Smokehouse pellets for 1st brisket?

OceanSailor

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've had my Bull for about 6 months and I'm finally ready to try smoking a brisket. I picked one up at Sam's along with some Smokehouse pellets... a blend of hickory, oak, maple and cherry. I have not used these pellets before and I searched the forums and a few reviews that mention this brand seem to say they burn well and have not caused problems but I couldn't find much about the smoke "flavor", particularly for briskets. Has anyone used them for a brisket?

My alternative is to make a 50 mile drive to Rural King and restock my Lumber Jack pellets (which I will probably do sooner or later). Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know much about pellets since pellet smoking is new to me but on the old stick burner that mix will be fine for brisket as it is similar wood that I used for briskets.
Good luck

I've been happy with LJ pellets. But that is a heck of a drive to restock for your brisket. I have not used smokehouse but the reviews do seem pretty favorable. If it were me, I'd give them a shot.

I typically use Lumberjack and Cooking pellets, though recently got two bags of pit boss Hickory and they are good too. Haven't used smokehouse, but that blend seems typical to a Competition blend that a lot of pellet makers use and I also use. Its a nice and mild blend. I think you will be fine. If you are concerned about not enough smoke, go LO Extreme smoke for a little while. Just add that increase of time to your overall projected cook time though.

Anyone know why recteq doesn't still have their own pellets on their website? I get the Kingsford partnership and that is really cool, but those CookinPellets or whatever they are selling now don't have the greatest reviews.

I can’t tell you why they switched out the pellets in the grill bundle, but I can say that recteq has sold these CookinPellets for a long time. I’ve bought 400# of them from recteq, still have some, and I consider them to be one of my favorite pellets. I don’t know if recteq has ever confirmed this, but many people believe the recteq pellets are made by CookinPellets.

Having said that, at $1.00 per pound for that bundle it’s not a great value, but if you want the recteq pellets call them when you are ready to order your grill. I expect they would be willing to accommodate you.

Last edited:
Back to the original question, I've commented on Smokehouse here before as I've used them. They've worked fine for me. To my nose the exhaust has a bit more hickory smell than the Cookin' Pellets Comp blend. As for taste on the meat there is little to no difference to my palete from the CP, but comparing taste outcomes from person to person isn't very meaningful due to physical/chemical differences.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back