Stampede Changing pellets

John M

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I want to change the pellets in my Stampede. How do I remove the safety grate in the hopper so I can get my shop vac hose in there?

Two weeks into my Stampede and I'm loving it. But 2 things bother me:
1-I have to use a vacuum to switch pellets.
2-I have to manually prime it.

I went with Rec Tec because of the SS construction and reputation, but c'mon.....

I did not use a vacuum, just scoop out by hand. I really dont care about the bottom handful since it gets burned up in warm up.

I have never had to hand prime even after vacuum out the fire pot.

Yeah I’does seem like they could design some type of hatch below to easily remove one type of pellet for another.

It it just me that doesn't go through the trouble of removing pellets to change the type. If I ever want to change the pellet type, I just let the existing pellets run low, then add some different type on top of them. Unless you're going with some unique flavor pellets, most people won't be able to tell the difference 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I can’t really can’t tell too much difference between pellet brands on taste. I have 3 brands locally available that I can find on sale for under $0.5 a pound. So when one runs out I dump the new bag in. So to me a quick change hopper is not important.

My taste must not be a good as others, Ive tried different pellets and I don't taste much of a difference or any at all

My taste must not be a good as others, Ive tried different pellets and I don't taste much of a difference or any at all
You're not alone, neither can I 🤷‍♂️

So if I want a heavier smoke flavor I use my old offset to smoke it up and finish cooking on my 590. My son bought me some wood chunks for it so I can vary the flavor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back