Which RecTeq; RT1050 or RT1250

Marshall

Military Veteran
I am familiar with the differences between the 1070 and the 1250. I'm just trying to decide which one I "trust". The 1250 is based on a design that has been out for years and is what made RecTeq famous. The 1070 (i would get the one with the stand) has some newer design features that haven't been around long enough to be thoroughly vetted.

So if money wasn't a constraint which would you buy and why?

My consideration points:

I like the smoke stack better than the rear vents.
I'm not sure about the removable grease tray in the 1070. I think the pail off the side is a proven method and people know how to compensate for problems with it.
The pellet hopper in the front on the 1070 doesn't make much difference to me though it is smaller than the rear hoper on the 1250.
The integrated hopper/shelf on the 1070 has some problems with the lid/shelf warping. I'm also wondering if it will get in the way when dealing with the protein on the grates.
I think I would like the folding shelf on the 1250 better as I can move it out of the way when I'm not using the shelf.
Both grills have two shelves which is a feature that I want.

Again, I would like your thoughts.

Last edited:
I am going to guess you mean 1070 rather than 1050.....

My 590 has vents at top/rear. Have not had a problem at all with that type venting....it's been around a while. Can't help with any of your other concerns.

I am going to guess you mean 1070 rather than 1050.....

My 590 has vents at top/rear. Have not had a problem at all with that type venting....it's been around a while. Can't help with any of your other concerns.
Yes. Thanks for catching that. I have corrected my original post.

Also thanks for your observations on the rear vents. In reading the forum posts on the 1070 there were several mentions of the vents getting clogged with grease and causing the 1070 to vent smoke up through the pellet hopper. So I had my doubts about the rear vents.

My buddy has a chuckwagon, 380x, 340 and a 1070. Loves them all but the 1070… hes not sure if he’s just got a lemon or just because he got one of the first models. He’s still on the fence about it. He’s had auger jams. Take that for what it’s worth.

Ive had a 590(no problems) and upgraded to a 1250 and was the best decision I ever made. Also have a 380x.

IMHO for $120 get the bigger grill. The only real negative I can see going with the 1250 is that the wheels suck. If you aren’t going to move the grill around a lot that shouldn’t be an issue. I have the competition cart on my 700 so no issues here but that adds $$$ to the price making it a tougher decision.

I would go with the 1250. I have the 700 which is basically the same grill.

While no experience, I've heard what you have heard. I think the vents take more maintanence. I do have a Bullseye with the vents and I know from experience if it rains really hard, water can be in through the vents without a cover on. I've made that mistake a few times. Thankfully never had a really bad auger jam because I caughter it before the pellets turned into cement like. I've seen on other forums people have had this issue with the grill.

I do like the design of the 1070 but also heard what you have heard which would concern me.

I don't even really ever cover my Bull though that is because the cover is a pain in the ass. I've been meaning to take a replacement cover i got with a zipper I purchased to get installed.

While I do love the new features of the 1070, I would go with the 1250 no doubt.

I think my main consideration would be what size grill would meet my needs. As for the stack vs rear vent, I much prefer the rear vents as I think they provide a more even smoke flow and temperature control.

If I were buying a new RT grill, it wouldn’t be either one; I’d opt for the 590 as I think it is the only grill in the lineup that is really well-tested. YMMV

I'm interested in this comparison also. I like the classic barrel smoker looks of the 1250, but the narrower shape of the 1070 will fit my available space better. So far, it sounds like the only real difference between the two is the cooking area (I'm fine with the slightly smaller area) and the vents. Look forward to hearing more.

I’m curious why folks think the 590 is better tested than the 700. I’ve seen that claim made several times on this forum. The 680, predecessor to the 700, was the original grill the company made and is their flagship grill so I don’t see how the 590 could be the only grill really well tested.
While I think the 590 is an awesome grill I think it is misleading to folks trying to make a decision on which grill to buy to make it sound as though it is somehow superior to a 700 (or 1250).

My opinion—and, it is only an opinion—is that I’ve heard fewer complaints regarding the 590 than any other RT grill, though the 340 doesn’t get many complaints except for its small size. YMMV
Might also have something to do with what has been the flagship/best selling grill in the recteq lineup. Less sales, fewer complaints. Taking nothing away from the 590, as I too believe it is a stellar grill. Even though I’ve never cooked on one.

I think my main consideration would be what size grill would meet my needs. As for the stack vs rear vent, I much prefer the rear vents as I think they provide a more even smoke flow and temperature control.

If I were buying a new RT grill, it wouldn’t be either one; I’d opt for the 590 as I think it is the only grill in the lineup that is really well-tested. YMMV
I could be happy with the 590 if it had a second shelf. That is an important feature for me and by the time I added the shelf as well as the folding shelf I'm pushing the cost up close to the 1250. And the second shelf in the 590 will be space constrained.

Between here and the FB group I have seen a bunch of issues about the 1070 taking in water, and having a lot of issues with lid warping from heat.

The 1250 has its issues off the line, but most can be remedied by the user. I don't think the same is true for the 1070.

100% total bias on my part. I came from a stick burner that I ultimately gave away as nursing a fire for long cooks lost its charm. Since I came from a stick burner, I wanted something with a barrel and a smokestack. Is the 590/1070 design functional or even better at more even cooking? Maybe. For long cooks I know everything evens out so I chose based upon "curb appeal". I have not been disappointed so far.

I could see the 1070 working well and looking good in a covered outdoor kitchen with other stainless steel doodads. I'm a simple guy with my tools/toys all lined up on the side of my house with aspirations of building a real outdoor kitchen some day. Presently my disposable income is used up on other tools/toys, grandsons, and paying excessive amounts for various forms of energy (FJB).

IMHO for $120 get the bigger grill. The only real negative I can see going with the 1250 is that the wheels suck. If you aren’t going to move the grill around a lot that shouldn’t be an issue. I have the competition cart on my 700 so no issues here but that adds $$$ to the price making it a tougher decision.

+1 - more grilling surface area FTW.

I went through the same debate earlier this year. Ended up going with the 1250 and have no regrets.

Agree that the wheels are not the greatest and I really do not like the bull horn handles either, especially when deploying or removing the cover.

I could be happy with the 590 if it had a second shelf. That is an important feature for me and by the time I added the shelf as well as the folding shelf I'm pushing the cost up close to the 1250. And the second shelf in the 590 will be space constrained.
You must cook for alot of people regularly or perhaps just in mass quantities? I have yet to find any space limitations on my 590, I for one have zero regrets in the model I went with. My buddy has the 1250 and loves it, but he admits that his old Stampede was plenty for him and now uses it at their camp cabin. There are also cheaper shelf/rack options out there, have you priced any of them?

Having a 1250, the second shelf is pretty useless unless you are cooking shorter meats. You can't really fit in the second shelf with a proper sized brisket or butt/shoulder down below and they certainly don't have the clearance to go up top.

It's great for ribs, wings and veggies and that's about it. I guess fish.

I have a 380x and 1250 with comp cart and smoke box. I love the 1250 but the second rack is useless. There simply is not enough height to put a brisket on it. I wanted it raised so I could put a a water pan underneath for a thermo sink. The second rack is fine for wings and ribs but not for taller meat. Next year I will buy the 2500 just so I can use the middle rack for briskets with water pans underneath. Not sure what I will do with my other grills at that time as my patio will be all grills with no seating area :)

100% total bias on my part. I came from a stick burner that I ultimately gave away as nursing a fire for long cooks lost its charm. Since I came from a stick burner, I wanted something with a barrel and a smokestack. Is the 590/1070 design functional or even better at more even cooking? Maybe. For long cooks I know everything evens out so I chose based upon "curb appeal". I have not been disappointed so far.

I could see the 1070 working well and looking good in a covered outdoor kitchen with other stainless steel doodads. I'm a simple guy with my tools/toys all lined up on the side of my house with aspirations of building a real outdoor kitchen some day. Presently my disposable income is used up on other tools/toys, grandsons, and paying excessive amounts for various forms of energy (FJB).
"excessive amounts for various forms of energy (FJB)." So true!!!

I was interested in the RT-1070, size was fine with me and liked the idea of the hopper up front and being able to use as a shelf to put my food tray on. I'm close by and drove to the store to look at the RT-1070 and right off the bat I noticed that you really can't use the pellet cover in front as a shelf due to the horns on the grill lid. Another note, sales person also stated using the pellet lid as a shelf to place your food on is really not a good idea because it gets really hot. Guess if you always made sure to place metal only items on it then you're ok. Wound up buying the RT-1250 because I wanted the updated easy fold front shelf and it was on sale as well.

Agree with Nerdygrrl on the second level grill rack.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back