Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin

SZmokin

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey y'all, new to the group. I've had my RT-700 since the beginning of the year and love it more every time.

I want to make some pork tenderloins for a group of 30 in the interest of using space well but keep hearing they dry out easily so do them hot and fast. I have three questions:

1. With hot and fast do they still gain a noticable smoke flavor?
2. If I wrap them in bacon can I then do low and slow without fear of drying them out because of bacon fat rendering.
3. If they're wrapped in bacon, will that cut back on the smoke flavor in the tenderloin?

Hey y'all, new to the group. I've had my RT-700 since the beginning of the year and love it more every time.

I want to make some pork tenderloins for a group of 30 in the interest of using space well but keep hearing they dry out easily so do them hot and fast. I have three questions:

2. If I wrap them in bacon can I then do low and slow without fear of drying them out because of bacon fat rendering.
3. If they're wrapped in bacon, will that cut back on the smoke flavor in the tenderloin?
I can't answer your questions, sorry.
But, welcome to the forum!

1. If you have the capability to cold smoke the tenderloin, do that for an hour or so before you wrap with bacon. Even a $20.00 smoke tube from AMZN would work just fine. After smoking, wrap it and put on the grill at 250 and monitor the internal temp until it gets up to about 165 F.

Or.......

2. Smoke the unwrapped tenderloin at 175 F (something less than 225 F so that you'll get max smoke from the 700). You can smoke/partially cook the tenderloin and wrap with bacon anytime you want.

If it were me, I'd probably go with option 2 above, but when it was time to cook at 250 F, I'd wrap everything in foil.

I think that smoking with bacon wrapped, the bacon will hinder smoke from getting into the tenderloin.

I don't personally think that bacon fat is going to find it's way into the tenderloin and provide any additional moisture. I haven't had a problem with the tenderloins that I've cooked having been dried out. While it's true that tenderloins are very low in fat, cooking to 165 F (maybe 170 F.......) should yield a moist piece of meat.

I'd suggest doing a trial run........

1. If you have the capability to cold smoke the tenderloin, do that for an hour or so before you wrap with bacon. Even a $20.00 smoke tube from AMZN would work just fine. After smoking, wrap it and put on the grill at 250 and monitor the internal temp until it gets up to about 165 F.

Or.......

2. Smoke the unwrapped tenderloin at 175 F (something less than 225 F so that you'll get max smoke from the 700). You can smoke/partially cook the tenderloin and wrap with bacon anytime you want.

If it were me, I'd probably go with option 2 above, but when it was time to cook at 250 F, I'd wrap everything in foil.

I think that smoking with bacon wrapped, the bacon will hinder smoke from getting into the tenderloin.

I don't personally think that bacon fat is going to find it's way into the tenderloin and provide any additional moisture. I haven't had a problem with the tenderloins that I've cooked having been dried out. While it's true that tenderloins are very low in fat, cooking to 165 F (maybe 170 F.......) should yield a moist piece of meat.

I'd suggest doing a trial run........
Much appreciated!

I’d also suggest trying one if you have time, I only cook them to 145.

think I’d try a reverse sear and the heck with worrying about the smoke flavor, you’ll get some.

Pork loin is safely cooked at 145F and remains much juicier than going to 160-165F. I routinely pull my pork tenderloins at 140F and let them rest for at least 20 minutes in an insulated container with old towel on top. They easily coast up to 145F.

As for smoke, I do mine at 180F for about 45 minutes and then finish at 250F. Because tenderloins (rather than loins) are pretty thin, they cook pretty quickly, so be sure to watch the internal temperature closely after the initial 180F smoke.

Can you cold smoke meats like pork?
Not sure how you define "cold smoke." Raw pork needs to reach an internal temperature of 145F to be safe. Ground pork (sausages, etc.) needs to go to 165F to be safe.

Last edited:
I seem to recall (iffy memory) that when I cooked pork to 145 F internal it was still a little wiggly/chewy for my tastes. I could be remembering incorrectly. Try what Jim and Padlin are recommending and see what you think. You can always cook it longer, but you can't cook it "shorter" ;)

Enclosed are some pictures with a way I did this a few years ago.

It turned out juicy and good, I don't recall how the smoke did, but looking at the picture of it cut I'm not seeing a strong ring.
I'm going to guess I wrapped it to rest as I don't see a temp drop mid cook but that's speculation after this much time.

IMG-2743.jpg
IMG-2744.jpg
IMG-2745.jpg
IMG-2746.PNG
IMG-2747.jpg
IMG-2748.jpg

I would marinate overnight in apple cider ,bay leaves and apple juice. Take them out of the brine early and dry them then put them on an open rack back in the fridge uncovered to form a "pellicle "( couple hrs.) Right out of the fridge smoke at 200 for a couple hours. Temp will probably be 120 or so then go ahead and up the temp to 350 and finish them off to shy of 145 or 150. Color should be good and juicy. If you wrap in bacon use thin bacon it will crisp up and add lots of taste. Good luck.

Resized_20220107_180118 (4).jpeg

I would marinate overnight in apple cider ,bay leaves and apple juice. Take them out of the brine early and dry them then put them on an open rack back in the fridge uncovered to form a "pellicle "( couple hrs.) Right out of the fridge smoke at 200 for a couple hours. Temp will probably be 120 or so then go ahead and up the temp to 350 and finish them off to shy of 145 or 150. Color should be good and juicy. If you wrap in bacon use thin bacon it will crisp up and add lots of taste. Good luck.

View attachment 19929
Would you wrap in bacon after brine?

There's no better value in meats for the grill than pork tenderloins. I'll second what's been said about reverse searing them. I rub them, smoke on the Bull with a smoke tube, and sear them on the bullseye until 145°. I must have a dozen packages like this in the freezer. They keep putting them on sale and I keep buying...

pork tender loin package.jpg

pork tender loin.jpg

Got some marinating in the fridge right now for tonite’s dinner! Pork tenderloins are easy to cook and have a great flavor. Those above look yummy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back