"Cold Smoking" Cheddar Cheese

I'd like to try this. So you have two smoke tubes, and everything in main body of a Bull. Only thing switched on with regard to the Bull is the fan, correct? How long and do you have an outdoor ambient temp at which you prefer to do it?
Yes, two tubes...but one is fine.

I did these for about three hours using the RT Ulimate Blend early in the morning so outside temp was around 50. If the chamber is getting above 85, I'd recommend a pan of ice under the cheese.

I brought them in, let them cool in the fridge for a day wrapped loosely in parchment, and then I vacuumed sealed. I wait at least 8 weeks before eating it.

It's been warm and muggy here lately, but the next cool weekend morning, I'm going to do some with a mix of apple and pecan.

been wanting to try this.... dumb question: how long is the cheese good for after smoking?
Once vacuumed sealed it'll easily last a year. You'll want to let it rest at least a month or two before eating to let the smoke penetrate and mellow out.

If you don't have a sealer, wrap it tightly in parchment and then tightly with saran wrap.

This most recent batch, we were eating only a few hours after smoking and chilling. It was the best I had made.

Aging it after smoking helps even out and mello the flavor a bit. For cheese that is smoked lightly or even moderately, it really is noticeable to let it age. I didn't detect much difference aging beyond a couple weeks in my cheddars. smoked for 6 hours.

This particular batch, smoked for 9 hours had so much smoke penetration that it was smokey deep in the core of the block, even when eaten within hours. No doubt it will get better with some aging, but it is outstanding now.

I was really concerned I had gone off the deep end (again) with smoking too long. But when our group of retirees tasted it between wineries, they were all raving about it. So, when I offered to give them each a block, they were excited.

Last edited:
Did my first cold smoked cheese on the 590. Gouda & cheddar from Costco, then a chuck of leftover co-Jack from Kroger. Smoke tube filled with a mix of pellets and chips made copious amounts of smoke. Smoke tube under the drip tray. Outside temp in Dayton this AM was in the upper 20’s. Using my new Thermoworks Smoke X2 to monitor the pit temp, which gradually rose to, and held, at 46 degrees. After 3 hours i turned on the fan (in test mode) just to see what it would do to the pit temp. Temp dropped to 40 degrees. Pulled cheese at 4 hours. Vacuum packed the cheese and will hold in the fridge for 3 weeks. Can’t wait to try it.

I just smoked 3 large Tillamook Cheddar blocks, cut into 5 pieces each. I did about 8 hours. I got busy and couldn't vac seal them so my wife did them today while I was buzy 4 wheelin and huntin.

I thiink we've already eaten a couple pieces at our happy hour. While it will mellow with time, it's still great right off the smoker, after chilling.

I added the Magnum Pig from Smoke Daddy to my BFG for cold smoking

Attachments

• 7C9ED9AE-1B6E-40B9-84A9-B9492A5A7BE7.jpeg
    7C9ED9AE-1B6E-40B9-84A9-B9492A5A7BE7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 85
  • 650E559A-C92A-4F9B-A4A0-AD7EEBBCB663.jpeg
    650E559A-C92A-4F9B-A4A0-AD7EEBBCB663.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
Can someone recommend a good vacuum sealing machine that is reasonably priced
I’ve found that “reasonably priced” varies from person to person 😀. What price range are you thinking?

I alway COLD smoke cheese after dark when it’s 65° or less outside. I have found if the box temperature gets over 80° the quality of the cheese isn’t as good.

Did my first cold smoked cheese on the 590. Gouda & cheddar from Costco, then a chuck of leftover co-Jack from Kroger. Smoke tube filled with a mix of pellets and chips made copious amounts of smoke. Smoke tube under the drip tray. Outside temp in Dayton this AM was in the upper 20’s. Using my new Thermoworks Smoke X2 to monitor the pit temp, which gradually rose to, and held, at 46 degrees. After 3 hours i turned on the fan (in test mode) just to see what it would do to the pit temp. Temp dropped to 40 degrees. Pulled cheese at 4 hours. Vacuum packed the cheese and will hold in the fridge for 3 weeks. Can’t wait to try it.
Hello From Dayton! I’m just about ready to venture into my first cold smoked cheese experiment and I’d appreciate any observations, tips, etc., you’d be willing to share.

I’m going with a sharp cheddar and a softer cheese (havarti), first time around. My wife loves havarti but I’m concerned about using a soft cheese.

Thoughts?

Hello From Dayton! I’m just about ready to venture into my first cold smoked cheese experiment and I’d appreciate any observations, tips, etc., you’d be willing to share.

I’m going with a sharp cheddar and a softer cheese (havarti), first time around. My wife loves havarti but I’m concerned about using a soft cheese.

Thoughts?
I smoke an aged Havarti and an aged white cheddar that our Costco sells occasionally. Both of those cheeses take smoke great. I find the softer cheeses absorb smoke better. YMMV.
IMG_6445.jpeg

Couple thoughts from my experience:
• If you're going to the trouble of smoking & vacuum sealing cheese, might as well go big. See my pics. Depending on where you live, you may only have a couple months that are cold enough to not melt the cheese. I do mine between Dec-Mar here in VA.
• Soft cheeses don't last as long as harder ones. If you don't plan to eat Havarti or mozzarella within about a month, I'd suggest freezing those after vacuum sealing. Doesn't seem to harm quality in my experience.
• Use nitrile gloves and salt to avoid contamination. Add a very light sprinkle of salt on all sides of each piece before vacuum sealing.
• Smoking times vary, depending on personal preference and the type of cheese. Soft cheeses don't usually need as long. Maybe 2 hrs, versus 3-5 for other cheeses.
• The most difficult step: Give the smoked & sealed cheese at least 1-2 weeks to "mellow" before eating. Otherwise it may taste acrid or bitter. It's worth the wait!

I often get big cheese blocks from Costco (aged cheddar, gouda, mozzarella, etc.) and cut them into smaller blocks. I use a smoke tube in my RT-590 with the grill off, placing cheese blocks on baking racks to maximize surface area exposure, and slightly propping the door open for air flow to keep the tube smoldering. Usually end up with 35-40 that last thru the year, and store them in my old college fridge, now the "cheese fridge". They make great gifts or to bring for parties, too. Experiment & enjoy!

IMG_6524.jpeg

IMG_4867.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I (hopefully) put it to good use. I have another eight days to wait before we taste test the first experiment. In the meantime , I have another question.

I smoked a block of cheddar and a block of havarti for three hours and by appearances, the smoke tube put off plenty of smoke. But, the cheese didn’t seem to noticeably change color very much. Is that unusual?

I smoked a block of cheddar and a block of havarti for three hours and by appearances, the smoke tube put off plenty of smoke. But, the cheese didn’t seem to noticeably change color very much. Is that unusual?

Probably depends on several factors, such as the cheese, type of pellets used, air temp, etc. If you had "clean" vs "dirty" smoke can also make a difference in the taste, if not appearance.
I've had cheeses not change color much but still taste great, while others were simply milder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back