so wondering about the future is something a lot of folks go through.
I beat myself up everyday that I can't give her a kidney, but my health excluded me from being a donor, not back related, but diabetes. I had planned for 40 years to give her a kidney and now that the time is here I can't so I beat myself up about it pretty regularly. Guess I could use some of your positive attitude.

I had said about a year now but I looked and I got it in mid-November of 2020, so a year and three months.
It could be cleaner, as there is a lot of smoke staining on the outside of the lid and some on the hopper from heat coming out of the side probe hole.
I hope you find the right grill for you. I really like mine and use it often, along with multiple other grills. Here is a photo of the setup. Since the first photo, I modified the prep cart from the first photo and got a Kamado Joe Jr. to add to the collection, something that blew my wife's mind, another grill. There is a Blackstone griddle, another Weber gasser and an Akorn Kamado up in the shed too, but they don't get used much.
It is an obsession I suppose.

View attachment 15039View attachment 15040View attachment 15041
Very nice set up. Never can go wrong with more smokers. Thanks for all your advice and help

Good luck to you and I hope all turns out well. I can't imagine being as strong about it as you seem to be. I whine about my back all the time. My wife has a kidney disease and her kidney's are currently failing and she is on the wait list for a transplant, so wondering about the future is something a lot of folks go through.
I beat myself up everyday that I can't give her a kidney, but my health excluded me from being a donor, not back related, but diabetes. I had planned for 40 years to give her a kidney and now that the time is here I can't so I beat myself up about it pretty regularly. Guess I could use some of your positive attitude.
I’m so sorry to hear that. I have diabetes as well and that’s my fault to. Way over weight mostly from depression eating. If it weren’t for my wife and kids keeping me uplifted I have no idea where I would be. Life is definitely fragile and as a Christian I no God has plans for all of us and that’s why I just learned to take one day at a time. I appreciate everything and pray your wife gets healed and feels better. Keep your head up and take it one day at a time.

Seems like there has to be a friend or neighbor that would be willing to help with cleanup in trade for some great bbq.
Wish there was. I try and cook for different folks in my neighborhood as a blessing for them but so many around me have worse health than myself. Thanks so much.

Wish there was. I try and cook for different folks in my neighborhood as a blessing for them but so many around me have worse health than myself. Thanks so much.
What state are you in?

Doctor told me that the only option I had was to live carefully each day not to fall and to accept one day I probably will lose my legs. I’ve accepted that and my family has as well. The back is a part of the body you really start to appreciate when it’s hurting. Yeah if someone offered somewhere around 750 ish I might would sell. My wife put me a front shelf on to try and help. She can hardly lift the drip pan but she wants me to at least enjoy what I love. I hope your back gets to feeling better as well and you take care of yourself to. I’ll keep you in prayer. Thanks so much

That is some hard new to hear. My doctor did nothing and just sent me to PT which did nothing. I'm concerned about addressing but I'm afraid I'm at that stage. I can't do much without pain.

I would go ahead and list it for what you would like to get if that is the route you really want to go. I bet it would go quicker than you think. Many folks looking for the newer units with the dual band wifi.

You have an awesome wife.. Take care if yourself and I will as well keep you in my prayers as well. Enjoy grilling.. I know I do. Part of what keeps me going every day :).

Epcotisbest, that is brilliant! Thank you, I have all the parts and will be cooking real soon!!!!

I have the 700 and the 340 and 2 bullseyes and live close to RECTE-C!
My friend who has a Bullseye, uses a large aluminum chafing pan under his spatchcocks and large beef cooks, but yours is a simple and elegant idea.

Epcotisbest, that is brilliant! Thank you, I have all the parts and will be cooking real soon!!!!

I have the 700 and the 340 and 2 bullseyes and live close to RECTE-C!
My friend who has a Bullseye, uses a large aluminum chafing pan under his spatchcocks and large beef cooks, but yours is a simple and elegant idea.

Thanks. It works well for me, and with hardly any effect on flavor. At first I thought it might alter the smoke but does not appear to, at least to my taste.

So I have the 700 and have a similar feeling when it comes to cleaning the drip tray. I tend to be using one side, so I modified a sheet pan and hammered one side into a lip to allow the falling into the drip tray. Now I just need to wrap the whole drip tray occasionally and all i have to do regularly is pull up one grate and refoil the pan and then slide it back under the grates. This doesnt help when it comes time to vacuum the fire pot, but will save you from removing multiple grates and the entire drip tray every single time.
do you have any pics of the pan and how you modified it?

Hello sorry to hear about your back problems. I have a 590 as well but stainless drip pan I wonder how much heavier the cast iron is? Anyhow if it won’t work for you definitely sell it! I really like the convenience of the grill and my results have always been pretty good (other than some rubbery poultry skin still figuring that out). Hopefully it works out for you.

Hello sorry to hear about your back problems. I have a 590 as well but stainless drip pan I wonder how much heavier the cast iron is? Anyhow if it won’t work for you definitely sell it! I really like the convenience of the grill and my results have always been pretty good (other than some rubbery poultry skin still figuring that out). Hopefully it works out for you.
It’s a great cooker and that cast iron is a heavy beast. I’ve got all the pellets out and about to clean the inside out. Just got it covered up. Thinking on selling. Appreciate everyone’s help.

I bought a 340 a few days before Christmas this past year and it was a great cooker. Just the right size for my family and how much cooking space I needed. A few days later I got an itch that I needed bigger. Rec Tec took back the 340 and I got the 590. There’s nothing wrong with the 590, it has the big cast iron plate and a new dual band controller. The problem is I only use one side of it and have gotten discouraged with having to clean the drip pan of that size. I have severe back disabilities that make almost anything a struggle. The 340 was perfect size for cleaning and cooking. Thought about selling but who knows. Anyone else ever ran into buyers regret?
Big time regret on buying my 590 and accessories. Basically have a $1300 pile of junk. owned it for a year and I still can't sell it at a substantially reduced price.

Had to give an update on my so called buyers regret. I’ve had two cooks on my Weber kettle and after having to tend and sit more by the kettle I feel it’s only right to say I’m so happy I did not sell my 590. We have a lot of rain this week but when the sun comes back out I’m back on it with a brined chicken. I appreciate all the help folks let me no and I plan on using many. This forum is really great. Thanks all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back