1st Brisket. aka Independence Day Brisket

Freedom Forged

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
First ever attempt. Only a 9 lb brisket. Wanted larger but it is one of the briskets from a cow I had butchered so it's what I had.
Overall I was pleased, the bark could have been better and the flat was a little dry. Maybe because it was thin. On a good note the point was awesome. I learned a lot....

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2270.PNG

How did you cook it?
Kosher salt and black pepper. On the RT fat side up @275. Spritzed about every 15-20 minutes after it looked like it was getting dry. About the 4ish hour mark with an internal temp of *180 I wrapped in butcher paper with 4 chunks of butter on top.
Back on until it probed tender which turned out to be *209 on the Thermapen. Rested it for 4 hours.

Things I'd do different:

Heavier on the Salt and Pepper.

*250 for more smoke, at least until I wrap, maybe for the whole cook depending on time.

Wrap it much tighter in the butcher paper.

Let it rest much longer using a cooler or lowest setting on the oven.

These are just things I want to try, not saying they are right or better than the dozens of other ways to do it.

I am a complete novice when it comes to brisket.....

Kosher salt and black pepper. On the RT fat side up @275. Spritzed about every 15-20 minutes after it looked like it was getting dry. About the 4ish hour mark with an internal temp of *180 I wrapped in butcher paper with 4 chunks of butter on top.
Back on until it probed tender which turned out to be *209 on the Thermapen. Rested it for 4 hours.

Things I'd do different:

Heavier on the Salt and Pepper.

*250 for more smoke, at least until I wrap, maybe for the whole cook depending on time.

Wrap it much tighter in the butcher paper.

Let it rest much longer using a cooler or lowest setting on the oven.

These are just things I want to try, not saying they are right or better than the dozens of other ways to do it.

I am a complete novice when it comes to brisket.....
It only took 4 hours to get to a internal temp of 180? I see you're cooking at 275 but man, that seems quick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrzBBQ
Back