Bull Who cooked a 17lb pork shoulder from SRF? What was your experience?

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello, I just got 2 shoulders from SRF. I'm just trying to get an idea what to expect as far as defrost time and cook time. SNR said 6 hours per LB to defrost in refrigerator and 7 hours total to cook at 225 to an internal of 200 lmao. I know the cook time is wrong but I thought it was funny they said that to me.

Anyway, were your defrost times similar?How long did yours cook for? I know rule of thumb is 2hrs per Lb, but just curious what everyone else experienced as far as time because I want to time it right within 4hours so I can hold.
If you don't mind, post your cook temp, internal temp, wrapped or naked, mopped or not, held? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't know what SNR is. Here's some timing from my last cook, very similar sizes to your question.

=====

Two packages 9lb and 8.5lb, bone in

Start smoker at 225F
Meat on at 11:15pm

7:40am
put probes in
IT reads 151F to 156F with Thermopen

10:20am
• Put both in foil pan
• Added apple juice in pan
• Covered tightly with AL foil

1:45p
• Pulled out, wrapped in cooler
• Thermopen matched probes 197-204F

4:30pm
• Pulled from cooler and shredded

I meant SRF lol. Snake River Farms. Thank you. I guess the 2hrs/Lb is about accurate with the cooler.

I just smoked two pork boneless pork shoulders on my RT-700 that totaled a little over 16 pounds. I rinsed and dried them, rubbed down with yellow mustard and added rub (Heffer Dust and Honey Rib Rub). I placed both shoulders in a large aluminum pan with a small rack on the bottom to allow for air/smoke circulation, and smoked at 225. After 28 1/2 hours, one was at 205 and the other at 200 degrees. I'm in the outskirts of Phoenix (Gold Canyon), so cold temps did not impact smoking time. I removed the aluminum roaster pan and wrapped tightly in HD foil and allowed to rest for an hour and 15 minutes. Removed the foil and shredded. Came out great, although the combination of the two rubs made the pork a tad on the salty side. Might just go back to making up my own rub, or lighten up on the amount of rub.

Wow. Sounds like I'm in for at least a 30 hour cook. I just went to look at the weight on the package and one is 18.5Lb and the other 19.5Lb.

I had the same problem with ribs. I usually salt everything prior to cooking and when I used a store rub I forgot there was salt in it and they were a bit too salty. I feel the same way, next time I'll make my own.

To the people that like to cook there shoulders naked, do you "wrap" the meat after its done and let it sit? I've done this before and it came out good, but i felt this defeated the purpose of cooking naked, so I dont do it anymore? I notice the bark is not as crispy.

Anyone ever try cooling down naked vs wrapped? Whats your opinion, big difference?

Are you sure that those packages don't contain two shoulders? If not, that must have been some really healthy hogs.
The SRF shoulders are a unique cut, including the butt, picnic ham, collar, and the shank. It‘s a big cut, resembles a full ham.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back