Foiling the Drip Pan

berkleegrad

Grill(s) owned
  1. Patio Legend 410
Curious why it is suggested NOT TO put foil on the long edges of the drip pan.Maybe the photo is enough to clarify what I’m asking.

IMG_0383.jpeg

When I foiled the suggested way, after 3 cooks on my new grill, too much fat had gotten underneath the foil, caked to the drip pan and was seared into place by my holiday hamburger cooking.

Thanks in advance….

Yup no foil, as you cook you'll develop an even patina of greasy goodness, just "lightly" scrape off once isn't gooey and it comes right off. No mess and no fuss, I just scrape onto my garage floor and sweep up the dry crud.

I use the non stick (non stick side up) HD foil. Depending on the cook(s) and grease build up, I use a 3 inch wide plastic spackle knife/scraper and the grease comes right off. The foil will last many cooks....I usually put on 3 layers at a time...makes it easy.
I have the 590, so tear off 3 sheets at 30 inches long each....Align them up on top of each other first, then attach them all to the pan at once.

In a video they said that putting foil up the sides could restrict airflow if there is overhang. I quit foiling after the the first couple of changes. Grease was always under the foil and it stuck to the drip pan. I use a scraper after every long cook and after 3-4 short cooks as others have suggested.

Someone on the site recommended to use foil and the long edges should stay inside the tray and angled inward. As long as your cook is on the grate and away from the long edges it works fine. At least it has for me.

I use the giant Costco HD foil. It wraps around all edges, I use a wad of paper towel to push the foil into the corners and crease it over the edges. It stays creased because it's extra thick. The paper towels are to avoid slicing up your fingers as you run your hand along the sides; It's like a paper cut but worse.

The foil will last many cooks....I usually put on 3 layers at a time...makes it easy.
The under-sheets don't deteriorate? I've pulled off foil that crumples like crepe paper after a couple of hot and greasy cooks. I kind of like the idea - just wondering about the 3rd piece of foil lasting that long in the smoker.

I have tried the Costco heavy duty foil and folded it every which way known to man and the grease still gets under it. I wonder what magic is involved here?

I don't know of any magic. But I pull a sheet of foil off that is longer than the tray and wrap both ends and I fold over the side edges too. It never restricts airflow, because it's tight to the tray. The only way grease can get under the foil is if the sides aren't wrapped or you put a hole in the foil. As mentioned above, I don't want to run an all night buffet for the bugs and rats. This keeps it under control.

I don't know of any magic. But I pull a sheet of foil off that is longer than the tray and wrap both ends and I fold over the side edges too. It never restricts airflow, because it's tight to the tray. The only way grease can get under the foil is if the sides aren't wrapped or you put a hole in the foil. As mentioned above, I don't want to run an all night buffet for the bugs and rats. This keeps it under control.
You must be a sorcerer with powers of which I can only dream.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back