Wood chips in the hopper

that’s really interesting! if anyone tries it let us know how it works. i bet it would give a great flavor. ever sense i got my pellet grill i have always wanted to fill it up with deer corn just to see what would happen.

Why, they are pellet grills. Why risk jamming the auger up. Want the extra chip smoke, put it in a tube.
Folks must like them, they are completely sold out.

WOW WOW WOW. That would be a potential game-changer, I feel.

Sure, you can put a smoke tube in, but this takes it back to a set-it-and-forget-it type of arrangement. Curious what their auger looks like to be able to handle the various wood chip shapes/sizes???

I think the smaller chips, like in the weber bags, could be OK. They're small and uniform. Other brands, which may even be better for whatever reason - but look like mulch are the ones that are going to mess up the grill. (IMO)

Chips won't break up or apart like the highly compressed pellets, this is a bad scenario waiting to happen. Plus the chips will just burn up like the pellets, they won't be clean smoke smoldering.

If I had one of their grills, I would like to try it. Don't really want to try it on my Recteq since I'm sure the auger designs are different. Not too crazy about the $2 a pound when pellets are $0.50-1.00 pound.

Think I will try a mix in smoke tube and see if I like that until a braver soul than I can run the mix a few times with no issues to report.

Has anyone seen this? I haven't seen it discussed here. Lone Star Grillz has wood chips they mix with pellets to run through their pellet grills.

https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/accessories/products/wood-chips

Here's a couple YouTube videos:

Please note, I'm not suggesting that anyone should try this in their Recteq, just sharing the information and curious what everyone thinks.

Thanks
This looks line one of those "Hold my beer and watch this." moments.

Think I will try a mix in smoke tube and see if I like that until a braver soul than I can run the mix a few times with no issues to report.
I've mixed pellets and chips in tube. That works fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back