Bull Useful life?

Like JGW I keep my 590 covered to keep the desert out of it. It’s under a covered patio and its hopper is often partially full. We only get a few inches of rain annually so moisture isn’t an issue. I keep it clean and expect it to outlast me!

I have seen a few other threads on this topic but few are conclusive or even lead to a point of view. My request for feedback from this group is around useful life of their 700 and environmental factors. "e.g. have had mine 5 years, stored under rook, use 10 times a year, etc.).

The reason for my question is i decided to make 321 ribs today we are finally in between seasons (Baseball ended football starts in two weeks). With 4 teenagers I have not done a lot of cooking on my 700 (also have an egg, griddle and gasser). Mine is covered when not in use.

When i pulled my cover today the rust, paint bubbling (exterior) was really shocking. It as though it aged 3-4 years since my last cook a month ago or so. Maybe it was a bit of the pollen, cob webs catching leafs, etc. and other dirt that threw me, but candidly it was the first time i looked at my Bull and thought - yikes, i might only get another year out of this.

Mine is 4 years old. Maybe 5 at most.. I used it a lot early but now it is 12 times a year or so. I haven't replaced anything. Fire box... external paint, warming box, chimney all looking rough. I keep it covered most of the time.

Thoughts?

Thank you....
Was it the factory cover, or a plastic tarp? If if was a moisture impervious cover it is possible that condensation built up under it and caused your problem but if it was only a "month or so", I would question if that could cause it.

I have seen a few other threads on this topic but few are conclusive or even lead to a point of view. My request for feedback from this group is around useful life of their 700 and environmental factors. "e.g. have had mine 5 years, stored under rook, use 10 times a year, etc.).

The reason for my question is i decided to make 321 ribs today we are finally in between seasons (Baseball ended football starts in two weeks). With 4 teenagers I have not done a lot of cooking on my 700 (also have an egg, griddle and gasser). Mine is covered when not in use.

When i pulled my cover today the rust, paint bubbling (exterior) was really shocking. It as though it aged 3-4 years since my last cook a month ago or so. Maybe it was a bit of the pollen, cob webs catching leafs, etc. and other dirt that threw me, but candidly it was the first time i looked at my Bull and thought - yikes, i might only get another year out of this.

Mine is 4 years old. Maybe 5 at most.. I used it a lot early but now it is 12 times a year or so. I haven't replaced anything. Fire box... external paint, warming box, chimney all looking rough. I keep it covered most of the time.

Thoughts?

Thank you....
I don’t have a 700 but I have a 590. I bought the cover from the start. I use mine about 2-3x a week. The smoker does not show any signs of rust being under cover 100% of the time. My pellet hopper has never shown any moisture in it. I’ve burnt a couple thousand pounds of pellets through and and I haven’t had any trouble. I guess it’s just your location??? Not sure. I live in the Midwest and have incredible temp swings. Still have no rust to note. Hope you find a reason for your problem.

How old is your cover? My 700 cover worked well for its first two years, now the rain goes right through it.
about 2 years old. Honestly it doesnt surprise me that the cover fails after a few years, unfortunately. My old GMG grill cover for my old GMG lasted about 2 years as well, thing would sit in that sun, fade, and crack, and then be subject to the moisture.

I will say I had an issue with one of the cheap snaps breaking on the cover and REcTeq did send me a new cover and told me to keep the old one, so thankfully I have another cover on standby when needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back