Stampede Below zero cooking

Lineforeman

I am planning on cooking a brisket for Christmas Eve day when the kids come home and the forecast for Friday night is -2 degrees . I have done pork butts when it was 20 to 30 degrees but never in sub zero temperatures. I have a welding blanket to cover it with. Has anybody had any experience with this cold of temperatures?

I've cooked in the teens but not below zero. The welding blanket helped, I held it in place with strong magnets, got to be strong cause the heat temporarily lessens their power. The only thing I ran into was if there is stick goop from cooking on the outside the blanket will stick to it, which does a number on the blanket if its a felt one.

I used a bit more fuel but no big deal. The smoker stayed at 225 without and problems.

Limit the times you have to.open the lid, cools off quick throwing off the cook times.

I've smoked in close to zero degrees before with my bull. Definitely use a welding blanket(I have one also I use for super cold weather) as that does help hold in the heat and allow for less pellet consumption. The bull will work like a champ though....no issues when cooking is super cold weather.

Hmmmm…this endeavor could bring new meaning to the term “freeze dried!” :ROFLMAO:

As has been suggested, a welding blanket will help and try to position the grill where it is not exposed to wind. Good luck and let us know how this goes.

I've cooked in the low teens, I use a blanket which I found cooks better with one than without, though it will keep temp without a blanket.

IMG_3400.JPG

Never underestimate the utility of cast iron. I lived in Northern Maine (Limestone) for a while and we would put our cast iron in the empty areas of the smoker/grill. Once they were up to temp, it can help with heat retention and quicker recoveries when opened. I posted this tip somewhere else on this site and others chimed in with their pro-tips. Good luck with your cooking.

So how did you vent the exhaust??
The cover had an open slot sewn in the back. I removed 2 of the tabs since they went across the edge of the outer vents (I may sew them back on next to the vents).

IMG_3516.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

Last edited:
I have smoked chicken down to -5°. Wind is worse than cold temps. Just remember, gonna lose a lot of time for each time you open smoker. Takes a lot to recover when -5° temps rush in .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back