Drip Pan Question

CoachWDE

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I'm new to the RecTec family, have had a green egg for years. When I smoke my butts on BGE I like to put aluminum pan on top of plate setter filled with apple juice, apple cider vinegar, onion pieces and rub while I smoke the butt. Are you able to use a drip pan method like this on Rec Tec 700? Thanks in advance

Here's what I'll say, and others may say differently. Coming from a stick burner the RecTec has a learning curve.. You don't have to baby sit anything first of all. But from a cooking standpoint, It's been my experience that the pellets have a lighter smoke flavor (from what I was used to and like) so I use a Smoke tube (extra smoke with pellets and/or wood chips in it) So the RecTec smokes heaviest on low (180ish to 225ish) then less as you increase in temps (well appears to). These Smokers are also a BBQ, a Sear, and a Convection Oven...and you have to remember it's cooking in this style. So to answer your question Yes. And No.
Yes in that you can set a butt inside an aluminum pan to capture juices or soak in them, but it changes the char as well as possible cook times.
You can also fit a thin pan between the grates and the drip pan but it's about cookie sheet thickness so doesn't hold much water, and juices dry up quick when sitting on it. Others have just set a water pan on top of the grates and had success, Personally I found that it changed the cook time for me.(more moisture extended it) this is just some of my personal experiences, as I said others may disagree.
Also you can spray/spritz your cook if you want that apple juice on it. RecTec suggests quick lid open times (helps keep temp stable).
Last thing... "No" as in you may find you don't need it anymore. Without a water pan I've had just as juicy insides a with one on my old smokers. Even deceivingly juicy when compared to the outside which appears dryer than it is.
Goodluck hope I didn't confuse.. others will voice their opinion I'm sure.

To add to what Buckeye said, there are several "games" folks have tried seeking to accomplish what you asked or other things. There's a bit of personal taste and individual bias involved, so the suggestion to try it without first is very good advice. As for the cookie sheet suggestion, one member here almost always uses a large pan with a rim high rack on it. He says his primary objective is to keep the pit cleaner, but he also catches drippings to use when desired. And using the rack keeps the hunk o' protein elevated above the edge so that circulating air currents can reach all around nearly as if there were no pan, thus avoiding the "soggy bottom syndrome" you get from sitting in a 2 or 3" deep pan. Another method would be to get one of the accessory racks that RT sells, and place the drip/water pan underneath with the meat on the rack. Lots of ways to get to the desired result.

I can't be much help here. Maybe it is my taste or preference or just being lazy (probably more the latter), but I have never used a water pan or any other liquids in a pan when cooking on my 680. I do occasionally spritz ribs/butts/brisket, but a lot of time I don't even do that, and rarely wrap. I can't think of a past cook that really turned out bad. Always seems to have the smoke flavor I am looking for, and never an issue with the moisture. Everyone has their own way of doing things, learning from others and hearing other's thoughts and ideas is what makes this site so much fun.

To add to what Buckeye said, there are several "games" folks have tried seeking to accomplish what you asked or other things. There's a bit of personal taste and individual bias involved, so the suggestion to try it without first is very good advice. As for the cookie sheet suggestion, one member here almost always uses a large pan with a rim high rack on it. He says his primary objective is to keep the pit cleaner, but he also catches drippings to use when desired. And using the rack keeps the hunk o' protein elevated above the edge so that circulating air currents can reach all around nearly as if there were no pan, thus avoiding the "soggy bottom syndrome" you get from sitting in a 2 or 3" deep pan. Another method would be to get one of the accessory racks that RT sells, and place the drip/water pan underneath with the meat on the rack. Lots of ways to get to the desired result.
Thanks for info

I can't be much help here. Maybe it is my taste or preference or just being lazy (probably more the latter), but I have never used a water pan or any other liquids in a pan when cooking on my 680. I do occasionally spritz ribs/butts/brisket, but a lot of time I don't even do that, and rarely wrap. I can't think of a past cook that really turned out bad. Always seems to have the smoke flavor I am looking for, and never an issue with the moisture. Everyone has their own way of doing things, learning from others and hearing other's thoughts and ideas is what makes this site so much fun.
Thanks so much for input I really appreciate.

A half baking sheet from my wife's equipment fits nicely. You'd have to level it with something, since the Bull's drip pan is angled.

If you want a deeper pan with more fluid or just more clearance from the "water pan", another approach is to raise the grates. You should be able to raise them up to a couple inches before the grates start to converge on the radius of the drum. A couple pieces of retangular steel tubing of the appropriate dimensions, spanning the front and back of the grate ledges should work. Alternatively, if you have access to sheetmetal fabrication equipment, a simple V shaped piece across the front and back should support the grates in a higher position.

Attachments

• 20200229_061158_resized (1).jpg
    20200229_061158_resized (1).jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 132
I recently purchased a Bullseye deluxe. I already have a 1250 on a competition cart with smoke box for larger cooks but wanted an every day cooker and really wanted one that I could use my old weber 22" accessories (rotisserie, gourmet grate with wok) and be able to use my weber kettle lid.
For slower cooks I want to use a smokeware SS water pan to put on top the heat deflector. My question is should I get a 14" or 18" I don't want to choke off too much air but for some fatty cooks I want a good water sink and size coverage so I don't get dry edges. Anyone have any thoughts? Appreciate any feedback.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back