Bull Accessories to start with

I was considering the BULL but when I looked at the "accessory packs" I was thinking of getting the "GRAND CHAMPION BUNDLE". This really gets the price up there. What I am trying to understand is which options have most found best useful. I am not sure the extra shelves are needed for most use cases. I was also considering the heavier duty rollers but that is also pushing the price up there. When I look at the options which accessories have most found to be the must haves?

For starting I was considering:
  • Bull
  • Smoker Box
  • Cover
  • Front Shelf
  • Searing Kit
  • Cooking Mats
  • 200# pellets
  • Thermostat
There really isn't a premade setup that contains just those items. When you piecemeal the items together they are almost as expensive as some of their other premade setups. Which setup have most gone with? Any regrets on missing items or "ehh, really didn't need this item". Thanks!

I was/am in a very similar boat as you. I'm not sure your smoking experience, but mine is 0. I've read a learned a lot from forums as well as some of the live Rec Tec sessions on FB and Twitter. I just purchased a Rec Tec-700 Bull on Saturday (hopefully it ships today). I wondered what to buy with it and was also cost conscious as you seem to be. Sounds like you are set on which grill to get, Bull. As for the rest, break it down to how you will use it. For me the grill will have a permanent home on my back patio (uncovered). So I got the cover to help protect my investment. My family and I like to eat steaks and at parties we host I've been told that some of the kids that will be coming over don't care for things like pulled pork or briquette. The combination of that information lead me to the sear kit. So I purchased that to be able to do burgers/dogs for kids more quickly and to get a good sear on my steaks. I chose not to get any pellets as I have a Rural King 5 minutes from my house who carry Lumberjack pellets which I've heard phenomenal things about. Not that I don't think Rec Tec pellets are awesome (I'm sure they are) the packages they are bundled with didn't line up with the accessories "I" wanted. I also searched a few of the recipes I wanted to try first from the Rec Tec site and bout 3 different rubs that were predominately featured in the recipes I wanted to try. That's all I purchased. If I find the need after a few smoke sessions that I need more space to rest plates and things, I'll go back and order the front shelf. I suspect I may. If I find I need even more cooking surface than the standard Bull, I'll order the interior shelf later. Probably won't need for my cooking quantities usually, but nice to know it's an option. The smoker box looks awesome and seems like a great idea, but I don't like cheese so smoking cheese isn't something I want to do. I do like fish though. So if I'm unsuccessful cooking/smoking fish without it, perhaps I'll invest in it down the road. It's pretty costly though. I own some cooking mats already so don't need those but I hear they are great for veggies and small things so they don't fall through the cooking grate. As for the thermostat, I'm going to do the calibration on the probes and check the included monitors with good known monitors just to verify correct temps and shouldn't need an additional thermostat. Sorry for the long reply, but sometimes just talking it out helps. Good luck in your decision making!!

@this_is_my_name all of the items are have listed above is certainly worth having. That said I don't believe all need to be purchased from RecTec unless you just want to spend more.

Sure the RecTec Bull pellet grill is absolutely amazing - I LOVE mine! And of course you're going to need pellets so getting from them will save you some money. I also believe the front shelf is a huge plus and wish I would have gotten one when I first ordered my Bull instead of waiting.

Things like the thermometer can be purchased cheaper, such as buying a Lavatools Javelin for about half the price. I also picked up a commercial entry rug for less than $20 at my local Home Depot which I use in place of buying an expensive "grilling pad".

The second shelf RecTec sells seems a bit to low for me liking and am thinking about having one made for my instead. The grill cover I have and like it a lot, but it's nearly un-needed as my Bull lives under a covered deck.

Finally, I like the comp cart a lot. It looks really nice but I found it hard to spend that much money on one when doing the RecTec wheel mod is so easy and inexpensive.

Be sure to take a look at our Recommended Pellet Grill Accessories thread for other ideas.

I have the older 680 model, but many of the same questions you are juggling, I did the same. When it came down to it, some of the items I have found useful, and included in the package I purchased:

1.) Second shelf. Does not seem like something important, but with several parties I have had, that second shelf has been used on multiple occasions in the past few years.

2.) 200# of pellets. The pellets included with this package are very very good, and come shipped right to your house at time of delivery. No having to go and pick up at the local store, and gives you a few months of cooking with good pellets without having to go buy them.

3.) Cover -- this was really good and something I used religiously for 1.5 years. Recently with all the rain we have had, I have not used the cover as much since it always seems to be raining when I finish cooling, but still use the grill later without being covered.

4.) Front Shelf -- no brainer, order it. If you don't, you will wish you have it. I have a few shelving options out with the pit, and still always use the shelf.

5.) Smoker box -- don't have it, and for me I have not missed it.

6.) Cooking Mats -- I ordered with my package and still use them. If you do not get with the package I recommend getting them locally as they are key to some cooks. I just thought, since I was ordering the grill, get the mats with the package when I ordered. Same with the thermometer, but lots of options to go there too.

I ended up going with the bundle where you get 200lbs of pellets, and a cover. I figured that covered the "need to have" and almost everything else was "want to have."

I then ordered the grillgrates separately from the grillgrates website because with a promo code I could get it at a cheaper price.

I've heard the smoke box isn't that great because it gets too hot, and IMO, I could use my a'maze'n smoke tube to work as a cold smoker.

I do wish I had gotten the front shelf, but tbh I haven't missed not having it yet except for when I'm working with trays (you can fit 2 standard food service half sheet pans in a bull, or a single full sheet). Luckily, it's easy enough to throw a tray on the side shelf, but I could see getting a bit overwhelmed if you were trying to do several things at once.

The cooking mats I didn't consider because I literally have no use for them. I can throw food on the grillgrates if I want something to cook with airflow around it, or on trays. You can also buy cooking mats relatively cheaply at home depot if you want them later.

By thermostat, I assume you mean a pen thermometer. If that's the case, I'd look into buying a thermapen. They're the gold standard of probe thermometers, and have a thermocouple that is ridiculously fast and accurate.

Each of these could be purchased separately from the main bundle.

If you really want the smoke box, I'd buy it outright, since you'll need a different cover if you leave it installed. If you take a look at the photos RT has on their website, you can see that the cover is different with the box in place (the top right is box shaped instead of stovepipe shaped).

Last edited:
I finally pulled the trigger. My package arrives today. I ended up taking the advice and not going all out. I decided to get some accessories from elsewhere as opposed to getting it all from rectec. With that said, I did decide to still get the smokebox. I ordered:

RT-700
Folding Shelf
Large Interior Shelf
SmokeBox
Cover

Sure hope I like it. My current grill is a basic webber gold propane grill that I have had for over 10+ years.

Happy for you. I remember the excitement I was going through just 2 weeks ago as I tracked my shipment multiple times a day. Could not wait for my 590 to get here. And once it did, I have not stopped cooking!

I was considering the BULL but when I looked at the "accessory packs" I was thinking of getting the "GRAND CHAMPION BUNDLE". This really gets the price up there. What I am trying to understand is which options have most found best useful. I am not sure the extra shelves are needed for most use cases. I was also considering the heavier duty rollers but that is also pushing the price up there. When I look at the options which accessories have most found to be the must haves?

For starting I was considering:
  • Bull
  • Smoker Box
  • Cover
  • Front Shelf
  • Searing Kit
  • Cooking Mats
  • 200# pellets
  • Thermostat
There really isn't a premade setup that contains just those items. When you piecemeal the items together they are almost as expensive as some of their other premade setups. Which setup have most gone with? Any regrets on missing items or "ehh, really didn't need this item". Thanks!
So...I'm curious. Did you end up using the smoke box? Are you happy you included it?

So...I'm curious. Did you end up using the smoke box? Are you happy you included it?
So, I’m not who you asked but I bought my Bull with smoke box about a year ago and I can comment. I bought a package deal, and you could say the discount made the smoke box free, but I would have added it anyway if it wasn’t. Do I use it a lot? No, but I do use it enough to say I’m glad I have it. I use it more to cook sides at a lower temp or keep food warm than I do as a smoker, but I have cold smoked cheese using a smoke tube only and I liked the results.

It does add considerable width to the unit however, and mounting the handle on the side of the box is somewhat fragile. My son went to help me move it one day, and he lifted up on the handle and I thought the smoke box was going to come off! All in all, still a useful addition for me.

So, I’m not who you asked but I bought my Bull with smoke box about a year ago and I can comment. I bought a package deal, and you could say the discount made the smoke box free, but I would have added it anyway if it wasn’t. Do I use it a lot? No, but I do use it enough to say I’m glad I have it. I use it more to cook sides at a lower temp or keep food warm than I do as a smoker, but I have cold smoked cheese using a smoke tube only and I liked the results.

It does add considerable width to the unit however, and mounting the handle on the side of the box is somewhat fragile. My son went to help me move it one day, and he lifted up on the handle and I thought the smoke box was going to come off! All in all, still a useful addition for me.
Great info, thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back