Stampede Life Changing Move

Pops

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
My bride and I of 36 years are finally moving to a 55+ community. Very excited, HOWEVER today we discovered they don't allow charcoal or pellet grills, propane and natural gas OK. Wife loves the community and house so......
Fortunately my Blackstone is OK, and I have been doing Sous Vide with my new flame thrower, see pics here, I cut the tenderloin into two pieces and did a dry run Saturday. This is what we wound up with Sunday for Easter.

So, does anyone have any ideas on a gas replacement!

Tenderloin.jpg

My older Weber Q 3000 series has been my go to other than the Blackstone for gas. I got it on Facebook Marketplace for free as someone didn't know how to clean the orfices out. There is almost 0 things to rust on it and it gets real hot. It was propane I converted to NG. Might be on the small side for some but mostly perfect for the wife and I. I would not spend a lot on a gas grill as they usually don't last from my experience. Congrats & good luck in your move & choice!

@Pops , you're clearly a much better husband and partner than I am. My bride of similar vintage started making noise about similar ideas, but after a little research on some of the places she had in mind, I channeled my inner child, had a full blown hissy fit, and professed that I'd never cook again if I can't cook with fire and smoke. Between no outdoor cooking options and no place for a lifetime collection of tools and other stuff I purchased for various projects that I'll probably never use again, I exercised my hard veto. It made me feel young again!

Thanks @Jim6820 I was hoping you would chime in!
Best of luck with whatever you decide, @Pops. I am going through something similar to what @Pacman described; moving away from my 30X42 shop building with lots of tools I can’t take to the new house. And, the new house does not have natural gas, so I had to abandon my favorite Napoleon 450RB natural gas grill and purchase a propane version.

Life has its challenges and we need to adapt as we gain more “seniority.” I’m sure you will be able to sort things out and come up with a way to keep doing your outdoor cooking. I think you could probably get away with a smoke tube in a gas grill to get a bit of that familiar flavor. If anyone asks about the smoke, just tell them it is caused by the drippings from the meat. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the new adventure.

@Pops , you're clearly a much better husband and partner than I am. My bride of similar vintage started making noise about similar ideas, but after a little research on some of the places she had in mind, I channeled my inner child, had a full blown hissy fit, and professed that I'd never cook again if I can't cook with fire and smoke. Between no outdoor cooking options and no place for a lifetime collection of tools and other stuff I purchased for various projects that I'll probably never use again, I exercised my hard veto. It made me feel young again!

@Pacman, I was thinking the exact same thing. I can always find a new wife, but it's taken me years to collect a shed-full of quality tools, grills, smokers, accessories... er, um, I mean... Damn, where's that senior living community brochure again?

@Pacman, I was thinking the exact same thing. I can always find a new wife, but it's taken me years to collect a shed-full of quality tools, grills, smokers, accessories... er, um, I mean... Damn, where's that senior living community brochure again?
As that famous cartoon character, Elmer Fudd, used to say; “be vehwee, vehwee careful!“ :ROFLMAO:

Thanks all, we have already purchased a home in a Sun City community, starting the build now!
I was in a little different position, We sold our house with 20 acres, barn etc 2 years ago, moved into another small house we had until we decided what to do, had to part with alot of things, including a tractor, just not the grills!

The new house does have natural gas, so that is a plus.

Exploring my options now!

Last edited:
Interesting, so I could replace my Blackstone as well..... I was keeping my Blackstone, but the idea of one grill is well interesting.

I just want to make sure it is a great grill! IMHO it is difficult to find one grill that will do both well.

@Jim6820 chime in?
@Pops, I don’t have any experience with the GrillaGrill, so can’t be much help. It may be a great grill or not. Hopefully, folks with hands-on experience will chime in and provide some input.

All I know from doing a quick bit of research is that it is made in China and, as you probably know, I try to avoid buying Chinese-made products when I can. That’s just my personal choice and I don’t criticize those who do. I made an exception with the RecTeq but probably wouldn’t do so again. YMMV

Sorry I can’t be more help.

@Pops, I don’t have any experience with the GrillaGrill, so can’t be much help. It may be a great grill or not. Hopefully, folks with hands-on experience will chime in and provide some input.

All I know from doing a quick bit of research is that it is made in China and, as you probably know, I try to avoid buying Chinese-made products when I can. That’s just my personal choice and I don’t criticize those who do. I made an exception with the RecTeq but probably wouldn’t do so again. YMMV

Sorry I can’t be more help.

That would be wonderful to not be buying or supporting anything out of China, as I am typing away on a laptop made in China. Rectec and Grilla are still American companies, even though they have sold out to China, just like most everyone else. I read many reviews about the Grilla grill line up, and they match up pretty evenly with RT, plus RT doesn't have a propane or NG hybrid grill. :)

Last edited:
That would be wonderful to not be buying or supporting anything out of China, as I am typing away on a laptop made in China. Rectec and Grilla are still American companies, even though they have sold out to China, just like most everyone else. I read many reviews about the Grilla grill line up, and they match up pretty evenly with RT, plus RT doesn't have a propane or NG hybrid grill. :)
Which is why I said “I try to avoid buying Chinese-made products” and “I don’t criticize those who do.” To each their own. Since I was specifically asked to comment, I did so as honestly as I was able.

I try to practice tolerance of diverse viewpoints while remaining as true to my own principles as possible.

I've had a Vermont Castings grill for over 15 years now, but I'm not sure I'd recommend their line up today. That being said, before I bought my Bull, I used smoke tubes and smoke boxes in my grill. I don't know if your new place is objecting to smoke in general, or just don't want 'wood based flame'. My guess is they don't want smoke as some of the inhabitants might have breathing issues. Me being a general a$$hole, I'd use smoke tubes until told differently.

Which is why I said “I try to avoid buying Chinese-made products” and “I don’t criticize those who do.” To each their own. Since I was specifically asked to comment, I did so as honestly as I was able.

I try to practice tolerance of diverse viewpoints while remaining as true to my own principles as possible.

Anything divisive is always worth talking about, but yes agree that delivery is everything and how one disagrees with another. Too many are afraid to speak out on controversial topics/subjects, however I am not one of those people. :) Stay true to who you are and what you believe or stand for, that is what everyone needs to learn again.

Easy boys, we are all on the same grilling team!
I think we all agree with @Jim6820. I too try to buy American where I can and practical. However we live in such a global economy now, it is hard to do that.

I am leaning toward the Napoleon based on reviews, while the Grilla grill is tempting due to the dual role as grill and griddle, my experience is that when you have a product with multiple roles, in general you sacrifice something.

I am leaning toward going with a good grill and keep my Blackstone!

Will keep you posted and appreciate the passion!

Still torn on this, I have looked at the Napoleon, l like the rotisserie and the sear station.

I also like the Grilla Grill Primate, it is reasonably priced, (for a grill junkie) and I like the versatility, i.e. the grill and griddle option.

@Jim6820 have you used the rotisserie? Also have you used a griddle on it or do you use a griddle at all?

I am wondering if you can add a sear station to the Grilla Grill.

Also has anyone use BBQGUYS?

Open to any ideas. I think the new house has room on the back deck for two grills, where as I have 3 now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back