Bullseye Should I pull the trigger

bumpandrun

I'm reading a lot of reviews with complaints about the temp control for low and slow cooking on the B380. It's not something I do a lot, but I would want to be able to make a really good brisket once in a while. I really can't see spending $900 on a grill (I live alone and occasionally my mother stays a few months with me). I mainly do pork chops, chicken breasts and steaks, but like I said, would like to be able to smoke a brisket occasionally. Is this the grill for me? I have a good friend who swears by his 590 (has a larger family) and really has me wanting a recteq, but he does a lot of low slow cooks on his and it's made me want to do some as well.

Thanks for any advice!

I'm reading a lot of reviews with complaints about the temp control for low and slow cooking on the B380. It's not something I do a lot, but I would want to be able to make a really good brisket once in a while. I really can't see spending $900 on a grill (I live alone and occasionally my mother stays a few months with me). I mainly do pork chops, chicken breasts and steaks, but like I said, would like to be able to smoke a brisket occasionally. Is this the grill for me? I have a good friend who swears by his 590 (has a larger family) and really has me wanting a recteq, but he does a lot of low slow cooks on his and it's made me want to do some as well.

Thanks for any advice!
IMHO I'd go with the 590 and Grill Grates.

You might look at the 340 if it is usually just one or two you are cooking for. It’s small and lighter than the other grills but can still cook a brisket. From what some of the other users have said it heats up fairly quick and does a good job on hot cooks. Hopefully someone with a 340 will chime in. Probably best to get GrillGrates for searing chops and steaks.

It looks like Rec Tec is only giving the option to purchase with a pellet bundle on their website which increases the price to over $800. You may be able to call and order through customer service to see if you can just get the grill If you don’t want/need the pellets.

This. I (generally) love my 380 as my main want was a high heat pellet grill, but am frustrated by it when doing low & slow cooks and how closely I have to watch it.
I've done it and don't trust it.

Thanks for any advice!
I bought a Bulls-Eye, because I wanted something from Rec-Teq, and also wanted to experiment with a pellet grill, but wanted something better than something from Wal-Mart or Target. I've been happy with my Bulls-Eye. You have to understand that a Bulls-Eye is like a Weber 22" grill that uses pellets. Everyone here will tell you that no one has ever said "I wish I had a smaller grill". That being said, based upon what you have stated above, I would think that you could live with a 340 or a Bulls-Eye. The selling point to the 340, or any other grill, other than the Bulls-Eye, is the Wi-Fi capability. The 590 is what I am going to graduate to, and I think you would be happy with any of them.

I am single and live alone and have the 700. No one has ever complained about having too much grill space. My recommendation would be to determine what size you think you need and go one size up. There is nothing more frustrating than having a whole plan together and then your equipment not being adequate to accomdate. As far as the price tag goes, its steep. But keep in mind buy once cry once. If you go another brand but half the price over time youll end up spending more than you would have if you just went with the 590 from the start. Once you have it you wont regret the purchase!

Ive also had 3 different smokers in the last 1.5 years because of either performance/reliability and size issues so I am somewhat biased, but do yourself a favor and buy more than you need the first time as to avoid having to upgrade several times.

the RT-340 is perfect for a single person, small family or small space. Not sure why they insist selling it only as a bundle now. Maybe shipping kills them for that one and they need to recoup some money. I dont know. But 220LBs is a lot of pellets for that thing. 40lbs lasts me quite a while.

I would for sure recommend a Bullseye. I have not cooked any L/S on mine, but for the other meats you mentioned it is great for those. One of the things I really like about the Bullseye is the ability to place wood chunks over the perforated holes of the deflector plate to create whatever smoke flavor I desire. This works really well. I have the OG Bullseye with the single knob control (no display). The new controller may aid in a L/S brisket cooks. I really don't know. If I wanted to cook a brisket on my OG single knob controller, I am sure I could, but may have to sleep with it. I use my RT-700 for L/S cooks.

Remember, the bullseye is a grill, while it gets most of my cooking attention, I have a Bull for large low slow cooks and a trailblazer for small low slow cooks.
They are smokers. Now you can watch for the RECTEQ Academy classes and get a used Trailblazer for about half price after it is over in most cases if you are close enough to drive to the headquarters.

You can set the min auger speed to 30 to help get lower temps. My bullseye beta will do 180 degrees to 749 degrees. I dont smoke brisket on it, the smokers are made for that. Push a button turn a knob and it will call you when it is done.

🙂
Good luck,

I wanted one pellet smoker grill and went with the Bullseye 380. I haven't been disappointed at all. Although other smokers are better at certain things and cooks, I feel I can do almost anything on my 380. Only thing I can't do is indirect heat and with moving or flipping the heat deflector I can make hot and cold spots in my smoker/grill. Changing pellets will change the low temp a small bit. I cooked short ribs last night on low setting/ 195* F for 9hrs. and they turned out like meat candy. Don't lift the hood up much and the temp has stayed at my desired temp always. If the hood is up the temp sensor cools and says "send more pellets" then you shut the hood and the extra pellets have to burn therefore you end up with a temp spike. Love that I can go from 200* to 740* on one machine.
RecTeq probably has better ones, I haven't tried them but if I had to do it again I'd buy the Bullseye 380 again. I did mount mine to a rolling toolbox to get more height, storage and stability, (The cart on the 380 is stabile, I just wanted more).🙂

I do slow cooks infrequently--the 380 can do them but I use mine 3-5 times per week for hot grilling. Got rid of the gas grill and use the 380 constantly. Best grill I've ever owned--it's a weber kettle without the mess

I have had my Bullseye for a little over a month and have done a couple spatchcock chickens and a chuck roast on low and slow. I have also done some high heat cooks for hamburgers and pork chops and a reversed seared ribeye. Last weekend we made the peach and blueberry cobbler listed on the website. They have all turned out great. After reading several posts here I turned the offset to 15 and I think that has helped a lot. Temps from the Bullseye are very close to the temps on my Thermo Pro. It's a lot better than trying to adjust my Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. After the offset the temperature swings have been within reason considering the fuel and how the temperature is being controlled. Based on my cooks so far I would pull the trigger.

Thanks for any advice!
I have the 590 and the 340. I bought the 340 first since I just have 2 in my household and it was GREAT. But when we have company over and I need to make 20 porkchops and some sides, I needed more space so I got the 590 to go with it. The 340 can do anything the bigger ones can do, it's just smaller. I highly recommend it. I don't have the Bullseye, but I know several that like it. It'll cook a brisket, but not as well as the 340 from what I've heard. I recommend the 340 for your case.

I have the 340 and 380 which gives me best of both worlds. Hit and fast and and low and slow machine with WiFi. I think the WiFi control and monitoring for low and slow is a must for me. (Even with some of the notification issues). if I don't have enough room on the 340 I can fire up the Bullseye, which has only been once. Like mentioned above the 340 heats up fast and I have gotten it over 600.

If I could only have one it would be the 340 with grill grates.

You might look at the 340 if it is usually just one or two you are cooking for. It’s small and lighter than the other grills but can still cook a brisket. From what some of the other users have said it heats up fairly quick and does a good job on hot cooks. Hopefully someone with a 340 will chime in. Probably best to get GrillGrates for searing chops and steaks.

It looks like Rec Tec is only giving the option to purchase with a pellet bundle on their website which increases the price to over $800. You may be able to call and order through customer service to see if you can just get the grill If you don’t want/need the pellets.
Spot on. You'll burn through the pellets faster than you think because you will want to cook on it every day. I have found that it is very efficient with pellet usage. I store mine in the garage and it is real easy to move around it space is an issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back