Vac sealing newb question

Plumberguy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Very much appreciate the experience and tips from those here.

I want to purchase a vac sealer; never used one (I know). Any recs for a entry level vac sealer (but very good to high quality)? Bag recs appreciated as well.

Food saver devices and bags are the most popular. Cabelas also has some good devices.

I use a Nesco VS-12 sealer with food saver bags myself.

I have a Cabelas and very pleased with it. I had to replace the gaskets after about six years. Buy the rolls not bags. That way you can vary the size of the container.

I use an old school FoodSaver that runs about $50 and the cheapest roll of bags I can find on Amazon. Has served me well for many years. I know there's fancier/more expensive but I think the law of diminishing gains versus invested funds applies to something like this. As long as it vacuums and seals... you've done the most important part. The features that the whiz-bang versions include are mostly in how they arrive at that finish line and not about the finish line itself.

FoodSaver here also. Bought a cheap one, with the thought that if I liked using a vac sealer, I could always upgrade my system. I use it all the time, and what I already have works just fine for me.

Also, let me add that I don’t see people talk about the optional jar sealer. I water bath and pressure cooker can a lot of food from my garden. As such, I have a ton of Mason jars that I also use for other food storage-pasta, grains, nuts, etc. FoodSaver makes an attachment that sucks all the air out of a Mason jar. Works great, keeps these foods fresh much longer.

I bought an inexpensive FoodSaver also because I didn’t really know how much I’d use it
Turns out I use it way more than I expected
Its 9 years old and still works great
Like others mentioned I buy the rolls of bags in different widths so I can cut off the size I want

I have a ton of Mason jars that I also use for other food storage-pasta, grains, nuts, etc. FoodSaver makes an attachment that sucks all the air out of a Mason jar. Works great, keeps these foods fresh much longer.
This is definitely something to consider! It really helps keep homemade rubs, especially those with sugar/brown sugar, fresh and relatively clump-free.
My current model has sustained 14 years of regular use and is still fully functional (knock on wood).

We use a FoodSaver unit as well. Ours is several years old and was purchased at Costco. Here’s their latest offering that comes with a supply of rolls and bags: https://www.costco.com/foodsaver-mu...od-preservation-system.product.100648022.html

You can also find FoodSaver units on Amazon, starting at about $95.

I second the idea of buying rolls over pre-made bags; the rolls are more versatile, allowing you to make whatever size bags you need.

For us, the vacuum sealer is an indispensable tool.

We use a FoodSaver unit as well. Ours is several years old and was purchased at Costco. Here’s their latest offering that comes with a supply of rolls and bags: https://www.costco.com/foodsaver-mu...od-preservation-system.product.100648022.html

You can also find FoodSaver units on Amazon, starting at about $95.

I second the idea of buying rolls over pre-made bags; the rolls are more versatile, allowing you to make whatever size bags you need.

For us, the vacuum sealer is an indispensable tool.
I bought this one as well a couple of years ago, easy to use and have used a ton! Unless you are going to eat all of your food within a couple of days, you really need one. I love to cook ahead and then freeze so we always have awesome food.

I cooked a Beef Tenderloin 2 weeks ago, froze it then heated it up Sous Vide Easter weekend and it was awesome. Just give you lots of options.

And as much as I love to grill, it is nice to have a day off!!!

Very much appreciate the experience and tips from those here.

I want to purchase a vac sealer; never used one (I know). Any recs for a entry level vac sealer (but very good to high quality)? Bag recs appreciated as well.
I can give you more info on what NOT to buy...whatever they currently sell at Costco. I have had three of those units break or just quit functioning with minimal use. I vote for the forum member who suggested the ones they sell at Cabelas.

I can give you more info on what NOT to buy...whatever they currently sell at Costco. I have had three of those units break or just quit functioning with minimal use. I vote for the forum member who suggested the ones they sell at Cabelas.
I read a lot of reviews saying the exact same thing about that model. A couple of months ago, I thought my oldie was going to conk out, and I had this one in mind.

We use our Foodsaver all the time. We roast whole chickens and schred them to supplement our dog's food. Last night, I vacuum packed a bunch of ribs.

In our freezer, we keep pulled pork, ribs, and sometimes brisket, and smoked sausage. That allows the 2 of us to have bbq meats available most anytime and in single meal size servings. I don't know how we lived without a vacuum sealer.

I've taken to double sealing the seams. 2 seal strips per end. Definitely get the rolls. Each job requires different size/length bags.

We use our Foodsaver all the time. We roast whole chickens and schred them to supplement our dog's food. Last night, I vacuum packed a bunch of ribs.

In our freezer, we keep pulled pork, ribs, and sometimes brisket, and smoked sausage. That allows the 2 of us to have bbq meats available most anytime and in single meal size servings. I don't know how we lived without a vacuum sealer.

I've taken to double sealing the seams. 2 seal strips per end. Definitely get the rolls. Each job requires different size/length bags.
That’s what I like about the Nesco….it’s a button press to double seam the ends.

Great thread.
After looking around, I think I'll get the 5800 Series from FoodSaver. It has some added features we don't need, but gets good reviews and there are some helpful videos highlighting its use. My main concern will be the automatic features failing in the long run.
If you go to the FoodSaver website, there are added discounts for buying more items (bags, containers, jar sealers, etc) - up to 40%.

That’s what I like about the Nesco….it’s a button press to double seam the ends.
Okay, @JGW, you may have converted me. My FoodSaver is getting decrepit, and I’m looking at replacements. But I also wasn’t willing to give up my canisters or my mason jar attachment, so I hadn’t really considered the Nesco. But it turns out that not only has the Nesco VS-12 been one of the highest rated sealers on the market, but it supposedly can work with the FoodSaver attachments? Do you have any experience doing this, by any chance?

Last edited:
Great thread.
After looking around, I think I'll get the 5800 Series from FoodSaver. It has some added features we don't need, but gets good reviews and there are some helpful videos highlighting its use. My main concern will be the automatic features failing in the long run.
If you go to the FoodSaver website, there are added discounts for buying more items (bags, containers, jar sealers, etc) - up to 40%.
That looks really nice. I have the precursor to that model, and things have held up very well for over 14 years. One thing that I hope they fixed on the new model is how finicky the automatic bag sensing is. I have to very specifically place a LOT of bag into the machine for it to detect and seal. I estimate that I waste between 3-4 inches outside of the seal every time I make a bag from the roll. Hopefully it’s different now. The part that’s currently wearing out is the left side that automatically clamps down on the bag before suctioning the air.

Last edited:
Over the years I've looked at the Weston pro sealers when the subject has come up. Don't know anything about them. Anyone?

Costco sells the Pro-1100 for $120 off the MSRP.
weston vac sealer.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back