Bull Did they recently upgrade the RT-700?

GizmoD

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
On another forum a guy just set up his new rt-700 and he is getting much higher temps than I can get. I can get around 500 degrees but this guys new one is reaching almost 700 degrees in 30 min. Mine is about a year old. Did recteq change something?

SmartSelect_20220625-020244_Brave - Beta.jpg

Last edited:
On another forum a guy just set up his new rt-700 and he is getting much higher temps than I can get. I can get around 500 degrees but this guys new one is reaching almost 700 degrees in 30 min. Mine is about a year old. Did they change something?

View attachment 16466
It wouldn’t surprise me, especially if it had the new controller and cast iron heat deflector.

I have a 700 that is 1.5 years old and did this in less than 30 mins. This was using Traeger gourmet pellets from Costco.

If I waited longer it would have gone up in temp. Not sure how high. We were making pizza.

20220604_184522.jpg

I have a 700 that is 1.5 years old and did this in less than 30 mins. This was using Traeger gourmet pellets from Costco.

If I waited longer it would have gone up in temp. Not sure how high. We were making pizza.
You beat me! This 700 is 3 years old, and this is the hottest I’ve seen it get.
7432484A-B540-44CA-8D91-9912679E15B2.jpeg

I have a 2 year old RT700 and hit 625-660 all the time with the RecTeq competition blend. With the grill grates in place and the same pellets I’ve measured just over 710 on the grates with an infrared t-meter and the RT temp was showing 651 degrees F. I also tried other pellets and the lowest temps were with Traeger, only about 570 degrees F at 20 minutes.

I can appreciate the ongoing quest for the “new and improved” versions of everything but when it comes to my Bull, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I have enjoyed the stability of my rig and wouldn‘t want to take a chance on anything. I know that isn’t normal behavior but when it comes to active fire around my house, I’m good with the proven technology. Just my thoughts.

I can appreciate the ongoing quest for the “new and improved” versions of everything but when it comes to my Bull, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I have enjoyed the stability of my rig and wouldn‘t want to take a chance on anything. I know that isn’t normal behavior but when it comes to active fire around my house, I’m good with the proven technology. Just my thoughts.
It could be advantageous for someone who installed a 3 RPM auger motor, but I don’t think it would help much with the factory “2 RPM” (which is actually 1.6 RPM) motor.

It’s anyone’s guess how it would behave for those here with a true 2 RPM motor 🤷🏻‍♀️.

I am told the new 700 has the 3 rpm auger, and with the cast iron deflector, is made to reach 700 instead of 600? Also, the 1070 has the same setup ;and same top temp. I miss my 590, and find that the new Beale Street Memphis less than I expected. I might be interested in the 1070 if I go back to RT. Is it performing well?

I bought the updated controller for my RT-300, I recently picked up, and was able to hit 650 with that on "full". That was using Treager apple wood pellets that came with the smoker.

RecTeq seems to always be making little improvements they don't always tell us about. Months after I got my bull, they upgraded the lid to a different kind of paint.

I believe they might of updated the auger motor to a 3.0 following the lead of the 1250 which makes sense.

I actually called and was able to order the 3.0 auger motor for my Bull. I just haven't made time to put it in.

RecTeq seems to always be making little improvements they don't always tell us about. Months after I got my bull, they upgraded the lid to a different kind of paint.

I believe they might of updated the auger motor to a 3.0 following the lead of the 1250 which makes sense.

I actually called and was able to order the 3.0 auger motor for my Bull. I just haven't made time to put it in.
That’s good to know that the 3 RPM motor can be purchased again. For awhile, they stopped selling it.

Why would you need a 3 RPM motor?
I don’t personally, but others with the 1.6 (“2”) RPM motor had expressed in the past, when it was no longer available.

Why would you need a 3 RPM motor?
It will get higher temps but I wasn't really interested in that. But it will also raise temps a lot faster. If you were you smoking chicken at a low temp and wanted to bump up to like 375 or something, it would take way less time. It no doubt is not necessary but I figured why not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back