Bull Wonky tires and wheels

westexaslim

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I don’t move the bull much. But he is getting more unstable with each move. One time I tightened all the bolts and it helped.none loose now. I fear we are gonna take a tumble.. anyone have a relatively easy fix? I do have the extra smoke box. Any ideas would be welcomed..

Slim

I would bet that your Wheels are covered, since RecTec says "The RT-700 comes with a 6-year bumper-to-bumper warranty"
If your Grill is over 6 yrs old, then buying replacement (heavier duty) Wheels and Casters from (say) Home Depot or Lowe's would be easy enough

I would suggest you contact RT and tell them your experience. They need feedback like that if they have a brewing problem that needs to be resolved for both them and their customers.
Thanks Uncle Bob, I did just that. Seems that has been a problem for others also.

I would bet that your Wheels are covered, since RecTec says "The RT-700 comes with a 6-year bumper-to-bumper warranty"
If your Grill is over 6 yrs old, then buying replacement (heavier duty) Wheels and Casters from (say) Home Depot or Lowe's would be easy enough
It is surprising to me that such a good piece of equipment has such poorly thought out wheels.

That's whats happening to mine. They are sending me a new pair free. However, they are the same kind I have now. That will help until I find a better fix.
A couple of other threads have the link to what I ordered from Amazon for replacements, if that helps.

I only move mine in and out of the garage. If you saw how badly my stock casters failed, you'd think I was jumping it like Dukes of Hazzard...

Last edited:
A couple of other threads have the link to what I ordered from Amazon for replacements, if that helps.

I only move mine in and out of the garage. If you saw how badly my stock casters failed, you'd think I was jumping it like Duke of Hazzard...
Same here. Had to manhandle mine back in garage when caster failed. I will get me some backups from Amazon. Thank you.

It is surprising to me that such a good piece of equipment has such poorly thought out wheels.
Maybe RecTec didn't take into consideration the different types of surface their Grill would be rolled on
I think if our's go out, and RecTec hasn't made a significant improvement in this area, I'll eat the cost and get what is commercially available in a heavier Wheel and Caster .... done and done

2A2D6382-A0DA-4C86-921C-5D0597D8D85B.jpeg
FA245DD0-0A33-45E7-BD77-8966BBAF3BED.jpeg
8963FC05-B0B6-40F4-9422-79674533B6A8.jpeg
B297EAE5-1498-49DE-834B-AD08426BC85F.jpeg
42134229-7D95-49A4-8F4C-00292960F21A.jpeg

Anyone determine the exact cause of this issue? Is it just cheap casters that bend from the weight of the grill when its moved? My Bull is stored in my garage. I wheel it out every time I use it. Started having problems with the one caster about a month ago. Starting to look like the one in the Rec-Tec photo that was posted. Haven't found any bearings yet but I'm sure its missing a few.

I had the same issue with a big propane gill that I used to have. I replaced the casters with something I found at Lowes. Same thing happened again. Also noticed once the casters didn't rotate properly that the stud started working its way out of the leg. Then the stud bent.

Are the Steelex casters that people have used holding up better? I'd rather get a good caster than another set of cheap ones from Rec-Tec.

Anyone determine the exact cause of this issue? Is it just cheap casters that bend from the weight of the grill when its moved? My Bull is stored in my garage. I wheel it out every time I use it. Started having problems with the one caster about a month ago. Starting to look like the one in the Rec-Tec photo that was posted. Haven't found any bearings yet but I'm sure its missing a few.

I had the same issue with a big propane gill that I used to have. I replaced the casters with something I found at Lowes. Same thing happened again. Also noticed once the casters didn't rotate properly that the stud started working its way out of the leg. Then the stud bent.

Are the Steelex casters that people have used holding up better? I'd rather get a good caster than another set of cheap ones from Rec-Tec.
IMO, the Steelex swivel casters are better than the OEM ones from RT (certainly better than mine which failed despite trying to be careful going in & out of the garage).

I'd also suggest going up in weight rating. Remember they need to support the RT-700 plus pellets, accessories, whatever's stored on the bottom shelf, etc. If there's a bump going between garage and driveway, that will add stress. Keep in mind that a higher weight capacity might also mean a larger caster, which could raise that end of the grill. So it could impact drainage.

I bought the Steelex D2616 4-Inch 275-Pound casters. Their locking mechanism doesn't feel quite as good as RT's -- but that's irrelevant when the rest of the caster is broken. Whatever caster you choose, you want to buy with M12 threads.

IMO, the Steelex swivel casters are better than the OEM ones from RT (certainly better than mine which failed despite trying to be careful going in & out of the garage).

I'd also suggest going up in weight rating. Remember they need to support the RT-700 plus pellets, accessories, whatever's stored on the bottom shelf, etc. If there's a bump going between garage and driveway, that will add stress. Keep in mind that a higher weight capacity might also mean a larger caster, which could raise that end of the grill. So it could impact drainage.

I bought the Steelex D2616 4-Inch 275-Pound casters. Their locking mechanism doesn't feel quite as good as RT's -- but that's irrelevant when the rest of the caster is broken. Whatever caster you choose, you want to buy with M12 threads.
Thanks @mooncusser2k . I ordered two of the Steelex casters. Did the 4" caster change the "stance" of the grill? I was just thinking about that this morning and wondering if the new casters would raise or lower that end of the grill.

Thanks @mooncusser2k . I ordered two of the Steelex casters. Did the 4" caster change the "stance" of the grill? I was just thinking about that this morning and wondering if the new casters would raise or lower that end of the grill.
I believe the OEM casters were 3", so there's a slight difference but I don't think it's really noticeable. (Doesn't look like it's going uphill.)

You'll want to pay attention to what it means for your grease drainage. You may want to use a level to check how it sits with the new casters in your location.

I use my grill in the driveway, which isn't level. From day 1 with the OEM casters, the right side was high enough that drainage could be slow. The slight change with the 4" casters made the drain pan almost level if I "parked" in my usual spot. Easy options to address that can involve changing where/how you setup or put something under the fixed wheels (eg, wood blocks) to raise the left side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back