Firepot Vac

Smokin'_Bear

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I'm looking for some kind of mini vac that I can use just to clean out the firepot every 4-5 cooks, without dragging out the big shop vac. I just don't know if ash is something that you can't use one of the "dust buster" type vacs with. I've seen some with crevice tool attachments and wondered if that would work. Anyone use something like this?

Not cheap by any stretch, but here is what I use now. I used a corded fireplace vac for the past 4 years or so, but as I never vac hot ash and it would always plug up quickly, combined with needing a plug to power it, I made a switch this summer. This will not be feasible for most, but if you already use Bosch 18v cordless tools (I do), the Bosch cordless shop vac is outstanding. Just be sure to get a filter condom as the fine dust will clog any vac filter in no time. BTW, any cordless vac (less $$) would do the same. I picked the Bosch because I already have the batteries and charger.

Bosch 18v vac

"stinger" from HD (I guess because it's black and yellow and small). It's a 2.5 gal shop vac.
We have one for outdoors and one for indoors. It's around $40.

picked up a 3 gal Shop Vac when I got the smoker, works fine. I use it before a cook so no issue with hot coals. I have, but don’t use, the crevasse tool, just the round nozzle and occasionally the brush one.

I guess I'm sort of spoiled. I take one of my Buckethead vacuums that snaps on top of a five gallon bucket. I plug it into the outlet on my 1250 and make quick work of cleaning out the cooker. I have a second Buckethead for dealing with clean pellets out of the hopper.

I guess I'm sort of spoiled. I take one of my Buckethead vacuums that snaps on top of a five gallon bucket. I plug it into the outlet on my 1250 and make quick work of cleaning out the cooker. I have a second Buckethead for dealing with clean pellets out of the hopper.
I have used the same product for clean up for three years with success. Cheap and effective.

I'm looking for some kind of mini vac that I can use just to clean out the firepot every 4-5 cooks, without dragging out the big shop vac. I just don't know if ash is something that you can't use one of the "dust buster" type vacs with. I've seen some with crevice tool attachments and wondered if that would work. Anyone use something like this?
Easy vacuum is a bucket. You just buy the motor unit and it snaps onto a standard 5 gallon bucket.can get them
Pretty much anywhere.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HyperTou...tA1kKn2XR6Lqtw0PnVt90-KqIQIjtPsRoC45gQAvD_BwE

I've been using a Rigid ash vac (similar to a bucket head vac) for the last several years. The description is "Rigid 5 gal. Ash Vacuum for Wood Pellet Stoves and Fireplaces". It was around $100 a few years ago. It's now around $130. It works well, although like a lot of others, the filter can get plugged up, however it's pretty easy to knock the ash off by tapping the filter. Here's one of the entries on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1859855312...tCS6k51A42BP9npD4MP8PZE4o=|tkp:Bk9SR56yjKvhYg

I use a cordless Makita to vacuum out mine. I use a Margin trowel and get most of the ash that I can and then I use the vacuum.

I use a plastic spoon and it takes less than 1 minute. If you really want to get fancy, bend a grapefruit spoon and use that. Am I missing something here? On my Bull there isn’t enough ash to warrant getting any devices out for the job. Scarface would’t even bother with the small amount of residual “powder“ left over using my method.

I use a plastic spoon and it takes less than 1 minute. If you really want to get fancy, bend a grapefruit spoon and use that. Am I missing something here? On my Bull there isn’t enough ash to warrant getting any devices out for the job. Scarface would’t even bother with the small amount of residual “powder“ left over using my method.
We don't have brown-outs in Chicago, I use the baby shop vac. ;)

I feel like you’re still paying extra because it says “ash vac” .. it’s a dang mini wet/dry vac.. am I wrong here ?
Well, its 5 gallon for $75...was $140. That's as cheap or cheaper than regular shop vacs, so not paying extra. Comes with floor attachments, etc.

This ash/shop vac has metal container, metal lined hose, and heat resistant prefilter....Nice to have....I smoked a roast to use in chili then shut it down for a while b4 needing to start it again to smoke the chili....Should have vacuumed it out as had a brief period of the nasty smoke at start up....That in itself is why I personally wanted an ash vac.

Well, its 5 gallon for $75...was $140. That's as cheap or cheaper than regular shop vacs, so not paying extra. Comes with floor attachments, etc.

This ash/shop vac has metal container, metal lined hose, and heat resistant prefilter....Nice to have....I smoked a roast to use in chili then shut it down for a while b4 needing to start it again to smoke the chili....Should have vacuumed it out as had a brief period of the nasty smoke at start up....That in itself is why I personally wanted an ash vac.
Just talked to my dad… he’s got a mini vac I can use.. hells yeah ! #freefiddy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back