Stampede 590, Wait or Other

zebra

Hello all you RT owners. Looking to purchase a 590 tomorrow, but I have some questions before pulling the deal.

Without any bias please. I cannot afford the 700 and honestly do not need the grill space, however I had the back vents of the 590 and wish they included the rain vents for free. Does this seem like a big issue when you are using your 590 or not? Also love the looks of the 700 better.

Second the gage of metal...Those that have seen or have purchased both, how is the 590 compared to the 700? Unfortunately without a local showroom I don't want to be disappointed in my purchase being unable to see it first.

Last...Per the above, should I look elsewhere? As mentioned I cannot afford the 700, but the sale on the 590 is really caught my attention, especially in my budget.

I don’t know about the 700,but I’m really enjoying my 590,plenty of cook space for the family and guests. I can’t speak about the rain issue, I have an outdoor kitchen, good excuse to put up a small bbq shack!

Last edited:
The newest version of the RT-590 has louvers for the vents so gone are the days of needing to spend money to keep rain from getting in your vents on the RT-590 (huge oversight on RT's part on the previous version IMO).

That said, make sure you research the app interface specifically if that's something that's important to you. If you need alarms/notifications for your cooks the built-in temp probes and app are basically worthless. It's been broken for about a year with no solution in sight. If you have any desire to utilize the app at all I'd recommend looking elsewhere as you'll likely be let down.

If you plan to ignore the app and have no use for it then the RT is probably one of the best built smokers you can buy but overpriced as part of what you're paying for is the app which isn't even supported by RT.

The newest version of the RT-590 has louvers for the vents so gone are the days of needing to spend money to keep rain from getting in your vents on the RT-590 (huge oversight on RT's part on the previous version IMO).

That said, make sure you research the app interface specifically if that's something that's important to you. If you need alarms/notifications for your cooks the built-in temp probes and app are basically worthless. It's been broken for about a year with no solution in sight. If you have any desire to utilize the app at all I'd recommend looking elsewhere as you'll likely be let down.

If you plan to ignore the app and have no use for it then the RT is probably one of the best built smokers you can buy but overpriced as part of what you're paying for is the app which isn't even supported by RT.
Thank you for that....This another reason I am wondering if my money would be better on a CC with a app that works. Really like the RT, but seems to be a few questions.

I don’t know about the 700,but I’m reall enjoying my 590,plenty of cook space for the family and guests. I can’t speak about the rain issue, I have an outdoor kitchen, good excuse to put up a small bbq shack!
Thank you Pete

Thank you for that....This another reason I am wondering if my money would be better on a CC with a app that works. Really like the RT, but seems to be a few questions.
If I had to do over again I wouldn't be a RT. Now that I'm in I'm just hanging on hoping that they'll get their poop in a group and fix their app issue. It's just software after all. It's not like we're talking about some glaring hardware issue that is causing issues... it's just software.

That said, it's been about a year and I'm just about done waiting for them to care. I may just cut my losses and move on. In doing so though I'll make sure that anyone who asks knows the details of my personal experience. I think that one of the Camp Chief (I assume that's what you meant by "CC") would make the final cut for my consideration for replacement.

That's the opinion of one owner. Take it for what it's worth. There will be lots of RT fanbois along any minute now to tell you I'm wrong and the solution to the app not working is to just not use it. lol

I just ordered a 590 and had a conversation about this with a Recteq guy on the phone. The vent design was changed and...
1) there are multiple horizontal "slots" instead of the 3 larger openings
2) each of the slots has a little "hood" that is stamped directly into the rear panel, sort of like the old vent covers, but built in on a smaller scale since the slots are much narrower than before.

The chap I spoke with assured me there was absolutely no issue with rain.While that might be a bit of over-enthusiasm, the traditional chimney of the 700 is possibly susceptible to wind driven rain as would the new 590 vent design.

I simply didn't need the size of the 700, nor did I want to pay the 50% price difference.

In my case, the grill will be rolled out of the garage to cook and I can turn it around so the back is facing the garage door under roof overhang to help protect from a gusty rain shower (I live in FL). I just need to not plan a long smoke (brisket or pork butt) if bad weather is forecast overnight. A late night rain shower isn't likely to hurt anything.

I just ordered a 590 and had a conversation about this with a Recteq guy on the phone. The vent design was changed and...
1) there are multiple horizontal "slots" instead of the 3 larger openings
2) each of the slots has a little "hood" that is stamped directly into the rear panel, sort of like the old vent covers, but built in on a smaller scale since the slots are much narrower than before.

The chap I spoke with assured me there was absolutely no issue with rain.While that might be a bit of over-enthusiasm, the traditional chimney of the 700 is possibly susceptible to wind driven rain as would the new 590 vent design.

I simply didn't need the size of the 700, nor did I want to pay the 50% price difference.

In my case, the grill will be rolled out of the garage to cook and I can turn it around so the back is facing the garage door under roof overhang to help protect from a gusty rain shower (I live in FL). I just need to not plan a long smoke (brisket or pork butt) if bad weather is forecast overnight. A late night rain shower isn't likely to hurt anything.
Thank you for you feedback....Very similar to how I am thinking. Appreciate your time.

My app worked fine all weekend. I use it almost every weekend and do not have many problems with it.
This weekend or always. This is the biggest complaint I hear about RT and has me concerend spending this type of money. It should always perform, however I do understand there is some various due to user error that can play role.

As to the potential app issues (I'm on iOS, not Android, so it's not clear if this will affect me), Even if I end up buying something like a Fireboard 2 to take over temp monitoring, I'm still under $1000 for a smoker whose construction/materials is above its price class.

I've been very happy with my 590. I don't depend on the notification feature, I find simply looking at the temps to be enough for me. Otherwise, it is a solid unit that just works.

This weekend or always. This is the biggest complaint I hear about RT and has me concerend spending this type of money. It should always perform, however I do understand there is some various due to user error that can play role.
They only time it troubles me is sometimes on a holiday weekend, the alerts may lag. I have a rough idea how long my cooks should be and pay closer attention when the time gets close.

I've been very happy with my 590. I don't depend on the notification feature, I find simply looking at the temps to be enough for me. Otherwise, it is a solid unit that just works.
Yep, notifications are one feature out of many. My notifications don't work 100% of the time, and that upsets me...never. RT grills are solid units that turn out amazing food. The controller works well. Is the app perfect? Probably not and that would not prevent me from enjoying my purchase. Meat and veggies will be coming off mine soon. I have no doubt they will taste great.

Without any bias please. I cannot afford the 700 and honestly do not need the grill space, however I had the back vents of the 590 and wish they included the rain vents for free. Does this seem like a big issue when you are using your 590 or not? Also love the looks of the 700 better.
The vents have been redesigned on the current 590 so they don't require rain vents like the previous 590. The new one uses louvered type vents. I don't know how well they do with the rain, I have the older model.

The vents have been redesigned on the current 590 so they don't require rain vents like the previous 590. The new one uses louvered type vents. I don't know how well they do with the rain, I have the older model.
Thank you for the details

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back