Costco
Walmart
Mail Order
I live in the mountains of north Georgia and have limited options
Our local grocery store and Walmart is so so
If I want a better selection I have to drive an hour back towards Atlanta
But with the price of gas that’s getting expensive
Ive been considering mail order but don’t really like to but sight unseen

I use Wild Fork (mail order), Costco, Smiths and sometimes Albertsons. We also have a couple of local butcher shops that I sometimes place orders with.

I've been pretty pleased with the quality of the cuts I have received from Wild Fork. I think your first order has free shipping, but if you pay $29 for a membership, shipping is free for that year. I've ordered Briskets, Beef Ribs, hamburger meat, chicken, sausage, etc. and have no issues with anything I have recieved.

Do note, that meat is sold per pound, and they will give you that price and the average weight of the cut for your initial estimated bill. It could be higher or lower based on how much the meat actually weighs.

For example, if you order a brisket, it may say average weight is 14lbs. If yours is 15.1lbs, you'll pay a bit more, but you are only paying for what you actually get.

I was doing Wild Fork mail just about a year but was getting frustrated at the size of the selections but I get that is not easy after being in a store.

For example, I would order 2 pork chops and I would get one .75 lb and one at like 1.25 lb.

Now there are 2 stores within a little over 1 hr from me I just plan to go there and pick myself while also shopping local. Costco was big for us but have noticed some issues the past year also so have not been getting as much there but will still pick some things up there.

Our local grocery story Shoprite is very hit or miss so only shop there for meats when I know what I'm getting and when there are sales.

If I were in your shoes I would defiantly give Wild Fork a go but just be aware of the size issues and order more based on that just in case.

And as mentioned above know when you place the order the hold on your card can be double of what you expect but it is adjusted when the selections are picked with actual weight. I did have one time they charged me more so do watch that. It was corrected so not a big deal just something to watch. Don't expect them to be flawless in that area.

I was doing Wild Fork mail just about a year but was getting frustrated at the size of the selections but I get that is not easy after being in a store.

For example, I would order 2 pork chops and I would get one .75 lb and one at like 1.25 lb.

Now there are 2 stores within a little over 1 hr from me I just plan to go there and pick myself while also shopping local. Costco was big for us but have noticed some issues the past year also so have not been getting as much there but will still pick some things up there.

Our local grocery story Shoprite is very hit or miss so only shop there for meats when I know what I'm getting and when there are sales.

If I were in your shoes I would defiantly give Wild Fork a go but just be aware of the size issues and order more based on that just in case.
Contrary to popular belief, size does matter!
And as mentioned above know when you place the order the hold on your card can be double of what you expect but it is adjusted when the selections are picked with actual weight. I did have one time they charged me more so do watch that. It was corrected so not a big deal just something to watch. Don't expect them to be flawless in that area.

I have a local butcher so I am lucky, they are awesome.
I also have used Costo some, but as mentioned above varying supply and quality.
I also use Wild Fork Foods and have been pleased. Wide variety and lower costs.
You can also look at Rastelli's, I have used them and they have been good.
I have used Porterroad, but mixed results.

Pork - mostly the local grocer as they are better then WM and Costco.
Ckn and Burger - Costco and grocer, depending on the cut wanted as there are no bone-in breasts at Costco.
Steaks - not so local gourmet grocer, by far the best prime around although one pays big $ for it. We only have steaks a few times a year so I get the best when we do.
Fish/Seafood - one particular local grocer that always seems to have fresh fish.

99% of my beef comes from my Dad who raises cows. Though I've been known to pick up a brisket or ribeye from time to time at Costco.

Chicken and Pork is also usually from Costco with the rare instance from Krogers groceries too.

I buy my pork from a grocery store. Costco for tri tip and prime brisket. Picked up two prime briskets on Friday for $3.99 lb! Can’t remember ever seeing them that cheap! Went in for a couple things but always check the meat department lol.

I buy my pork from a grocery store. Costco for tri tip and prime brisket. Picked up two prime briskets on Friday for $3.99 lb! Can’t remember ever seeing them that cheap! Went in for a couple things but always check the meat department lol.
As I mentioned earlier, I use Costco as well, but their meat has been frozen and thawed. So, I try to only use them if I'm going to bring it home and cook before I need to re-freeze.

I buy most at Gordon Food Service. Steaks and 7 bone primerib I use the local meat market.

As I mentioned earlier, I use Costco as well, but their meat has been frozen and thawed. So, I try to only use them if I'm going to bring it home and cook before I need to re-freeze.
Costco brisket packers and flats are not previously frozen, at least here in Connecticut.

I believe the Feds require a label on anything previously frozen. I haven’t seen that on anything but seafood at my Costco.

Same range.....

Web Order - Have tried a few. Pricey and just like Amazon a little risk. Not bad meat but have had a shipping challenge (e.g. family meal ordered for delivery on Friday with dinner Sat night - one day cushion - showed up Monday). Size issues as posted already (had one issue where we got 4 steaks and they were 22 oz for 3 and 12 oz for one... Also have had a couple challenges where after the order i get an email they didn't have what i ordered but wanted to change out.

Costco - yes... they have had challenges like every meat retailer that doesn't raise their own (where above works better - Snake River, Wild Fork, etc.). Nonetheless, Costco is solid. I NEVER have a situations where i can't get something there. I might plan on a Tomahawks for a party and get there and they are out, but they always have something i am just excited to do (e.g 2 inch thick filets i can bacon wrap).

For the best quality - custom cut, etc. We have Italian Markets here in Michigan. Papa Joes, Nino Salvaggios, etc. They all have really good butchers! Nino's is my stock up place. I will go there 3-4 times a year and drop $1k on meat... steaks, pork cuts, briskets, butts, etc.

Probably more important... I NEVER buy meat I plan to cook on my 700 and/or BGE from Kroger, Meijer, etc. Any meat purchased there is gasser meat. Occasionally cheap steaks, pork chops, etc. Chicken is ok. But i just find their choice meat to be super bland. Hard to cook actually (thin), etc.

One other note... Prime is Prime. I live in a place where i can get to farm raised quarters/halves, etc. and got overly excited with a price and description of pure "Angus" and other words. It wasnt rated. I kind of assumed it would be choice. Big mistake. It was freezer meat. Stew meat. Burger. The steaks were terrible. (you get what you pay for). I would say it was select or below and the marbling was actually not fat. It was so bad. Hard to cook something and then watch your kids chew on it for 10 seconds only to go to the trash can to spit out meat they couldn't swallow. I am NOT against the area farmers... quite the opposite... big fan. But, focus on what they are selling. Good learning experience for me.

I have a decent local butcher, but there are two problems. First, he knows he's the only game in town and is priced accordingly. Second, they have a shop where they cut everything in back so you're getting whatever they pull/cut for you without choosing (defeating the purpose of going to the butcher).

I bought some pork shanks and a few Wagyu ribeyes from Snake River Farms and will likely do it again, but I'm not quite ready to buy a $175 - $200 Wagyu brisket from them yet. Maybe some day...

I've tried Costco and haven't been disappointed, but I hate going to the zoo called Costco so much that I usually try and bribe someone that likes going to Costco to go do my bidding.

So far, the purchases from Wild Fork have been very good and I've started venturing into chicken, pork cuts, etc. from them. One of the 18 pound briskets I received had the flat trimmed down so that it was less than an inch thick at the end. All in all for quality and price per pound, they're cheaper than Costco and what I've tried have been superior in quality. I was in FL a few weeks ago and was shocked when I saw an actual Wild Fork store. I would've gone in if it wasn't 10pm and I didn't have a portable freezer to take home.

We order or pick up from Costco (two hour drive) and have a local butcher for special cuts. Being new to the area, we still have a lot to figure out for options. I'll be checking out Wild Fork now though!

We order or pick up from Costco (two hour drive) and have a local butcher for special cuts. Being new to the area, we still have a lot to figure out for options. I'll be checking out Wild Fork now though!

Is Costco 2 hours round trip or 1 way for you?

Is Costco 2 hours round trip or 1 way for you?
One way. I order from them sometimes and every now and then we make the trip to stock up. We just moved into a place, bought a new freezer, ordered a new fridge and are the lookout for another freezer, so we're still trying to figure out our routine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back