Stampede Correct cooking time

MMarye2313

I am in charge of doing Thanksgiving this year, this is the first time My family and My husband's family will be in one house doing thanksgiving so there will be about 35 of us.. I have always used a Masterbuilt smoker to smoke previous Turkey and Ham, they have always turned out wonderful but this year I have a RT590. I have two 18 lb turkeys, and about 25 lbs of Ham I will have to smoke. I have read and looked into multiple videos but slightly confused on the correct cook time. I seen were it's recommended 20 to 30 minutes per lb meaning around 9 hours to fully cook the turkeys. I have also seen where it can take as little as 4 hours. I plan on using the 225° setting for the first two to three hours then crank it up to about 300°. I am just trying to find suggestions on which is the best method and recommendation to smoke this food. And if anyone has any tricks, tips and/or recipes please share. Thank you.

I do 275F the entire time, but now do 9/10lb breasts over entire turkey. Takes typically between 3.5 to 4 hours for the breasts, and I have done plenty over the years. I am sure you will get some good advice for whole turkeys, but don't see you getting 2 turkeys that size and that ham all in the 590 at once.

Do yourself a favor and spatchcock those birds. Only way i see you possibly being able to get all of that done somewhat together. You can maybe get the hams done while the birds are resting/carved. It’ll be tight. Thats a tough ask to get all of that done with the size of the 590.

Maybe do the Hams in your Masterbuilt. That may be the most viable option.

Do yourself a favor and spatchcock those birds. Only way i see you possibly being able to get all of that done somewhat together. You can maybe get the hams done while the birds are resting/carved. It’ll be tight. Thats a tough ask to get all of that done with the size of the 590.

Maybe do the Hams in your Masterbuilt. That may be the most viable option.

@BigDan
Do you cook those in a foil pan or on the rack?

@BigDan
Do you cook those in a foil pan or on the rack?
Depends on the size of the bird.

Luxshiny BBQ Grill Mesh Mat: 10Pcs Disposable Aluminum Grill Topper Broiler Net Pans Non-Stick Cooking Grid Grates Pad Baking Tools for Outdoor Camping Barbeque Picnics Backpacking Backyards https://a.co/d/bboCPXC

I’ve used these alot if a larger bird. Easier to manipulate when pulling off the smoker.

Ive also used the old sheet pan/cooling rack as well. Can’t go wrong either way but I’ve had better tasting/smoke flavor with the disposables as I feel like it gets more smoke.

You can also go right to the rack. Its all good to me, just depends on what tools/accessories you have to make it easier to pull off the smoker.

I have WAY too much shiz… lol.

Welcome to the forum....
IDK, ~60 lbs of meat seems like more than the 590 can handle, will probably need to cook it in stages unless you have another cooking device. Do you have an upper shelf?

Unless you spatchcock the turkeys, I'd be concerned with them being in the danger zone with the grill @225 for 3 hours :sick:

Welcome to the forum....
IDK, ~60 lbs of meat seems like more than the 590 can handle, will probably need to cook it in stages unless you have another cooking device. Do you have an upper shelf?

Unless you spatchcock the turkeys, I'd be concerned with them being in the danger zone with the grill @225 for 3 hours :sick:
I’ve held off replying as I don’t have a 590… however I do have a Wyldside that shares the same size grates with the 590 and there is little chance I could fit two 18+ pound turkeys and 25# of ham on it at the same time.

Thank you everyone, I believe I'm going to start by seeing if I can fit all of it on the 590, if not I will do some in the MB.

Depends on the size of the bird.

Luxshiny BBQ Grill Mesh Mat: 10Pcs Disposable Aluminum Grill Topper Broiler Net Pans Non-Stick Cooking Grid Grates Pad Baking Tools for Outdoor Camping Barbeque Picnics Backpacking Backyards https://a.co/d/bboCPXC

I’ve used these alot if a larger bird. Easier to manipulate when pulling off the smoker.

Ive also used the old sheet pan/cooling rack as well. Can’t go wrong either way but I’ve had better tasting/smoke flavor with the disposables as I feel like it gets more smoke.

You can also go right to the rack. Its all good to me, just depends on what tools/accessories you have to make it easier to pull off the smoker.

I have WAY too much shiz… lol.
@BigDan - I just ordered some of the grates you mentioned. It seems the use of these will make everything easier to remove from the grill. A ten pack trial it is.
Thanks

Thank you everyone, I believe I'm going to start by seeing if I can fit all of it on the 590, if not I will do some in the MB.
Here are my suggestions.
- Spatchcock 1 Turkey and smoke/cook in Recteq (
) this will give you good instructions time, and temps.
- Smoke your Hams in your Masterbuilt.
- Cook the other turkey in your oven (traditional style).

I have a 590 and can't imagine piling all that into it. Let us know what you wind up doing and how it all comes out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back