Bull Found the Problem with the Castor Wheels on RT-700

BugEater Keven

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Most likely others on this forum are aware of this, but after having replaced one of the wheels on my RT-700 because it was "bent", I realized the other day I am seeing a similar situation with the new replacement wheel. Then I remembered finding some strange small BB like looking balls on my garage floor... Bingo, the sideways pressure on the stem castors is opening up the ball bearing housing of the castor just enough to allow ball bearings to come out. This leads to a "leaning" effect on the castors when observed from a low angle.

In other words, the castors provided with the RT-700 aren't able to bear the combination of weight and sideways movement required to "spin" the castor on it's vertical axis. At least in my case that is proving to be true. Since I suspect, if I obtain another replacement castor from Recteq it will just do the same thing, I've been looking for a hefty enough replacement castor. If anyone knows of a castor with enough strength to handle the aforementioned stress please let me know.

Here are the specs on these castors:
Type: Threaded Stem Castor
Stem Length: 1.5"
Stem Width: .5"
Wheel Diameter: 3"
Total Height: 4" (From bottom of wheel to the base of the castor stem)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
P.S. I do not want to retrofit the entire wheel assemblies as mentioned in other threads - I just want an easy castor replacement if possible)

Most likely others on this forum are aware of this, but after having replaced one of the wheels on my RT-700 because it was "bent", I realized the other day I am seeing a similar situation with the new replacement wheel. Then I remembered finding some strange small BB like looking balls on my garage floor... Bingo, the sideways pressure on the stem castors is opening up the ball bearing housing of the castor just enough to allow ball bearings to come out. This leads to a "leaning" effect on the castors when observed from a low angle.

In other words, the castors provided with the RT-700 aren't able to bear the combination of weight and sideways movement required to "spin" the castor on it's vertical axis. At least in my case that is proving to be true. Since I suspect, if I obtain another replacement castor from Recteq it will just do the same thing, I've been looking for a hefty enough replacement castor. If anyone knows of a castor with enough strength to handle the aforementioned stress please let me know.

P.S. I do not want to retrofit the entire wheel assemblies as mentioned in other threads - I just want an easy castor replacement if possible)
You really need to accurately identify the "stem" or stud thread size. I'm betting it's a metric thread, probably 12mm, but you also need the thread pitch to buy a caster that would fit.

That's the $hit!

Exact same thing happened to mine, damn thing hasn’t rolled maybe 100 yards, total, on concrete. On my second set, now, they were quick to send me new ones FOC.
And, the rubber/plastic wheels develop flat spots on them, from sitting, very poor choice by designers.
They really should offer an upgrade kit (not a $400 comp cart), but, that would mean they acknowledge faulty equipment, not likely to happen.
Love my grill, hate the wheels…

Call Service Caster (800) 215-8220 and upgrade to a better caster. They are very helpful.
1679751212417.jpeg

1679751278169.jpeg

Correction to my earlier post. The width of the steps on the casters is 3/8", not 1/2". I didn't realize this until I received the new ones and attempted to put them on. Measuring mistake on my part.

I had to re-order the casters since the first set had 1/2" stems instead of the 3/8" stems. So the new ones I ordered aren't as heavy duty as the first set I ordered. The good news is, they were significantly cheaper.

I will post an update once they arrive and I know how well they hold up compared to the ones Recteq provided. In any case, here are my replacement casters:

www.casterhq.com
Code: TP3030-23-MIR-TLB
Description:
3" Locking Stem Caster | Non-Marking Thermo Rubber Wheel | Threaded Stem 3/8"-16 x 1" | 100 lbs Capacity each
[STEM SIZES:3/8"-16 x 1"]

Price was $4.99 each plus $20.03 shipping Total: $30.01

Well Guys, these aren't the right size either. So please don't order them. So the 1/2' threaded stems were too wide, and the 3/8" stems are too narrow. I think I have no other choice than to try to find a local supplier where I can actually bring the bad casters in and actually make sure they match. I will update this thread once I know the TRUE width.

Well Guys, these aren't the right size either. So please don't order them. So the 1/2' threaded stems were too wide, and the 3/8" stems are too narrow. I think I have no other choice than to try to find a local supplier where I can actually bring the bad casters in and actually make sure they match. I will update this thread once I know the TRUE width.
I think they're metric

Have you tried M12x1.75 Metric? Most Chinese-made stuff uses Metric fasteners. Maybe these: https://www.amazon.com/DICASAL-Casters-M12-1-75-Locking-Capacity/dp/B08B1JPLZM?th=1?

Last edited:
3/8" is 9.5 mm so probably 10 or 11 mm.

@Jim6820 is correct. They are M12x1.75
I am building a prep cart using the 700 base. I replaced the casters with 5" M12x1.75 metric heavy duty casters. Fits perfectly.

5" would be too large for your application but the point is that the threads are metric and not SAE.

Understood. Thanks all for your feedback and assistance. I contacted Reqteq support and the bottom line is, their solution is to replace my substandard quality Reqtec casters with two more substandard quality Reqtec casters.

Although they were apologetic and promptly sent out the replacements, this leaves me with a lowered opinion of Recteq quality to the point where, I will no longer recommend the brand to others. This is simply a weakness of the product which could easily be remedied by the company by offering affordable, better quality replacments for sale. Or better yet, provide them free of charge to replace the bad ones they put on the RT-700.

It doesn't make sense that a gently used RT-700 always rolled a short distance on concrete should have multiple caster failures. I am 62 years old and always move it carefully trying to avoid additional caster failures. But they still happen. Am I the only one with this problem?

Understood. Thanks all for your feedback and assistance. I contacted Reqteq support and the bottom line is, their solution is to replace my substandard quality Reqtec casters with two more substandard quality Reqtec casters.

Although they were apologetic and promptly sent out the replacements, this leaves me with a lowered opinion of Recteq quality to the point where, I will no longer recommend the brand to others. This is simply a weakness of the product which could easily be remedied by the company by offering affordable, better quality replacments for sale. Or better yet, provide them free of charge to replace the bad ones they put on the RT-700.

It doesn't make sense that a gently used RT-700 always rolled a short distance on concrete should have multiple caster failures. I am 62 years old and always move it carefully trying to avoid additional caster failures. But they still happen. Am I the only one with this problem?
I had the same problem with my 1250. I agree that you should be able to order upgraded wheels/casters without spending $400 for a competition cart. It should be like $50-100 to upgrade the caster sizes as well as better quality ones. I'm looking into upgrading mine as well once all the snow and ice is gone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back