Grinder cleaning

SmokeOCD

Those of you with grinders (all of you should have one), how do you clean out the drive gear?
I made 50lbs cevaps, so double coarse grind and a final run through to form the skinless sausages, it’s pushed 150 lbs of meat through (50x3). As always there’s squick back into the connecting drive gear.
Paper towels, chlorox wipes, toothpicks and vodka soaked q-tips. Takes a good while and it’s very clean, wondering if anyone has a more efficient solution. Not cleaning it is not the answer I’m looking for.
The pic is about 2/3 of the batch.
1693847473573.png

Let me start by saying WOW. That is every meat eaters dream platter!!! I don’t have that model but for mine I break it down as far as possible removing all gears and drive components then flush the body thoroughly with a strong NSF rated cleaner. I then run a high pressure water flush and rinse and repeat. I stayed away from the models that don’t allow full access to their innards to minimize any chances of contamination but I don’t think any of they will ever be 100% bacteria free after use. YMMV

Those of you with grinders (all of you should have one), how do you clean out the drive gear?
I made 50lbs cevaps, so double coarse grind and a final run through to form the skinless sausages, it’s pushed 150 lbs of meat through (50x3). As always there’s squick back into the connecting drive gear.
Paper towels, chlorox wipes, toothpicks and vodka soaked q-tips. Takes a good while and it’s very clean, wondering if anyone has a more efficient solution. Not cleaning it is not the answer I’m looking for.
The pic is about 2/3 of the batch.
View attachment 20027
Wow! Now, that’s a bunch of sausages! Somebody is eating well.

Wow! Now, that’s a bunch of sausages! Somebody is eating well.
It’s $19 a package (1.6lbs) in the store - as low as $3/lb depending on what sales I catch when I make my own. This batch is more expensive since there’s brisket mixed in. Still at a 50/50 mix (beef/pork)I know I’m under $4/lb.
Same amount of cleanup whether I make 5lbs or 50 so I go big. Similar mindset to filling up the smoker or grill since you’re burning fuel anyway.
College kids eat a lot, can’t afford buying that many from the store.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back