When to Pull a Brisket?

BigDog

Ok, I have watched too many YouTube Brisket videos and need some help. I understand the cook temperatures and when to wrap but none of these videos detail when to pull it from the smoker. I gather it is some place between 195F and 205F but where are taking the temperature in the flat or the point or both? Also everyone says when the probe goes in like butter but is that in the flat or the point or both. My second Brisket was pulled at 205F everything was probe tender but the flat was too dry and I felt the point was under done.

THANKS
RecTeq 590

With a "normal" brisket (if there is such a thing), where the point and the flat aren't wildly different thicknesses, I find after wrapping the temps between the point and the flat balance out within a few degrees if I did a decent job wrapping.

I've cooked a few briskets where the flat is really thin or the meat just wasn't that great, where trying to get everything cooked evenly is a challenge.

I try to keep my cooks fun and not work so I usually start poking around when the flat is at 203. There's no magic to that number other than it's worked more often than not. I find that if I pull when the flat is around 203 and probe tender, a good long rest for at least a couple hours or preferably longer takes care of everything.

I find that if I pull when the flat is around 203 and probe tender, a good long rest for at least a couple hours or preferably longer takes care of everything.
As usual, @Pacman is right on the money! I will say that I start probing when the point hits 195F or so and pull as soon as I get a butter-smooth probe.

Resting is the secret. I prefer to rest my brisket for at least a couple of hours and, preferably, for 3-4 hours before slicing. As @Pacman said, resting usually “takes care of everything.” Getting in a hurry to slice as soon as the brisket is pulled is a big mistake IMO.

EDIT: Oh, and his point about finding a brisket where the point and flat aren’t “wildly different thicknesses” is also spot on. A good brisket cook starts with meat selection.

I have trouble getting the point and flat done at the same time if cooking a whole packer so I split the 2 and cook each till probe tender all over. i Inject the flat to keep it from drying out, some baste in previously rendered fat. When I buy a full packer I find it difficult to tell A good one from one that is not, hard to see much when cryovaced.

Ok, I have watched too many YouTube Brisket videos and need some help. I understand the cook temperatures and when to wrap but none of these videos detail when to pull it from the smoker. I gather it is some place between 195F and 205F but where are taking the temperature in the flat or the point or both? Also everyone says when the probe goes in like butter but is that in the flat or the point or both. My second Brisket was pulled at 205F everything was probe tender but the flat was too dry and I felt the point was under done.

THANKS
RecTeq 590
Try injecting wagyu tallow in your next one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back