Cleaning deep stains

Winkler

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Anyone know how I can get rid of these stains? I’ve tried Barkeeps Friend mixed as a paste, oven cleaner, Dawn dish soap and water, along with a brush that fits on an electric drill. Nothing seems to be able to lift it, even a little.

I originally thought they were oil/food/smoke stains, but once I got some other lighter potions that were from that off, these remained. By the looks of it, I’m thinking I may have ruined the coating of the stainless steel by using something too harsh or too abrasive.

IMG_2298.jpeg

IMG_2299.jpeg

IMG_2300.jpeg

it does look like a coating was removed, but putting a coating on stainless is not a common practice. I doubt the bare stainless have a coating. What happened to the edge of the lid? There is something going on there as well-perhaps the same thing caused both.

it does look like a coating was removed, but putting a coating on stainless is not a common practice. I doubt the bare stainless have a coating. What happened to the edge of the lid? There is something going on there as well-perhaps the same thing caused both.
The white stuff is residual oven cleaner that I forgot to remove before I took the pic. Wipes right off.

If it really seems like residue/raised off the surface, try some Cameo; I've also used Bon Ami in a few spots in the past; try to go with the grain of the stainless

It doesn’t feel to my finger like it’s raised up at all, it feels just as smooth as the rest of the stainless steel. I’ll give the Cameo a shot

I have used a drill attachments with orange bristles, it’s cone shaped, from the hardware store.
Gave it a brushed type finish you could polish if you like.
I was happy with it, clean stainless again.

I have used a drill attachments with orange bristles, it’s cone shaped, from the hardware store.
Gave it a brushed type finish you could polish if you like.
I was happy with it, clean stainless again.
What hardware store, please? Link?

That is quite interesting. Would you be able to post a photo of your grill. I'm intrigued to see how it looks.
Yes please do. Feel free to add your liquid cleaner or degreaser of choice.

Cameo came in a few days early. Amazing results! It’s not perfect and needed a good amount of elbow grease which I expected, but it’s much better than before.

For future reference, it was the Aluminum and Stainless steel Cameo.

View attachment 19385

View attachment 19386
I’d say that is an amazing improvement over what you showed us at the start of this thread. Thanks for the follow-up post. I need to get some of that stuff.

Anyone know how I can get rid of these stains? I’ve tried Barkeeps Friend mixed as a paste, oven cleaner, Dawn dish soap and water, along with a brush that fits on an electric drill. Nothing seems to be able to lift it, even a little.

I originally thought they were oil/food/smoke stains, but once I got some other lighter potions that were from that off, these remained. By the looks of it, I’m thinking I may have ruined the coating of the stainless steel by using something too harsh or too abrasive.

View attachment 19362

View attachment 19363

View attachment 19364
Got to love that cameo. I’ve use that with a little elbow grease and anything comes off of stainless steel. Works great.

Great result, glad it worked.
Cameo came in a few days early. Amazing results! It’s not perfect and needed a good amount of elbow grease which I expected, but it’s much better than before.

View attachment 19385

View attachment 19386

View attachment 19385

View attachment 19386
What did you use to apply the Cameo?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back