Bull Cleaning Drip Tray

I look at lining the drip tray the same as when we use to put plastic seat covers on the car seats and furniture in the house. The cars went to the junk yard with new looking seats and the furniture was given away or trashed looking like but the rest was shot.

It is also a waste of resources to put the foil in the land fill.

I use heavy duty foil and then tape the seam between the two pieces ( cuz one is not wide enough) with foil tape. Does the trick for me.. no leaking no problems!

I started out using foil but, it was a MPIA so for now on I'l just scrape the drip pan.
For some reason the getting the drip pan in & out is also a MPIA
Dan

Buy wide foil. You'll cover with 1 sheet.
Wide is what I am going to use but might be a good idea to tape down the the flap or tuck it under when it is folded to fit. I think maybe the fold over flap could jump around and pop up when the hot grease hits it. I know I am anal just want to prevent any grease fires.

Wide is what I am going to use but might be a good idea to tape down the the flap or tuck it under when it is folded to fit. I think maybe the fold over flap could jump around and pop up when the hot grease hits it. I know I am anal just want to prevent any grease fires.
After using foil for sometime we will get you naked and be a scraper.?

I really don't understand why anyone would NOT use foil on the drip pan. After a good many smokes on my 590, drip pan looks brand new. Takes about 3-4 minutes to replace the foil after each use. Read what others do (scrape, pressure wash, soak in water, oven cleaner, etc) and it's just a no brainer for me. Maybe I'm missing something.....

I really don't understand why anyone would NOT use foil on the drip pan. After a good many smokes on my 590, drip pan looks brand new. Takes about 3-4 minutes to replace the foil after each use. Read what others do (scrape, pressure wash, soak in water, oven cleaner, etc) and it's just a no brainer for me. Maybe I'm missing something.....
It's a no brainier to me too @Cowboy57. I have used foil since the 60tys under charcoal for easy cleanup. I changed it each time. My latest SS charcoal grill I use two big foil oven liners in the charcoal try. I am going to change my RT-590 drip pan foil after each use too. Should help prevent a grease fire.

I really don't understand why anyone would NOT use foil on the drip pan. Read what others do (scrape, pressure wash, soak in water, oven cleaner, etc) and it's just a no brainer for me. Maybe I'm missing something.....

I tried it initially, did for several cooks. As others mention its a pita for me to do. That and the fact when i pulled the foil after the last time had plenty of stuff underneath. Now i take my trusty orange cleaner, spray the grates and clean them, the overspray gets on the tray and soaks it. Pull the grates, another quick mist of cleaner and wipe the tray. Now could i scrape if i chose too, sure. But there is nothing left after for me to be concerned with to the point i have needed to scrap yet. Thats not to say there are not one or two little hardened blackend pieces but nothing that effects the cook or doesnt come off with future cleanings. Does my tray look well used? Of course it does, just like the rest of the grill.

I used foil for the first smoke, the tray still had to be scrubbed and the foil stuck to the tray in places. Ever since I just scrape it, wipe it down, wipe out the "grease valley" on the right side and push some paper towels through the grease tube. Takes no time. When I deep clean it I use oven cleaner and a scrubbing pad or BKF.

I used foil for the first smoke, the tray still had to be scrubbed and the foil stuck to the tray in places. Ever since I just scrape it, wipe it down, wipe out the "grease valley" on the right side and push some paper towels through the grease tube. Takes no time. When I deep clean it I use oven cleaner and a scrubbing pad or BKF.
How does that work out for you just wiping things down especially the grease valley? Do you use some kind of de-greaser too? I saw in a video this guy used some kind of citrus cleaner.

How does that work out for you just wiping things down especially the grease valley? Do you use some kind of de-greaser too? I saw in a video this guy used some kind of citrus cleaner.
Personally I don't use any cleaners inside the grill except maybe vinegar to clean the RTD probe. If I remove the drip pan for scraping I rest it on top of the recycle bin and scrap the crap into the trash bin. Most times I scrape the drip pan still in the grill and use another wide scraper to pick up the crap or just scrape into the grease trough and then push it into the drip bucket. This is real easy for me because I generally only use one cooking grate for our 2 people cooks so I can just slid it cooking grate side to side for cleaning the drip pan, no sense in getting 2 cooking grates dirty when the cook fits on one.

I use Traeger BAC410 Pellet Grills Pro 34 Tray Liner. Fits fine. Does not melt. Easy to throw away and put in another. Scraping looks like work and I am allergic to it.

I like to scrape mine clean with citrus cleaner. It might be a pain to take the grill down to the fire pot, vacuum and do general cleaning, but I find it relaxing and makes it more engaging..

I have only heard of issues with the foil, but I think it's one of those personal choices... I personally just like to clean my grills

I've foiled my 680 since its first cook 7 years ago. I think Rec-Tec recommended it back then, but maybe not. The cleanup is pretty simple. The most difficult part with foil is putting it on the tray while outside in the wind, not clean-up (N TX is windy and I am a foil-must-be-tight-fitting crazy person). Even using heavy-duty aluminum foil some grease gets through to the tray, so you still have to clean that up after throwing away the foil. Foiling is just something I've always done and never thought about.

Then I came across y'all.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been running unfoiled and scraping. Have to say, I can't see myself ever going back to foil. Scraping is no effort and I'm not wasting foil. I never saw a problem with grease pooling on my super-tight foil wraps, but I spend less time scraping than I did wrapping foil. My grill has never been above 325, so maybe that makes the scraping easier. I appreciate all you scraping advocates for enlightening me!

I've foiled my 680 since its first cook 7 years ago. I think Rec-Tec recommended it back then, but maybe not. The cleanup is pretty simple. The most difficult part with foil is putting it on the tray while outside in the wind, not clean-up (N TX is windy and I am a foil-must-be-tight-fitting crazy person). Even using heavy-duty aluminum foil some grease gets through to the tray, so you still have to clean that up after throwing away the foil. Foiling is just something I've always done and never thought about.

Then I came across y'all.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been running unfoiled and scraping. Have to say, I can't see myself ever going back to foil. Scraping is no effort and I'm not wasting foil. I never saw a problem with grease pooling on my super-tight foil wraps, but I spend less time scraping than I did wrapping foil. My grill has never been above 325, so maybe that makes the scraping easier. I appreciate all you scraping advocates for enlightening me!

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Foil tape. Where did you get that?
Foil tape can be found at any home improvement store. The adhesive does not get cooked into your food at all. Firstly the tape is no where on the actual grates. Secondly, the stuff i bought was 3m high temp tape so it performs up to 600 degrees. The first time i grilled i did not use it and I got stuff on my drip pan that I cant get off!! Now this makes it ALOT easier to clean. As I said in other posts Im annual about my cleaning. Lol 🤣

I use simple green bbq cleaner... this stuffs amazing!!!!!!! The only thing I dont put this on is the probe and the powder coated lid. I get throw away shop towels and it does the trick inside the bull just fine! Nice and shiny! Even in grease valley!

Attachments

• 29342513-093D-4F0C-BFB1-476C65002C6F.png
    29342513-093D-4F0C-BFB1-476C65002C6F.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 85

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back