Strange Day Yesterday

JJP

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Comming home from church yesterday I stopped by Sam's to get some dog treats for the dog. Passed by the meat counter and picked up some baby back ribs. Got home and prepped the ribs. Got my phone app started and was shocked. I've been putting off updating to a newer app because of all the problems I read about. To my shock and surprise it opened to the latest android app. The server updated the app for me. That got me wondering what the hell kind of problems was I going to have. But the app worke just fine. I liked that I could type in the cooking temp, and the prob alarm temp. I was impressed. Not so much with the baby backs. It took 4 hours to reach 165 drgrees before I wrapped i foil wit brown sugar, honey and butter. Put the ribs back on for and hour, checked the temp with a hand held and it was only 175 degrees. Coocke on fro abot another hour. Unwrapped and cooked until internal temp was 200 degrees. They only came out so so. No smoke flavor. But they were eatable. It got me to thinking abot how I wrapped the grease pan. I used wade foil and just folded the excess under the pan. I think I need to trim the excess and keep the foil on top of the pan. I had the 340 running at 250 degrees the whole time until I was gettin hungry and bumped it 250 degrees.

-968003135_20220814_193750_4392621_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some of those two pack baby backs at Sam's but have yet to cook them. IIRC...about $2.xx /lb.
Never noticed any issue cooking on my 340 with the excess foil wrapped under the drip tray.

I've noticed Traeger offers aluminum drip tray pans. I wonder if any of those are a suitable size for a RT 340 ??

Just a thought to save some money. I used to use foil all the time but got tired of it. Now I use a scraper on my 1250 and 340 after it gets dirty. Saves money on foil so I can buy more meat. Save the foil for meat wrapping. Besides I always got grease under my foil anyway no matter what I tried.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back