Smoker Box and Wood Chips

Buckeye1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
I have a smoker box that I used to use on my gas grill years ago. I stopped using because it was a pain.But I still have a bunch of chips. Is there a way to incorporate it into cooks on the Rec Tec cooks.

Sure, just use it like you did before. I've used it. Just set it on the grates. I put it on the left side of the Bull since smoke exits on the right. Under the grates will work too if you have the room.

Where do you guys put the tube at, on the grates or under the drip tray?

Where do you guys put the tube at, on the grates or under the drip tray?
Good to know. I have lists of Apple chips from some trees we trimmed last summer. I’ll try those.
I just alternate 2-3 chips maybe every inch or so, but make sure you preburn the pellets to get them hit before puting in the smoker.
@Buckeye1 ...I put my on top of grates left side.

I just alternate 2-3 chips maybe every inch or so, but make sure you preburn the pellets to get them hit before puting in the smoker.
@Buckeye1 ...I put my on top of grates left side.
When I started I thought it went under the drip tray. Did one smoke like that. Now I use it, space permitting, on the top rack so I can see how it’s doing. Go for the top rack.

Good timing for this. I ordered mesquite chunks from Amazon (weber brand) and when i got them they were more like chips or even mulch versus chunks. So, i was just wondering to myself how to use those. Do any of you actually burn them in the Rec Tec? Use a box and burn them? Or only soak and use heat to make them smoke? Sorry if this is a dumb question. In my old gas grill i used to soak these and then put them in a box and they would smoke but not burn. How is the right way to do this?

Good timing for this. I ordered mesquite chunks from Amazon (weber brand) and when i got them they were more like chips or even mulch versus chunks. So, i was just wondering to myself how to use those. Do any of you actually burn them in the Rec Tec? Use a box and burn them? Or only soak and use heat to make them smoke? Sorry if this is a dumb question. In my old gas grill i used to soak these and then put them in a box and they would smoke but not burn. How is the right way to do this?
With the pellets, I light them and let them burn for a few min and then blow them out. They continue to smoke. I wouldn’t soak the chips and do the same as the pellets. Keep an eye on it. Do it on top of grates so you can see it.

Reading my post it might be confusing. I have a weber kettle too. the chunks were purchased for that. When i received the mesquite chunks from Amazon (Weber brand) they were not chunks. they were just dust, long stringy pieces and a few chips. Less than 25% of the bag was a "chunk" i can use on weber. So, i was asking how to be creative with the garbage pieces left.

I don't think the pellet smolder technique will work. I could be wrong. I was thinking of buying a smoker box that was rated for burning and putting some in for each mequite cook and buring them right on the rack for added smoke while using RecTec. But the more i have thought about it, i am afraid it will screw up my temps. So, will probably just burn them on the weber. or even just throw them on my fire pit for nice aroma for family fires. What a waste! Never again will i order something like that on-line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back