Bull Any idea why my temps were all ovwr the place last night?

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I put 2 pork shoulders on last night. Usually the smoker holds 225 very well even at 14°. But last night was only about 32°. I obviously opened the door in the beginning to put the shoulders on at 1:00am, and once about 25min ago to wrap. See red line in pic below. Any ideas besides a little elves coming out of the woods and screwing with it?
Screenshot_20231224_091530_recteq.jpg

I am not (RT700 here as well) sure but I rarely see anything like this unless it is windy, gusting wind or on and off rain. Well, I must confess I used to get stuff like this on my stick Burner but never impacted the cook aside from time. I cook to temp so time is just a swag.

I am not (RT700 here as well) sure but I rarely see anything like this unless it is windy, gusting wind or on and off rain. Well, I must confess I used to get stuff like this on my stick Burner but never impacted the cook aside from time. I cook to temp so time is just a swag.
Thanks for the reply. Actually there was no wind or rain and I have the smoker located in a spot thats surrounded by two walls of the house 8ft x 14ft. Weird, not sure whats up.

Funny enough, when my friend that has a stick burner keeps telling me to get one instead, I tell him when I feel the need to have a stick burner, I go out there and turn the dial all the way up, than all the way down, then repeat. LOL

I suppose I may be nuts, but that looks pretty stable to me. One thing to keep in mind for the next cook is that if you warm up your grill at the exact temp you are looking to cook, then add a large amount of protein like two butts or a large brisket, the grill will need to start the process of stabilizing all over again. If I’m say going to cook at 250°, I’ll warm it up at 350°, then when I add 2 butts I’ll lower the set temp to 250°. Seems to stabilize faster that way. The smaller the amount of protein I’m cooking, the closer the warm up temp is set to the final, desired cook temp.

I suppose I may be nuts, but that looks pretty stable to me. One thing to keep in mind for the next cook is that if you warm up your grill at the exact temp you are looking to cook, then add a large amount of protein like two butts or a large brisket, the grill will need to start the process of stabilizing all over again. If I’m say going to cook at 250°, I’ll warm it up at 350°, then when I add 2 butts I’ll lower the set temp to 250°. Seems to stabilize faster that way. The smaller the amount of protein I’m cooking, the closer the warm up temp is set to the final, desired cook temp.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Its just weird that I never had this problem before. Usually it will drop when I put food on, but always holds temp thereafter very consistently, within 5°.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back