Zero to 60 wings

Danschep

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hey all, sorry if this has been discussed. I ran searches but came up empty.
What are 0 to 60 wings? What's the process?
Thanks!

It's 0 - 400. Put the wings on the grill, set grill to 400 close the lid and turn them after the first 30 minutes. Let go another 30 minutes, and that should be it. Lot's of vid's' on YT.

And welcome to the forum!

Something I do that helps get the skin crispy is after I divide them and dry them off good I put them on a wire rack and baking sheet and let them sit in the fridge for around three hours. I smoke them at 225 until they are looking close then bump up to about 375 to finish off. Turn out great every time. Not dry at all by great flavor and crispy skin even when I sauce them. Good luck!

I have baking recipes that start with an unbaked loaf in a cold oven set for 400 degrees (inside house type oven). I have seen "baked" bacon recipes that recommend starting it in a cold oven.

I have never seen "frozen wings" in a cold start pellet grill set at 400 degrees with 30 minutes/turn 30 minutes done. I think I may try it just so see what's what.

I will come back with my result.

Are the frozen wings "real wings" or a couple of bags of the frozen Tyson "buffalo wings?
My test will be a bag of the "Tysons". Quick "no brainer" dinner or party appetizer. I have done them frozen at 350 preheated pellet grill. Just dump, spread around, turn, then pull. About 25-30 minutes as i recall.

Love this forum.
v/r r

With thawed wings (and with most of my "bbq" chicken cooks) I tend to use 325 as a minimum. This is the minimum temp that I am pretty sure will let me avoid the dreaded "rubber" skin.

325 degrees + adequate time does not guarantee me "crispy" skin, but it does let me convert all the skin fat to collagen. It will be a thin skin with a good bite.

There is no reason why 275 shouldn't do the same thing. It would just need more time. It might give you a more gentle and complete collagen conversion.

No judgement here. If it works, do it.

v/r r

Something I do that helps get the skin crispy is after I divide them and dry them off good I put them on a wire rack and baking sheet and let them sit in the fridge for around three hours. I smoke them at 225 until they are looking close then bump up to about 375 to finish off. Turn out great every time. Not dry at all by great flavor and crispy skin even when I sauce them. Good luck!
I do the same, but follow J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's process of sprinkling kosher salt and baking powder (1 tsp ea per pound) and let them dry out in the fridge overnight. skin gets nice and crispy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back