Stampede Baby Back Ribs - What am I doing wrong

cddawg

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So I'm new to Pellet grilling. Got the 590 a couple months ago and have done okay thus far. I'm struggling with baby back ribs though. I'm looking for the bite off the bone goodness. I've cooked them twice thus far using the 2-2-1 method. Reading that 3-2-1 is for spare ribs. Both attempts were at 225.

First attempt started great. Spritzed around every 30 mins. When I wrapped, I added honey, butter, and some of the apple juice spritz. Unwrapped after 2 hours and they were nice and tender. Halfway into the last part (unwrap for an hour) I noticed the ribs went from tender to hard as a rock. I panicked and wrapped them again for the final 30 mins (with sauce). Then let them sit for an hour (wrapped) before cutting. They turned out ok but were a little tough. Wasn't coming cleanly off the bone.

Second attempt I did everything the same except after unwrapping, I threw a probe in it for the final unwrapped hour. The temp read between 167-169 for the full hour. I know I'm looking for at least 195 but the kids were hungry and it was getting late. Rested them for 20 mins and they turned out slightly better than the first time but not tender enough.

Only thing I can think of is they need cooked longer. Everything I read says a 3-2-1 is too long for baby back though. The stalled temp seems odd for ribs, as some parts of it were much higher after unwrapping. Should I try not wrapping next time? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I've done the baby backs 3-2-1 and had them take over 7 hours. We like a little pull but are also ok with fall off the bone too I rather have them a little overdone than tough. It all depends on the meat as to the tenderness and time to cook. I have found It's not something to cook if time is tight.

I prefer my ribs to be bite of the bone typically found in competitions and most established bbq restaurants. I don't cook ribs by time or temperature because the bones will cause false readings on thermometer. I dry brine them overnight prior to the cook. Add the rub early morning and put back in fridge until ready to cook. Cook at 225 degrees UNTIL they pass the bend test. I will start checking them in the 4.5 - 5 hour range to be safe. Times vary but usually in the 5-6 hour range. I consistently get good ribs and tons of praise and requests for more.

@ken g nailed it. Exactly how I do mine. I do use a probe now. Thermoworks makes what they call a needle probe and it is designed specifically for ribs and it works great.

I still do the bend test but the probe is nice for ballpark.

Also how are you trimming up your ribs? When I first started out years ago smoking ribs I never knew you had to pull the silver skin off the ribs and they always came out exactly how you explained how yours came out...

This Link has an amazing explanation on how to smoke ribs..

https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe

I'm starting to get away from the temp probe in ribs, same for pulled pork. I've been using the temp probe of my instant read to check for tender by pushing it in, feeling for tender, not reading the temp. Have yet to do the bend test as I've always had to cut the racks in half on the 14" Weber. Haven't done a rack yet on the RT. FWIW, we're also slowly finding that I can't tell my wife when anything smoked will be done till it's close, seems the time to cook is never the same twice. I've had BB's take from 5 1/2 to over 7 hours.

There's also a pretty big size range in the BB racks I get.

I actually do 1 hour on LO, bump it to 225 and go 2 hours, 1 hour wrapped, and 1 hour basted with sauce. All three racks (2 baby backs, 1 st. louis) temped between 190-195. The reason I even tried it this way is because I knew that the pellet grill would hold consistant temps, get back up to temp faster, and just happened to work out. This is on the 340 mind you, but I would try it out on your 590 and see how it works for you. Also, cut out the spritzing and leave that lid closed. You're losing heat every time you open it, and to add to it you're cooling down the meat as well. Double whammy!

Last edited:
I'm starting to get away from the temp probe in ribs, same for pulled pork. I've been using the temp probe of my instant read to check for tender by pushing it in, feeling for tender, not reading the temp. Have yet to do the bend test as I've always had to cut the racks in half on the 14" Weber. Haven't done a rack yet on the RT. FWIW, we're also slowly finding that I can't tell my wife when anything smoked will be done till it's close, seems the time to cook is never the same twice. I've had BB's take from 5 1/2 to over 7 hours.

There's also a pretty big size range in the BB racks I get.

My response to my wife when asked what time the meat wil be done is, "When it's done!". Lol

Coming up on being married for 37 years, she has gotten use to my smart ass comments. :ROFLMAO:
Congrats on 37 years, man! We're on 10 years married, but have known each other longer. It's a tough gig sometimes, but it really shows what a person is made of to be able to have that kind of commitment. Kudos brutha! ?

It's already been said every piece of meat is different. Go by internal temp. Not time.
Personally RecTec wise, I don't usually wrap anymore. Only after the cook to let it rest and become juicy. Spritzing seems to cool the meat and take longer also. Pellet cooking is just a different ballpark. My stick burner would work 100% opposite*

I somewhat subscribe to the 3-2-1 method but don’t at the same time. I cook for 3 hours, then add same stuff I would in a wrap for the two hours But don’t actually wrap it. I make basic same concoction I would make if I did wrap and for those 2 hours periodically baste it on every 30 minutes or so. Then leave them alone for last hour except to glaze them at the 30 minute mark. Best ribs I’ve ever made

321 is just way too long for baby backs. Each rack I get is around 4.5lbs I believe. I do 2hr 45min (Spritz every 45min or so), then pull them off to add BBQ sauce (duluted w water...don’t use something with high fructose corn syrup otherwise it will burn) leave it on 10min, turn the ribs over and smoke another maybe 7-10min. Then I take off, wrap and put back on for 2 hours. When done, I take off and let it rest for maybe 30 minutes and it’s perfect. There’s just a little bit of meat that sticks to the bone, which I think is perfect. If you cooked just another 15 minutes or so, it would be falling off the bone.

Just did a rack yesterday @ 225. Wrapped at 160 after 3 hours, unwrapped 2 hrs later with meat at 175 ish. Bumped up to 250 and it still took 7 hrs total to finish at 198 and passing the bend test. No wind, temps in the 80's. I did not open the grill except to wrap and unwrap till I started to check for done.

Just did a rack yesterday @ 225. Wrapped at 160 after 3 hours, unwrapped 2 hrs later with meat at 175 ish. Bumped up to 250 and it still took 7 hrs total to finish at 198 and passing the bend test. No wind, temps in the 80's. I did not open the grill except to wrap and unwrap till I started to check for done.
Your grills pit temperature may be low like mine was, cooks taking way longer than recipes called for. Before cooking the Thanksgiving Turkey last year I checked it with a industrial temperature probe hooked up to my Fluke meter and measured in the center of the grill and found the temperature off around 25 degrees, made some adjustments in the controller and it's temperature and cooking time are a lot better. The adjustments are a little funky as they in percentages not degrees.

Thanks, I had checked it when I first got the grill a month ago against my Thermopro and made a slight adjustment, might be time to do it again now that it's broken in.

Out of curiosity, what's the Fluke meter, a DVM?

Thanks, I had checked it when I first got the grill a month ago against my Thermopro and made a slight adjustment, might be time to do it again now that it's broken in.

Out of curiosity, what's the Fluke meter, a DVM?
Yes expensive as hell but a quality product, I needed a DVOM that I could trust back when I was a Technician, nothing worse than a lying DVOM to spend countless hours chasing your tail on electric problems.
20200606_120439.jpg

That's pretty cool. I've got a Fluke too, but this is the first I've seen of the thermocouple, not that I'm going to shell out for one at this point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back