Bone-in or out pork shoulders

Sully1546

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So yesterday I smoked 4 10 pound pork shoulders and was curious about something. I typically do bone-in shoulders but I made this for a friend and he bought boneless. They cooked pretty normal throughout the cook but seemed strange during shredding. I cooked them just like I normally would. This time I had parts of the meat that was very juicy and then parts that seemed very dry and stringy. Was curious if anyone else experienced this? Was wondering if this could have been from the bone being removed or just the brand used?

So yesterday I smoked 4 10 pound pork shoulders and was curious about something. I typically do bone-in shoulders but I made this for a friend and he bought boneless. They cooked pretty normal throughout the cook but seemed strange during shredding. I cooked them just like I normally would. This time I had parts of the meat that was very juicy and then parts that seemed very dry and stringy. Was curious if anyone else experienced this? Was wondering if this could have been from the bone being removed or just the brand used?
Roll and tie offers more uniformity to the cook for deboned butts, but some people prefer the diversity of both texture and doneness when pulled.

If I am doing pulled pork, I prefer bone-in as I think it helps protect the meat. But I've done boneless and they come out great. If i am doing carntas, then I prefer boneless as I usually try to flatten out the shoulder so it cooks faster.

It could be because of the actual cut of meat you have. Pork butt and pork shoulder come from different spots on the pig. Pork butt is more fatty and better for smoking because of the extra fat. Unfortunately the 2 are mislabeled all the time.

You absolutely should tie them tight when smoking boneless.

Even with that advice, I thought I would like boneless better because there is more surface area to get rub on. But after smoking a few boneless butts, I just didn’t like them quite as well. And it had nothing to do with the bone itself-a blade bone is going to add, for all practical purposes, zero flavor.

Also, @opus is spot-on about pork butt/shoulder identification. Research, if you don’t know already, about what the ‘money muscle’ is and only buy butts that have one.

I have done both many times and can get similar results (although I pull the boneless a little (5F) sooner. I don’t have a way to prove it but my lizard brain wants me to believe the bone acts as a heat shield during the stall and the meat around it is always extra moist. That’s why you always see people pulling it out with the least bit of effort. One day we may find out the truth, whatever that may be.

Funny, I always thought the bone in acted as a heat sink to get the middle done a little sooner. That would be assuming same dimensions of meat. If the boneless is splayed out (flattened), obviously boneless wins the race.

Funny, I always thought the bone in acted as a heat sink to get the middle done a little sooner. That would be assuming same dimensions of meat. If the boneless is splayed out (flattened), obviously boneless wins the race.
Smoke…,
You have a valid point but I’ve noticed that if I put a probe near the bone, by the time it clears the stall, the bone is at the same temp as the surrounding protein. Frankly, I can’t tell if it is absorbing or shielding heat but on my next cook, I’ll wire the butts like Dr. Frankenstein’s patient and repost.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I didn't think about tying them at all. Good idea though.

Yep tying them tight !

If they are not tied there are way too many thicknesses and there will be overdone and/or underdone portions.

I haven't tried putting the rub on the areas that will be internal when tied. That might be an idea. Thoughts?

When we cook Pork Butt, we take that "Cut" even further, "Butterflying" the Roast
As Greg said; "....because there is more surface area to get rub on..." also, a lot more Smoke gets into the Meat
AND a lot more Bark
I'm no "Expert", but Smoke and Bark are what makes it Barbeque
If you're not into THAT, you may as well cook it in the Oven ;)
Easter Butts 1.jpeg

Easter Butts 2.jpeg

Easter Butts 3.jpeg

Easter Butts 4.jpeg

Easter Butts 7.jpeg

I prefer bone-in. The only difference I’ve found is in the ‘ease of preparation’. I’ve had to tie up the boneless to hold it together. I have not noticed any difference in finished product.

When we cook Pork Butt, we take that "Cut" even further, "Butterflying" the Roast
As Greg said; "....because there is more surface area to get rub on..." also, a lot more Smoke gets into the Meat
AND a lot more Bark
I'm no "Expert", but Smoke and Bark are what makes it Barbeque
If you're not into THAT, you may as well cook it in the Oven ;)
View attachment 17788
View attachment 17789
View attachment 17790
View attachment 17791
View attachment 17792
I like the concept of splitting the butt. I also believe it will result in additional bark formation. Unfortunately, it comes at the sacrifice of retaining natural juices that a “whole” butt creates and captures. I also use the rendered juices as the base for my BBQ sauce and I usually have to supplement to get a decent volume of sauce. When pushed for time, I have used that technique but the results were not as flavorful as keeping the butt in tact. The good news is that butterflying and using a BBQ sauce can hide the sins of expedited cooking. For those getting ready for Turkey-day, the same principle applies. It is rare to get the same flavor profile with a spatchcocked turkey that you get with a rotisserie or whole turkey. Especially if you stuff your turkey with herbs, vegetables, and the like, but the cooking time is greatly reduced and if you are skittish about your skills, spatchcocking will rarely let you down.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back