Wood chips - Where are you getting them?

Like a couple of others, I make most of my own wood chips. We have several fruit trees (apple, peach and cherry) that I prune annually and save the larger pieces. My bandsaw turns them into small bocks which I hand split down to chips. A neighbor recently cut down a very old apple tree and I was able to obtain several large chunks that will likely keep me in apple chips for several years.

As has also been said, Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, restaurant supply operations and other retail stores carry wood chips. Amazon may be convenient, but it is not always (or, usually) the cheapest option.

As an aside, I find the discussions about the lack of smoke from pellet grills to be amusing. Just like salt, pepper, garlic, etc., smoke is a seasoning. Some people like a lot, others just want a little. For those who want an overwhelming amount of smoke seasoning, a pellet grill is simply the wrong tool as is a small salt/pepper shaker for people who like copious amounts of those seasonings.

When I cook protein, I want it to be the star of the show and use seasonings (including smoke) at a level that brings out its natural flavor. YMMV!

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but I have found that Amazon has gotten (in some cases) to be ridiculously expensive. I've just branched out into Sausage/Brat making and I was looking at HiMountain kits. Amazon was exactly double the cost, compared to buying from HiMountain directly.

More and more, I'm price checking Amazon.

Slightly off topic, but I have found that Amazon has gotten (in some cases) to be ridiculously expensive. I've just branched out into Sausage/Brat making and I was looking at HiMountain kits. Amazon was exactly double the cost, compared to buying from HiMountain directly.

More and more, I'm price checking Amazon.
I've been doing that for years. They are great for gadgets and cables but your everyday household goods
are normally more. I do like that they seem to keep tabs on what places like Walmart and Target are selling things and will sometimes lower their price. The main problem is a lot of times the item isn't actually sold by Amazon so those people up the price to make up for all the extra charges that Amazon is going to charge them for the sale.

Just recently I was able to get 40/lb bags of bear mountain pellets from Amazon for $19 delivered. It was a one day sell (maybe less) and I just happened upon it by accident.

Where are you buying wood chips from? Amazon seem $$$ for small packages.

Has anyone used https://www.smokinlicious.com/wood-chips.html
Not sure where you are in DFW, but if you have a Atwoods near by, they have wood chips and they also have Lumber Jack pellets for $8.99, which is a fairly good price. They will run them on sale for $6.99 sometimes. I haven't seen that price recently so not sure if they will go that low again.

There are also a few locally owned BBQ stores around and they normally have a great selection of seasonings/rubs, especially from the local guys like MeatChurch and Sucklebusters.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back