Ever have buyers regret?

Bbqallday80

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I bought a 340 a few days before Christmas this past year and it was a great cooker. Just the right size for my family and how much cooking space I needed. A few days later I got an itch that I needed bigger. Rec Tec took back the 340 and I got the 590. There’s nothing wrong with the 590, it has the big cast iron plate and a new dual band controller. The problem is I only use one side of it and have gotten discouraged with having to clean the drip pan of that size. I have severe back disabilities that make almost anything a struggle. The 340 was perfect size for cleaning and cooking. Thought about selling but who knows. Anyone else ever ran into buyers regret?

@Bbqallday80 what made you want to go from the 340 to the 590?
Since this was gonna be my first real smoker I thought I needed bigger. I hate that part of me. I always think I need more when really all I need is simple

I cook no more than a chicken at a time and if I do a pork butt it’s just a 4 pound, when I cook ribs it’s just one slab. I miss my 340. The pellet consumption was better as well.

As an owner of a 340 and a 700, I don’t think that either is easer to clean or maintain than than the other. If you have to scrape and/or foil a drip pan, what difference does it really make? As for pellet consumption between the two, I really have never attempted to calculate what that amounts to. Where does the 340 come up short? I cannot smoke an entire non-spatchcocked turkey, not even a turkey breast unless I cook it on its side. There is just not enough headroom. For longer cooks, I need to keep an eye on my pellet level to ensure I don’t run out.

Where does the 700 come up short? Absolutely no where, compared to the 340. I know you are speaking of the 590 instead of the 700, but as long as you have the space for the grill, bigger may not always be better, but it’s not a liability either. I’d recommend be happy with your 590, it’s a great grill and will serve you well.

I agree to some degree. I live not far from Rec tec and was able to go multiple times and look at the inside of all the grills. The 340 is much lighter to have to lift and only one grate. That for a person like me is huge. But because I made a dumb decision I will have to live with a grill that probably won’t be ran to much. I have my Weber 22 and it runs very well. Maybe future I’ll find someone that would buy it or learn how to clean it with a easier way for what my back issues can stand. Basically my spinal cord is wrapped around my spine and I have 8 ruptured disc. I don’t have much leg feeling and pain is always severe but my faith is with Christ. Sorry to ramble but I hate when I make a regretful decision. Thanks all.

I agree to some degree. I live not far from Rec tec and was able to go multiple times and look at the inside of all the grills. The 340 is much lighter to have to lift and only one grate. That for a person like me is huge. But because I made a dumb decision I will have to live with a grill that probably won’t be ran to much. I have my Weber 22 and it runs very well. Maybe future I’ll find someone that would buy it or learn how to clean it with a easier way for what my back issues can stand. Basically my spinal cord is wrapped around my spine and I have 8 ruptured disc. I don’t have much leg feeling and pain is always severe but my faith is with Christ. Sorry to ramble but I hate when I make a regretful decision. Thanks all.
I’m so sorry to hear of your back issues. Things like that really make you appreciate the good things in life. Ruptured discs/extrusions and severe symptoms are far more common than people think, so I can’t imagine you are the only one with these struggles. Hopefully someone here has figured out some hacks to make grill cleaning easier.

Having a 340 I've occasionally wished for a Stampede. It would be nice to be able to cook up a bunch of ribs and have all the kids over, but that's the only times. I did manage to fit a smallish turkey breast and small ham on for xmas dinner.

I wouldn't say it's gotten as far as buyers remorse, I'm happy with the 340.

So you got it before the price hike I assume? You could probably sell it for close to what you paid and put it toward the 340 if you really wanted to but I think you are in a good place having the "in between" with the 590 since you already have it.

I know about back issues trust me.. no fun. Went through physical therapy a few months back and did nothing so I live with it for now since that was a large out of pocket cost to me. Please take care of yourself.

I too have a bad back with multiple surgeries and understand about back issues.
I have had my RT-340 about a year now and love it. It is a great performer, set temp and actual temp hardly ever vary and the size, while just a bit small, works for my wife and I.
I would like to share with you my cleanup tip that worked for me, as I too had some issues with cleanup and just the whole process of the heatshield and deflector cleaning. The single grate makes it easier, but the best thing I ever did is get a pan from wally world that has a raised grate in the pan. I wrap the pan in foil, put the grate on, spray it with oil and put whatever I am cooking on the grate above the pan.
As you can see in the photo, I keep foil on the drip tray, but that does not get dirty as nothing is dripping on it or running into the catch bucket.
This makes taking whatever is cooking inside easy too, as I just unhook the probes and with potholders, take the pan with the cook and drippings inside.
Then, cleanup of the pan consists of washing the grate, letting the drippings cool, then taking the foil off the pan and throwing out the foil and drippings. Easy peasy.
Now you might think this would take away from the smoke flavor, but honestly, it does not and it gives an extra layer of heat deflection, so nothing has come out overdone on the bottom.
I do most of my cooks low and slow, but this works for higher temp cooks too, like chicken and pork chops and even burgers, though depending on the amount of fat content in burgers, you can get a lot of drippings in the pan. Never overflowed though.
Anyway here is a photo of my setup with a brisket a couple of weeks ago and pork chops Sunday. As you can see, there is no clean up to the RT-340 itself as all the drippings are contained in the cooking pan.

One more thing...I am in North Georgia and if it is important to you and you would like to go back to an RT-340, I would consider trading with you. I have no reason get rid of the 340, as I really like it, but a 590 might be nice. I realize this would not be a fair trade for you and you would be losing out moneywise, and I think you would be crazy to consider it, but the offer is there. We would just have to work out the logistics. Not trying to take advantage of your situation, just putting it out there if you really want another 340 and don't want to have the hassle of trying to sell the 590 and buying another 340.
Good luck, and if it were me, I would try the pan like I use before making any other decisions and see how it works for you. Of course, you still have to take out the grates, tray and heat deflector to vacuum out the ashes and clean out the fire box every now and then, so it is not a complete solution to your issue.

brisket.jpg
pork chops.jpg

Last edited:
So I have the 700 and have a similar feeling when it comes to cleaning the drip tray. I tend to be using one side, so I modified a sheet pan and hammered one side into a lip to allow the falling into the drip tray. Now I just need to wrap the whole drip tray occasionally and all i have to do regularly is pull up one grate and refoil the pan and then slide it back under the grates. This doesnt help when it comes time to vacuum the fire pot, but will save you from removing multiple grates and the entire drip tray every single time.

I’m so sorry to hear of your back issues. Things like that really make you appreciate the good things in life. Ruptured discs/extrusions and severe symptoms are far more common than people think, so I can’t imagine you are the only one with these struggles. Hopefully someone here has figured out some hacks to make grill cleaning easier.
Back injuries are one of the most common things people suffer with. The bad problem is when the doctor tells you that one day you will go completely paralyzed and surgery can’t help. I just take one day at a time and enjoy my day to day life with my wife and kids and thank God I have what I do. Thanks

I too have a bad back with multiple surgeries and understand about back issues.
I have had my RT-340 about a year now and love it. It is a great performer, set temp and actual temp hardly ever vary and the size, while just a bit small, works for my wife and I.
I would like to share with you my cleanup tip that worked for me, as I too had some issues with cleanup and just the whole process of the heatshield and deflector cleaning. The single grate makes it easier, but the best thing I ever did is get a pan from wally world that has a raised grate in the pan. I wrap the pan in foil, put the grate on, spray it with oil and put whatever I am cooking on the grate above the pan.
As you can see in the photo, I keep foil on the drip tray, but that does not get dirty as nothing is dripping on it or running into the catch bucket.
This makes taking whatever is cooking inside easy too, as I just unhook the probes and with potholders, take the pan with the cook and drippings inside.
Then, cleanup of the pan consists of washing the grate, letting the drippings cool, then taking the foil off the pan and throwing out the foil and drippings. Easy peasy.
Now you might think this would take away from the smoke flavor, but honestly, it does not and it gives an extra layer of heat deflection, so nothing has come out overdone on the bottom.
I do most of my cooks low and slow, but this works for higher temp cooks too, like chicken and pork chops and even burgers, though depending on the amount of fat content in burgers, you can get a lot of drippings in the pan. Never overflowed though.
Anyway here is a photo of my setup with a brisket a couple of weeks ago and pork chops Sunday. As you can see, there is no clean up to the RT-340 itself as all the drippings are contained in the cooking pan.

One more thing...I am in North Georgia and if it is important to you and you would like to go back to an RT-340, I would consider trading with you. I have no reason get rid of the 340, as I really like it, but a 590 might be nice. I realize this would not be a fair trade for you and you would be losing out moneywise, and I think you would be crazy to consider it, but the offer is there. We would just have to work out the logistics. Not trying to take advantage of your situation, just putting it out there if you really want another 340 and don't want to have the hassle of trying to sell the 590 and buying another 340.
Good luck, and if it were me, I would try the pan like I use before making any other decisions and see how it works for you. Of course, you still have to take out the grates, tray and heat deflector to vacuum out the ashes and clean out the fire box every now and then, so it is not a complete solution to your issue.

View attachment 15037View attachment 15036
I really appreciate the tips and that might be something I try out. I wish I could trade ya but I spent right at a 1000 and the wife says it would be selling and probably just getting a cheap small pellet smoker since I don’t cook very often anymore. I really appreciate the kindness. Looks like you have kept your 340 very clean. How long have you had it? Thanks again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back