Can I cut this in half?

Mike

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
First time doing a pork butt on my Rectec Bull and the smallest Costco had was a 14 pounder. With a family of four, including two small kids that's a lot of meat for just the wife and I to eat.

Can I cut this bad boy in half and cook one half and freeze the other or am I best to cook the whole thing?

pork-shoulder-butt.jpg

You should be fine cutting it, but if you have a vacuum sealer, you could cook the whole thing and freeze the extra and bring it out for quick meal, that is what we do.
Pulled pork that has been sealed reheats very well and we usually have some for tacos or bbq or whatever else we want to use it for.

First time doing a pork butt on my Rectec Bull and the smallest Costco had was a 14 pounder. With a family of four, including two small kids that's a lot of meat for just the wife and I to eat.

Can I cut this bad boy in half and cook one half and freeze the other or am I best to cook the whole thing?

View attachment 5925
I smoked about the same amount a month ago from Costco. There were 2 in the package. I smoked them both on my vertical smoker. There are only 3 of us in my family, so we had a nice dinner, put a small amount in the fridge for lunches during the week, then vacuum sealed 6 lbs in three 2 lb pouches. Last Friday I defrosted one of the pouches and put it in boiling water for about 10 minutes. It was a great tasting quick dinner.

I agree with the others, every butt I have purchased from Costco has been two, boneless butts in the package. I usually cook one, freeze the other. As a tip, if you have butcher’s twine, I have found it helpful to tie those boneless butts. I believe they cook more evenly, as the twine holds everything together just like the bone would normally do.

I make my own rub, so I can’t advise you on the choices you mentioned. I can say that for store bought rub available locally, it’s hard to beat Famous Dave’s.

That's two boneless shoulders. Cook them both and freeze any leftovers.

For rub, I've tried a ton of them and I keep coming back to the simple is better...yellow mustard slather with Salt-Pepper-Garlic...it's foolproof. Add more rub when you pull it and mix it in to season the meat on the interior.

What about a rub? I'm thinking going with a mix of Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ and Honey Hog Hot.
I haven't tried the HH Hot, but I can certainly tell you that the HH is one of the best pork rubs that I've ever used. Speaking if which, I'm almost out and I need to order more. :D I'll look at the HH Hot as well.

I agree with the others, that looks like 2 butts in the package. Cooking both is a good idea if you can freeze the extra - pulled pork freezes and reheats well.

As for seasoning, I tend to make my own rubs - SPOG always works or you can make something with brown sugar if you want that in your bark. Bad Byron's Butt Rub is one of the few prepared ones that we use.

You guys, as always, are right. There was indeed to pork butts in the package. One half is in the deep freezer and the other is being prepped to be smoked later tonight. Probably around 10-11pm tonight.

If all goes well it should be ready to eat later tomorrow afternoon.

Frozen pulled pork is a gem when you are pressed for time and need to get something quickly. As mentioned above, it thaws pretty quick and then your options are pretty much limitless. I just recently thawed some leftovers and made some really good Gyros.

I have cut larger Butts before without issue. If it's too big to cook all at once, but not big enough to get two nice sized pieces, I will cut offset and braise the smaller piece for some Carnitas style enchiladas.

For those freezing the cooked pulled pork, I’m curious how you are reheating it? I’ve not been real pleased with how I’m doing it, but what has worked best so far is to simmer it in a little chicken stock.

I have simply microwaved it, if in a hurry, obviously not the best option.
I have put it in a pan with some stock or thin BBQ sauce and heated in oven or back on the Bull.
I know some have boiled in vacuum bag. I have not tried that yet.

As much as I am trying to resist having Yet One More Thing in my kitchen, I’m seeing more and more how I would benefit from having a vacuum sealer.

You won't regret it. I do tons of stuff in mine...prepared meats, raw meat, fruit, veggies, soups, sauces, dry goods, the list goes on and on. I smoked some half pans of baked spaghetti last month and froze them whole in a bag for the future. No freezer burn and no worrying about leaks.

Resized_20200726_100705.jpeg

For those freezing the cooked pulled pork, I’m curious how you are reheating it? I’ve not been real pleased with how I’m doing it, but what has worked best so far is to simmer it in a little chicken stock.
I'll put mine in a skillet over low heat with about an ounce of so of water to gently steam it up to temp. I then will add any different spices to it for what ever I will be cooking it for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back