Cooking too fast???

Leis78cal

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
The last couple things I’ve smoked cooked WAY faster than I anticipated. My 8.5 lb pork shoulder at 225 I figured would take 12-14 hours ballpark. 6 hours later the internal temp is right at 200 degrees, where I planned to pull it. My temp remained at 225 the entire cook so not sure how it’s done already unless my temperature reading is false?? Only my second attempt at an over night low and slow but both resulted in me pulling the meat at about 7am and not 3pm....not good when guests are coming at 5pm for dinner, lol.
Any thoughts since my temp stayed consistent at 225?

Welcome to the group, sounds like your grill is running too hot, performing the offset calibration would be what I would recommend. It could also be the meat everything cooks differently but I have never had a pork shoulder that size cook that fast at 225 degrees. What are you checking the internal temperature with that could be off too? As far as the cook finished early a warm cooler is going to be your friend, wrap the shoulder in foil put it in a warm cooler with some old towels or other clothing and it will keep warm for hours.

Last edited:
Step 1: Was your pit temp verified with another digital thermometer?
Step 2: As MT 59 suggested, is your meat probe accurate?
After verifying both, proceed as described with either feed rate or offset calibration.

Thanks for the info.
Probes were verified with an instant read thermo, give or take a degree or two.
Another digital thermometer was set inside after your responses to check the smoker temp....tried a couple spots on the smoker at different heights and read anywhere between 275-300 while the smoker remained at a perfect 225.
So sounds like I need to do an offset calibration? Seems odd to have the smoker temp off that much? But certainly explains why the pork was done in like 6-8 hrs and not 12-14 if it was cooking at 275-300!
And yes, pork was done, most importantly delicious!! But hope to dial in those temps despite the food coma I’m in after eating all that.

The best suggestion is to pick a spot where you will do most cooking. For me thats right in the middleish as its usually just for the wife and I. Calibrate to that spot and call it a day, if you try to do most of the grill you will end up pulling your hair out. The other thing is you can let the rest of you grill get months of build up if you choose, but keep the rtd cleaner than not.

Thanks for the info.
Probes were verified with an instant read thermo, give or take a degree or two.
Another digital thermometer was set inside after your responses to check the smoker temp....tried a couple spots on the smoker at different heights and read anywhere between 275-300 while the smoker remained at a perfect 225.
So sounds like I need to do an offset calibration? Seems odd to have the smoker temp off that much? But certainly explains why the pork was done in like 6-8 hrs and not 12-14 if it was cooking at 275-300!
And yes, pork was done, most importantly delicious!! But hope to dial in those temps despite the food coma I’m in after eating all that.
My Bull was off about that much but the other way, cooks were taking way to long to finish. I performed the offset calibration and I found the cooking temperatures too low, did a quick offset calibration and now the Bull's cooking times have improved to the expected cook and recipe cooking times.

I should have gotten that ThermoWorks Signal when it was on sale!!
The Thermoworks Signal will be back on sale eventually and I was almost going to purchase one at the 20% off sale last week, don't really need it but then but I found the Fireboard2, it has way more features, is made in USA and is about the same price as the not on sale as the Thermoworks Signals at this time, some people have reported issues with the Fireboard 2 Wi-Fi but it's the same people that have reported Wi-Fi issues with other things too, sounds like user error to me. Check it out and let me know what you think. https://www.fireboard.com/

The Thermoworks Signal will be back on sale eventually and I was almost going to purchase one at the 20% off sale last week, don't really need it but then but I found the Fireboard2, it has way more features, is made in USA and is about the same price as the not on sale as the Thermoworks Signals at this time, some people have reported issues with the Fireboard 2 Wi-Fi but it's the same people that have reported Wi-Fi issues with other things too, sounds like user error to me. Check it out and let me know what you think. https://www.fireboard.com/
Thanks @Mastertech59. I hope things go good so don't have to worry about getting additional things. Will take a closer look at both of them. I may have to get a router mess satellite if I have signal strength issues.

I never cook too fast. I think that if you cook in a regular rhythm, the food will be perfect. If you hurry up, you can make some big mistakes so the taste will be different. I am very attentive in cooking, so that's why I am using the electronic kitchen scale from https://www.vont.com/product/digital-kitchen-scale/. This one helps very much in the kitchen. With it, I know the proportions of ingredients I need to use, making my food much tastier. I think in this way must work a trustworthy chief in kitchen. I bought it from https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Beautiful-Measurement-Stainless-Batteries/dp/B08SW6F5SZ. The seller now got a lot of exciting offers.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back