Stampede Baby Back Ribs - What am I doing wrong

When I first started out smoking meats I used the 3-2-1 for St. Louis Ribs and the 2-2-1 for baby backs. The outcome was very consistent. Over time, we determined we liked a bit of a bite to the ribs. Now that I have been doing this for about 3 years, my go to for ribs is trim, season with hot sauce, apply rub, let sit until they sweat. Onto the grill at 225 until the 5.5 hr mark and brush with BBQ sauce. Then I wait it out another 1/2 hour or so for the ribs to pass the bend test. I've never used a thermometer for ribs nor do I take into consideration any stall. I just know when I make ribs, I need to allow for 6 hours max.

One of the great things about the 3-2-1 method is it's predictability. Especially when we are new to smoking. When I wrapped, I added butter, brown sugar, honey and about 1/2 cup apple juice. Similar to what you are doing. I double the foil and it's a tight wrap, meat down, bones up.

I've never experienced ribs turning tough. If anything, they are more fall off the bone (if I wrap).

It's possible it had something to do with the meat. Especially if this has worked for you before.

If you are following the 3-2-1 directions to the T, and not getting the results you expect, you might want to try Berkshire pork ribs. I have found them to be "juicier" than standard pork. You can get them at Wild Fork.

321 is just way too long for baby backs. Each rack I get is around 4.5lbs I believe. I do 2hr 45min (Spritz every 45min or so), then pull them off to add BBQ sauce (duluted w water...don’t use something with high fructose corn syrup otherwise it will burn) leave it on 10min, turn the ribs over and smoke another maybe 7-10min. Then I take off, wrap and put back on for 2 hours. When done, I take off and let it rest for maybe 30 minutes and it’s perfect. There’s just a little bit of meat that sticks to the bone, which I think is perfect. If you cooked just another 15 minutes or so, it would be falling off the bone
321 is just way too long for baby backs. Each rack I get is around 4.5lbs I believe. I do 2hr 45min (Spritz every 45min or so), then pull them off to add BBQ sauce (duluted w water...don’t use something with high fructose corn syrup otherwise it will burn) leave it on 10min, turn the ribs over and smoke another maybe 7-10min. Then I take off, wrap and put back on for 2 hours. When done, I take off and let it rest for maybe 30 minutes and it’s perfect. There’s just a little bit of meat that sticks to the bone, which I think is perfect. If you cooked just another 15 minutes or so, it would be falling off the bone.
Before I was 25 and knew 0 about BBQ, I was told by the local guru to follow this rule. "Follow the 3 down rule for Baby Backs." Baby backs above 3 lbs start to have large flat ribs, and more fat between layers on top and seem to have less meat between. Whereas at 3 lbs or slightly less, the bones are small, round and meatier. So bigger is not better. I look for 3 lb racks of BBs. I cook them two ways;
1: 225* 2.5 hrs, with mustard, then rub, on the pit naked, Do not sprits or look at them for this time if
your temp is correct.
2 hrs foiled with brown sugar, honey, butter, Tiger sauce and about an ounce of apple juice.
I drain and save the liquid when taking them out of the wrap, as it is wonderful to baste with at the
end.
Paint the ribs with sauce, and put them back on the smoker until the sauce sets and they pass the
bend test. Usually around 30 minutes more or less. Let em set for 10 minutes. Cut em and use the
saved liquid at the table to baste before eating (if desired--my wife prefers more sauce).
2: Lately have preferred the Fast Eddy method:
Brown sugar the ribs and place in fridge over night.
Use your favorite rub just before cook time (no mustard!)
275* for 3 hrs., I do sprits quickly, every hour with apple cider vinegar and water 50/50. to keep the
surface from getting tough.
Sauce em, bend test. If not done enough back on the grill until sauce sets. Test again.
Let em set, cut em , serve em.
Comparison: The 225* method takes more time, effort, ingredients, but the results are a more tender rib surface meat. Often fall off the bone more. The 275* is quicker, simpler, with a bit more texture but still pulls off the bone easy. And the brown sugar makes a better darker crust which we prefer.
But WTHDIK?

Lots of great info and tips here! This is where I learned! I have a 590 and been cooking ribs for about 2 years. Have used 3-2-1 for St. Louis style and 2-2-1 for BB. That being said, I never use a thermometer.
I would only spritz once per hour at the most. I use ACV, AJ or just water.

So smoke for 3/2 or 2/2 then wrap and honestly the last hour is more like 30 minutes or NONE. I do not sauce my ribs and only use the last 30 minutes or so to dry them out from being wrapped. Honestly I have done 3/2 and 2/2 not put them back on and been great!
Bend test is the deal.

Just cooked some last weekend, awesome.

I think the deal here is dont overthink it, I know I used to.

Lots of great advice here, also this guy does a good job explaining for beginners, The Dawgfatha's BBQ

Just dont get discouraged!

Checkout Amazingribs.com regarding smoking ribs both BB and Spare.
I no longer wrap. Spritzing makes no difference just extends your cook time and prevents good bark formation on the ribs. Use the bend test and toothpick test to determine when the ribs are tender. Temp is not a good indicator as it can vary at different parts of the slab.

I had insane bark with my apple juice spritzing every hour, never wrapped them and smoked at 235 most the time, with the last hour up to 250F.

I had insane bark with my apple juice spritzing every hour, never wrapped them and smoked at 235 most the time, with the last hour up to 250F.
Agree, lots of good advice. Lots of ways to adjust time vs temp etc. They all seem to produce good results when proper ratio of time to temp is followed. Did not see any comments on rib rack size for BB's. I think even for spares, that the smaller racks might be better. ?? Now if you are trimming to St. Louis style that may not be the case but I still do not like big flat ribs. (pork that is)

I've got the RT700, and used the 3-2-1 method for some time. I have since gone to using the ribalizer. I am able to have a cook of 6 racks in it. They are fall off the bone tender in half the time. I also used the ribalizer for a smoked prime rib the came out fantastic, works well for chicken and fish too.

I think the problem is that know one mentioned wrapping the ribs at the end of the cook and putting them in a cooler wrapped in a towel for at least one hour. Two is better but I like mine to where you can just slide the bone right out and have pure meat. You can make a real rib sandwich like that! This allows the ribs to steam until they are fall apart done. They are the best and everyone will think that you are a grill master.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back