Well, I had my first one yesterday

Randy720

Grill(s) owned
  1. Patio Legend 410
Okay RecTeq nation, I could use a little help. While cooking some salmon yesterday I experienced my first “lid pop” or explosion. Still unsure what caused this, maybe I had pellets bridging over the auger or possibly damp pellets. Seems like everything was fine after the episode and the Flagship ran normally. After the cook was completed I vacuumed the ash out of the fire pot and the area around it. Also emptied the hopper and vacuumed that area too. Going forward I will probably do this after every cook, put a handful of pellets in the fire pot before firing it up, start the grill up with the lid open, close the lid when everything appears normal with the auger and fan both functioning, let the temperature come up to 180-200 then hold there or increase to whatever that day’s temperature requires.
Am I missing something or overreacting on this? I just want to avoid this from happening again.
Thank you in advance RecTeq nation for all your insights and helpful advice.
I

Okay RecTeq nation, I could use a little help. While cooking some salmon yesterday I experienced my first “lid pop” or explosion. Still unsure what caused this, maybe I had pellets bridging over the auger or possibly damp pellets. Seems like everything was fine after the episode and the Flagship ran normally. After the cook was completed I vacuumed the ash out of the fire pot and the area around it. Also emptied the hopper and vacuumed that area too. Going forward I will probably do this after every cook, put a handful of pellets in the fire pot before firing it up, start the grill up with the lid open, close the lid when everything appears normal with the auger and fan both functioning, let the temperature come up to 180-200 then hold there or increase to whatever that day’s temperature requires.
Am I missing something or overreacting on this? I just want to avoid this from happening again.
I
I have vacuumed my Bullseye before each cook since day one. It works better for me. I am usually too full & full of beer to vacuum after. I just wait till next use to do it.

First off, glad you are OK. I have never experienced one myself after lots of cooks on both my RT's. What you have described for your start up plan feels like a reasonable response to what happened. My guess is you may not see another one. I never used to open the lid on start up until I saw other posts here. Now I do. I also vacuum the fire pot frequently.

Had the grill stopped smoking (heavily) before you closed the lid?

Dirty ignition and too many pellets in the pot is the cause for this, I now start up at 235 degrees "with lid open". I have never had a pop but came close once, upon investigation I saw that the pot was full of pellets and many were smoldering badly "can't get air to them", and I am someone who cleans their ash out frequently. When you start at higher temps, it calls for more pellets.....start at a lower temp like 230/240 and then increase once hits that target temp. Also ensure your igniter is adjusted correctly, some are assembled too recessed from the factory. I also did this along with lower starting temp and lid open, now my grill ignites and comes to temp very quickly and cleanly.

Had the grill stopped smoking (heavily) before you closed the lid?
It wasn’t smoking all that much, but was struggling to get up to 425 degrees. That’s where I wanted to cook the salmon at.

Dirty ignition and too many pellets in the pot is the cause for this, I now start up at 235 degrees "with lid open". I have never had a pop but came close once, upon investigation I saw that the pot was full of pellets and many were smoldering badly "can't get air to them", and I am someone who cleans their ash out frequently. When you start at higher temps, it calls for more pellets.....start at a lower temp like 230/240 and then increase once hits that target temp. Also ensure your igniter is adjusted correctly, some are assembled too recessed from the factory. I also did this along with lower starting temp and lid open, now my grill ignites and comes to temp very quickly and cleanly.
I had an explosion on my RT1250 October 2023. Recteq service had me inspect my igniter. My unit was delivered new with the igniter recessed in by about 1/8". They had me adjust it flush.

Since this explosion, I vacuum clean the fire pot before each cook and prime it with a small handful of pellets. I typically start up the unit with setting at 180F (low) or 225F. I have not been doing open lid starts but will change.

Early April 2024, I had smoke in the hopper at startup (Cookin' Pellets PM40) and thought I was on my way for another explosion (I have had smoke in hopper before, but with Bear Mountain pellets which seemed soft, crumbly, and lot of dust). I found that my feed rate was set at 1% (not sure why, perhaps the software update that took out the remote start function?). Anyway I did a factory reset and it changed to 1.5% and no longer had smoke in the hopper. I have not cooked on it since as I have been playing with charcoal in my Weber Performer. When I had my explosion, the auger was set to "10" per my notes, so perhaps the software has changed now regarding feed rate (number then vs a percent now).

I have Lavalock seals on the lid, the smoke box door, but not on the hopper.

Last edited:
You really need to clean the fire pot before each cook. I make it a habit to vacuum the cook chamber, clean the fire pot, and ensure the drip pan is free of any standing grease. So far, no problems.

Not sure I agree with that, as I checked the build up of ash in the firepot after a 12 hour cook and there wasn't much in there. I clean out about twice a month "use my grill at least once a week but typically twice per week", and even then nothing is out of control or even bordering on being a potential problem. But there is little doubt that doing as you mentioned, can go a long way in avoiding issues......although perhaps a bit on the unnecessary side of things IMHO. :) I also have lavalock on the lid and the hopper, but I keep the hopper unlatched now as I find it unnecessary to do so since the seal is so good.

I know there are conflicting views on this. I only had the lid pop 1 time and it was when I started with the lid closed and the pellets did not catch fire until gases and smoke had already built up. I have since started with the lid open until I see the first smoke start rolling then close the lid. Since remote start is not supported anymore I really don't see a need to start with the lid closed.

In spite of someone pointing out to me that RT startup procedures say the lid can be closed, I have always started my wood pellet grills (over 15 years) with the lid open. I’ve never encountered “lid pop”.

I power on my pellet grill with the lid open and temp set to 200F. Within 3 - 4 minutes, a fairly heavy bluish smoke starts. It lasts for a minute or two. At that point, the smoke starts to subside and the noise from the firebox starts to sound more like a jet engine…on a low volume. At that point, I’m confident that my startup completed successfully. I then close the lid and set my grill temp to where I want to cook at. Once it’s at the desired temp, the meat goes on.

That’s how I’ve always done it. And I know others on this forum have other ways of doing it. And I respect whatever works for others. I have not ever had a lid pop so I kind of encourage others on what has worked for me.

I’m late to this discussion, but have been watching the thread for a while. I’ve had two RT-340s (recently sold one) for about four years and have always started them with the lid closed. Never had a lid pop. And, I’ve never noticed any “bluish” startup smoke. Maybe I have just not been paying attention.

I always start the grill at 250F regardless of what my cook temp will be. Then, I let it stabilize for about 20 minutes before dialing in the preferred cook temperature. I let the grill stabilize for another 10-15 minutes at cook temp before putting any protein on.

Not suggesting that my way is right; just adding another data ;point to the discussion. I have no idea why I haven’t experienced what others have.

@Jim6820 I’d be curious where your igniter sits in relation to the end of the tube. Is it even with the end of the tube? Slightly proud of it? My hypothesis is the way the igniter was installed has something to do with it. I’m sure there are other factors but after I adjusted my igniter rod I get quick start ups with a little to no white smoke. If you think about it would you take a photo next time you clean out the burn pot?

@Jim6820 I’d be curious where your igniter sits in relation to the end of the tube. Is it even with the end of the tube? Slightly proud of it? My hypothesis is the way the igniter was installed has something to do with it. I’m sure there are other factors but after I adjusted my igniter rod I get quick start ups with a little to no white smoke. If you think about it would you take a photo next time you clean out the burn pot?
I’m away from the house for a few days, but when I return I will check on the ignitor and take a photo. My recollection is that it is just slightly proud of the end of the tube.,

In spite of someone pointing out to me that RT startup procedures say the lid can be closed, I have always started my wood pellet grills (over 15 years) with the lid open. I’ve never encountered “lid pop”.

I power on my pellet grill with the lid open and temp set to 200F. Within 3 - 4 minutes, a fairly heavy bluish smoke starts. It lasts for a minute or two. At that point, the smoke starts to subside and the noise from the firebox starts to sound more like a jet engine…on a low volume. At that point, I’m confident that my startup completed successfully. I then close the lid and set my grill temp to where I want to cook at. Once it’s at the desired temp, the meat goes on.

That’s how I’ve always done it. And I know others on this forum have other ways of doing it. And I respect whatever works for others. I have not ever had a lid pop so I kind of encourage others on what has worked for me.
Thats exactly how i start mine...

I’m going to go out on a limb and ”hypothesize” (big word for me) that the physical structure of the various pellet grills and, mostly, how they vent, may be a factor in the “lid pop phenomenon”. I’m not sure I’ve heard of anyone without a smokestack like those on a 700, for example, experiencing a lid pop. That drives me to the opinion that the lid pop is the result of oxygen deprivation during that startup process…and more specifically at the moment the smoldering pellets turn to an actual flame…or moments thereafter stoked by the fan. My belief is that moment of combustion causes that lid pop. It’s analogous to a gas engine combustion/explosion that pushes away the piston and subsequently exhausts out the cylinder through an exhaust valve. At least that’s how I view it and thus my contention that an open lid doesn’t encounter that somewhat violent reaction…it’s vented well. So it may be the 340 or other styles of pellet grills may not/may never experience lid pop.

My brain hurts from all that thinking.

Please…no one take me too seriously. I’m bored on a Saturday afternoon. I should go buy some meat to put on my Bull.

I think @TheRicker may be onto something. My 340 and the 590 both have vents across the lid rather than a single smokestack. I think a couple of the newer RT grills may use the distributed vent system now as well, but not sure and too lazy to look.

I’ve long hypothesized (hey, I can use that “big word” too) that there’s a more even smoke distribution with that vent configuration. And, the folks at MAK Grills have mentioned that they use the distributed vent system on their grills.

It would be interesting to hear if any 340 or 590 users have experienced the “lid pop.”

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back