Stampede Drip pan question.

My experiences with Pam is that it gets gummy at higher temps and makes matters worse for cleaning. I did entertain the idea of using some food grade silicone spray, but ended up just using heavy duty foil.

My experiences with Pam is that it gets gummy at higher temps and makes matters worse for cleaning. I did entertain the idea of using some food grade silicone spray, but ended up just using heavy duty foil.
Yeah I’m using foil now. It’s kind of a pain but I figure it’s better than trying to scrape that crap off. Just saw the Pam in the cabinet and a light bulb appeared over my head. lol. Was afraid the answer wouldn’t be what I wanted to hear. Thanks for your time!

I just hammered down one side of a sheet pan so it has a spout and hang the lip over the edge to the trap and just foil the sheet pan. its much easier to move one grate over and slide the sheet pan out to refoil than foiling the entire thing every time. I do still foil the whole drip pan but rarely have to redo it as the modified sheet pan handles the majority of the dirty work.

Yep, the lecithin in cooking spay is your enemy at higher temperatures. An oil with a high smoke point, like grape seed oil, might be a different story 🤔

I think spraying Pam on the drip tray could make cleaning even harder since it could cook onto the surface.
I lift one grate, put it on top of the other, then simply use a old 6" drywall knife for a quick 15 sec scrap on 1/2 the tray, preferably when still warm, then slide the grates to the other side, scrape the other 1/2, done in a minute. Not trying to get it spotless, just get the thick of it off, it's a grill, I don't expect or care to get the drip tray shinny clean, it's just going to get more grease on it the next cook :unsure:

Honestly, I just put foil over it and change every couple of cooks, it takes maybe a minute. The foil width is perfect.

Honestly, I just put foil over it and change every couple of cooks, it takes maybe a minute. The foil width is perfect.
If you can remove the grates, remove the drip tray, remove the old foil, cut the new foil to size, apply and form the new foil, install the drip pan and install the grates in a minute, you're extremely fast 😲
I used to foil, but after several rounds of that, I tried scraping and never looked back. There's no right or wrong method, just the one that works the best for you.

If you can remove the grates, remove the drip tray, remove the old foil, cut the new foil to size, apply and form the new foil, install the drip pan and install the grates in a minute, you're extremely fast 😲
I used to foil, but after several rounds of that, I tried scraping and never looked back. There's no right or wrong method, just the one that works the best for you.

why would there be a need to remove the drip pan? Just saying 🤷🏻

Any foil from my experience impedes the flow of grease/juices into the grease bucket, plus I did the foil thing for about a month and found it to be more of a hassle. I keep my grill grates clean and vacuum out the fire pot and any accumulated ash about every other cook, and I do like to keep the outside of grill nice. :)

I'm a "foil-er." I've had my 590 for over two years and cook on it 4-5 times a week, so every week I pull the grates off, pull the old foil off, wad it up, throw it away, and then put the new foil on the drip tray. I fold it over the edges of the drip tray. It might take a little longer, but the more I do it the faster I get and there is nothing to clean up after scraping - which nobody ever mentions (and I'm not knocking those who scrape their drip pans).

why would you need to wrap it?
So it stays on better and grease doesn't get under it as easy, I'm done with answering your questions ;)
BTW, I don't foil so could care less how, why and when others do 🥱

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back